“Stay away!”

Price range: US$14 - US$22
Good for: Child-friendly, View
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 10 June 2014 via mobile

We went to the Grapes for a relaxed family Sunday dinner.
Carvery was terrible - dry beef and over cooked veg.
Strawberry cheesecake dessert was off - see pic uploaded.
Went to pay the bill explained to the barmaid she should let the chef know not to serve anymore off cheesecake. She replied 'ok'. Turned her back and carried on taking the payment.
No customer service skills snd blatantly didn't care.

4  Thank Kayleigh S
There are newer reviews for The Grapes

Reviewed 3 June 2014

This was Faulty Towers without Manuel and Sybil. Basil was floundering from the off and heaven only knows what was happening in the kitchen but it wasn't cooking. Drinking oneself into oblivion wasn't an option either as all four cask ales were off at the same time.

Reviewed 3 June 2014

the grapes is a country pub which many people will just pass by.
on entering we were met with a smiling face and a lovely warm welcome, the owner i believe has not had this pub for long, and he is try to improve the decoration as he can.
when we ordered our food the portions were big, the food was hot and fresh,

in total there was five of us in our party all of us said we would go back.
the only down side if you could say that is was it was quiet, but it did not spoil the welcome we had from the owners

WARNING. I had the mixed grill. and I love my food. but it was massive and it was to much for me to eat. maybe due to the lovely potato skins I had for starters

the value for money was excellent

yes it is getting improved over time and it will become a hidden jem

Reviewed 16 April 2014

Travelling back from Teeside on Monday lunch time we thought we would stop off for lunch, wish we had not bothered.
Ordered our drinks took a look at menu and ordered 2 cheese and ham ploughmans. Landlord and his partner then sat down for their lunch!! thought that a little strange. When they had finished our 'ploughmans' appeared. A ham and cheese bagette with side salad!!!
I stated that if I had ordered a bagette it would of been fine but I hadn't. It appears they don't know what a ploughmans consists of!!!
I complained and had my money refunded for one ploughmans.
It was rubbish I shall never go again.

1  Thank Linda P
Reviewed 16 April 2014

My friend and I called in for an early lunch on our way to Runswick Bay. We were warmly welcomed and there was a great choice of food on the menu including vegetarian and vegan dishes. I had poached salmon salad - the salmon was freshly cooked and just right and the mixed salad was great. My friend had an all-day breakfast which looked delicious! This pub is old-fashioned and characterful - it needs some work doing (for example the toilets need refurbishment but were very clean) but the owner knows this and has started to do it. The Grapes is in a lovely location within easy reach of Whitby, Staithes, Runswick Bay and many other lovely places, with excellent walks on the moors right on the doorstep. They have accommodation and I immediately started thinking about a longer visit to the area: it would make a great base for a holiday or weekend.