“Just a very pleasant place to stay”
Review of The Spa Hotel

The Spa Hotel
Reviewed 24 June 2014

Unfortunately we could only book a room for one night, if we had known what a lovely place Saltburn is, what lovely weather we were going to have, and furthermore what an utterly brilliant find of a hotel we were going to come across, we would have made arrangements to stay for longer!!

Our Room was situated at the back of the building (Upstairs) and was complimented with a lovely view of the surrounding cliffs, and indeed a Sea view. We ate in the restaurant and all three courses were superb, not too filling, but certainly left with our appetites satisfied! I would recommend the Lamb Chop, Superbly cooked, and so many flavours complimenting the dish.

I was a bit shocked to see the review further down, as expected to see a whole array of wonderful comments. We found every single member of staff to be so friendly, and Fred and Bryn (Who may be father and son I forgot to ask). . .Well, who was it who said Chivalry was dead!?

We have booked to return again with the in-laws and are really looking forward to our returning visit!

Room Tip: Rooms at the rear of the hotel!
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Spa47, Owner at The Spa Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 September 2014

Thank you for your lovely review. It's been a very busy summer but your comments in June were very appreciated, I can assure you. We're really pleased you enjoyed your meal and are coming back to us in the future. The review you refer to was actually an ex member of staff~sadly, Trip advisor's vetting policy is often lacking but thank you for your support; it is greatly appreciated.

We look forward to seeing you again.

Cathy

Reviewed 23 June 2014

My husband, sister-in-law, her husband, and I spent 3 days at the Spa Hotel two weeks ago. The view was the reason our English cousins, who live in Saltburn, selected this hotel, and the views were breath taking. Fred, the manager, and the entire staff were extremely friendly and helpful. The food was amazing. In fact, we wanted to get a gift certificate for dinner for our cousins at the Spa, but disappointingly, none were available. Our rooms were clean and larger than I had anticipated from an older building. Renovations were underway and I hope that on our next trip, we will get to experience them as well. We were all very happy with our stay and would definitely return to the Spa Hotel. I can't imagine anyone giving this hotel a bad rating.

2  Thank Kathy L

Hi Kathy,

Thank you for your review~ we must sort our restaurant gift vouchers! Thank you for your great tip. We do offer voucher for our Afternoon Teas and our new Amber Rooms beauty and holistic rooms~we shall expand our repertoire.
We're really pleased you had a good time. Rooms 11-16 are our work in progress and we know they will be beautiful when completed. Next time, you shall have one!

Very best wishes and thank you again,

Cathy, Jonathan and our lovely Spa Hotel team

Reviewed 18 June 2014

First of all I have to say that I don't know where Angelina stayed, but it's hard to believe that it was a recent stay at the Spa. We found everything about the Spa to be excellent including all the staff. Our room was freshly decorated with all the facilities that you would expect My wife asked for some extra items and they were provided willingly and cheerfully.We were visiting the area to see our granddaughter and when ever she was with us she was made very welcome, she joined us for breakfast several mornings at no extra charge. We stayed for a week and the excellence of cleanliness, courtesy of staff, hospitality and the food was constant throughout. We found Fred, the Manager to be very friendly and responsive to our needs. We stayed at the spa several years ago and yes, back then, it was very poor but that has all changed. I understand that hotel was taken over three years ago and the renovation project has been on-going since then, it was apparent that there were still some rooms to be refurbished fully but I have no doubt that it all will be completed to the same high standard that we experienced. We would happily return to the Spa in the future and recommend it highly to others.

4  Thank waterfallEngland
Spa47, Owner at The Spa Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 July 2014

Thank you very much for your kind words. We took over The Spa two years ago and whilst the refurbishment is a huge challenge to us (and our kids!) we are totally committed to making our hotel a lovely, warm and happy place where everybody can relax. We love food, we love the seaside and Saltburn gives a little snapshot of what we all seek in life; friendly people, a calmer pace and some great spots to visit. Your granddaughter is very, very welcome~we hope she found our library and games room.

Please do come again and thank you, we really do appreciate your review.

Cathy, Jonathan and all our team at The Spa x

Reviewed 16 June 2014

Thank you Spa for our on going Sunday Lunches.
Your new menu is absolutely brilliant
We have seen some staff changes, we welcome back Bryn what can we say, such a gentleman,
so friendly. Thank you to Fred for his excellent welcome and for making our friends and our father with health problems so welcome. Well done Spa for keeping up your excellent standards
we enjoy every minute of our Sunday lunch. thank you .

3  Thank earthbeat
Spa47, Owner at The Spa Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 July 2014

Thank you so much for your wonderful review. We really appreciate you taking the time and are so pleased that our hotel is somewhere where you and your family feel welcomed and looked after.

Thank you~your words are much appreciated.

Best wishes,

Cathy, Jonathan and all the team at The Spa.

Reviewed 8 June 2014

It was certainly a wise decision when I booked a room for my nearest and dearest in this family run hotel, not only for its location with magnificent views over the bay but for affordability and the friendliness of the staff. Our room was a generous size to say the least, with two double and one single bed. Crisp white bed linen and bounce back pillows made for a good nights sleep. Obligatory tea making facilities, hairdryer and bathroom miniatures available, along with ample towels. Our accommodation was slightly dated but it didn't make our stay any the less enjoyable( I understand the rooms are in line for a gradual for a make over), so maybe on a return visit I will get to reside in one of these.
Unfortunately, our stay didn't coincide with the opening of their new 'Amber Rooms' gutted! A member of staff did give us a heads up, describing the opulence that was in store for anyone booking a treatment, that someone will definitely be me, especially with Decleor being their product choice for pampering!
Breakfast was a 'full English' for myself, my friend opted for the continental both of which were delicious.
I wish the hotel every success with the modernisation and their new venture of spa treatments, the hotel will now be worthy of its name.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
Spa47, Owner at The Spa Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 July 2014

Sorry for such a delay! We've been so busy preparing for a busy Summer and have been a bit remiss with Trip advisor reviews. We're really sorry too that you missed our Amber Rooms opening! We have a great 25% discount on every treatment until the end of August so if this fits within your summer calendar, please come back and we'll spoil you! We have a few star therapists who are Decléor trained and really add to the experience of staying away and taking a break.

Thank you for taking the time to review us~ we really do appreciate it and our staff love to read feedback.

Best wishes,

Cathy, Jonathan and our lovely team

Reviewed 2 June 2014

Had a wonderful short break at the Spa Hotel last week. Always enjoy our stay there, the drinks are reasonably priced for an hotel and the room was quiet, very clean and comfortable. I had a pot on my leg at the time but I rang the hotel to book a room which I knew we could park right outside for easy access for me. The staff, as always, were incredibly helpful and friendly and the weather was great so an added bonus. On the downside, we always look forward to, what I have previously always believed to be, the best fish and chips in Saltburn. Sadly, this time we were disappointed. The fish was nice but so much thick, heavy batter! and unfortunately it was served with 'French Fries'. We had a friendly debate with the manager the next morning about home cooked chips versus frozen French fries - sorry! - no contest ESPECIALLY with fish!! Breakfast is always a little lacking in cereal choice (have commented on this before) but the fresh fruit was nice and the cooked breakfast was fine. All in all, a lovely, restful stay and we will be back.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Thanks for your review and for becoming a regular customer. Hopefully next time you'll be happier with our Fish & Chips; there's plenty more choice on seafood these days so something for everyone.

Hope to see you soon.

Cathy Kelly

Reviewed 30 May 2014

Having stayed at The Spa Hotel before we knew what to expect only this time was probably our last.
Our room was around the back looking onto a carpark, it was very dated and felt grotty. When I removed the bin liner from the bin (because we had a lot of rubbish) there were old toe nail clippings in the bottom, yuck! There were also cobwebs hanging from the bedside lamp which made me wonder when this room had last been cleaned??? The bathroom was very cramped and dated with a small bath, only big enough to sit in, and hosepipe type shower. When my daughter used the shower it completely flooded the bathroom so I ended up mopping up, (it was supposed to be a holiday)! And there were constant plumbing/pipe noises coming through the corner of our room...
The TV signal comes and goes which makes it difficult to watch, not sure if this is hotel or regional fault?
Breakfast was basic, I was informed that they did not have any smoked salmon or kippers which left the usual cereal, toast, etc.
On a plus the location really does this hotel proud, Saltburn is a great place to visit but otherwise £75.00 for a mucky old fashioned room is not my idea of money well spent. When I informed the man on reception of my disappointment I was given a standard "Oh I am very sorry" type reply whilst he processed my card payment...

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Spa47, Owner at The Spa Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 31 May 2014

Thank you for your review. We do recall your stay and your comments when you left. It's very disappointing that you were a returning customer as we are overwhelmingly told by past customers that the changes are a dramatic improvement.

Our bathrooms are due for renovation and are being addressed-you will have noticed that we are having outdoor masonry work, decoration and the refurbishment is evident. 7 of our bathrooms in the new rooms have been completed-the rest are imminent but we are now into our busy period and this sort of work takes place when we are quieter. Housekeepers clean the rooms every day-at no point would a bedroom ever not be cleaned between guests staying. I will pass on your comments to our Head Housekeeper.

We're sorry that you didn't feel that you had good value for money with the £75 bed and breakfast tag (for two people). I have copied and pasted our included full breakfast menu below which is additional to our unlimited cereals, fruit, Tea and Coffee. I'm sorry that none of the other options were appealing to you.

Cathy Kelly

Served between 7.00 - 10.00am - newspapers available at the weekend
Scrambled, Poached, Boiled or Fried Eggs served with Toast.
Full English Breakfast including Bacon, Sausage, Black Pudding,Tomato, Mushrooms, Hash Brown, Baked Beans and choose from Fried, Poached or Scrambled Eggs
Vegetarian Full English Breakfast
All of the above with a Vegetarian Sausage and award winning Vegetarian Black Pudding
Omelette
Either Plain or choose from the following ingredients:
Cheese, Tomato,Ham and/or Mushrooms
Smoked Salmon and Cream Cheese on a Toasted Bagel
Smoked Salmon and Scrambled Eggs on Toast
Smoked Kippers served with Poached or Scrambled Eggs
Yoghurts are available - please ask us for flavours

Also consider these accommodations in or near Saltburn-by-the-Sea
Hunley Hotel and Golf Club
Cliffemount Hotel
Cliffemount Hotel
#1 of 2 in Runswick
The Endeavour Restaurant with Rooms

Been to The Spa Hotel? Share your experiences!