“When is a ploughmans not a ploughmans?”
Review of The Grapes - CLOSED

The Grapes
Price range: US$13 - US$21
Good for: Child-friendly, View
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 16 April 2014

Travelling back from Teeside on Monday lunch time we thought we would stop off for lunch, wish we had not bothered.
Ordered our drinks took a look at menu and ordered 2 cheese and ham ploughmans. Landlord and his partner then sat down for their lunch!! thought that a little strange. When they had finished our 'ploughmans' appeared. A ham and cheese bagette with side salad!!!
I stated that if I had ordered a bagette it would of been fine but I hadn't. It appears they don't know what a ploughmans consists of!!!
I complained and had my money refunded for one ploughmans.
It was rubbish I shall never go again.

1  Thank Linda P

Reviewed 16 April 2014

My friend and I called in for an early lunch on our way to Runswick Bay. We were warmly welcomed and there was a great choice of food on the menu including vegetarian and vegan dishes. I had poached salmon salad - the salmon was freshly cooked and just right and the mixed salad was great. My friend had an all-day breakfast which looked delicious! This pub is old-fashioned and characterful - it needs some work doing (for example the toilets need refurbishment but were very clean) but the owner knows this and has started to do it. The Grapes is in a lovely location within easy reach of Whitby, Staithes, Runswick Bay and many other lovely places, with excellent walks on the moors right on the doorstep. They have accommodation and I immediately started thinking about a longer visit to the area: it would make a great base for a holiday or weekend.

Reviewed 27 March 2014

Stopped here with my family for Sunday Carvery. Upon entering we were taken by the waiter to the dinning room, which is need of great repair. The food was served out by a long grey greasy haired man who ran his hand through his hair before serving out our food. The food was only Luke warm and the slices of beef were paper thin. The waiter spent his time staring at us while we ate and never once asked if we were ok. The toilets were in a very bad state with
Holes in the floor and the windows had not been open in years as they were sealed tight with paint. The children's play area was over grown with weeds knee high. Don't waste your time stopping here.

2  Thank Noeleen F
Reviewed 27 March 2014

We Visited just out of season some some places in Whitby and around were not open. The Grapes about 15 minutes outside Whitby and easy to reach other area like Runswick Bay and Staithes so location is good. We were made to feel very welcome as we arrived and as it was a day the chef was not working the landlord made us supper which was so nice we asked for the same again the next night.Breakfast was lovely too.
The Landlord only took over a year ago and is trying to build the buisness up and i have to say is doing a great job . The pub has an open fire resturant play area etc .
A really relaxed 2 night stay .

1  Thank stella m
Reviewed 25 February 2014

Met up with a friend there today for lunch. Pie of the day was sold out as was the gammon which left fish pasta or chicken parmo, I ordered parmo, chips looked really nice and portion size was good, when it came to the chicken, it was still pink, and red in the middle and mushy at the edges topped with the thickest white sauce and cheese to disguise it!took it back to the bar the waitress took it to the chef, 2mins later she came back out and said chef said to give your money back! No offer for it to be cooked, or for anything else! The highchair was absolutely filthy. Will not be returning. It's a health hazard.

1  Thank Mary S