“Arrogant owner”

Cuisines: Pizza, British
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 10 August 2014

I had seen the reviews so thought this would be fine for lunch on a Saturday. I was going to give this 2 blobs because we had awful service, my food was very poor. My husband's salad was ok. I increased it to 3 blobs as the loos were nice. Then I spoke to the owner, who I had spotted about. Then it went back to 2 again.
We went in and no one approached us. After asking a waitress, we sat down. Nothing was explained at all. No menu was given to us. Eventually, we borrowed a menu from another table and just happened to notice that it said in small writing that you had to order from the bar. We looked at the board to see any specials. It mentioned them but not where they were. Again we had to ask. They were on a piece of paper at the bar! In the mean time, other people came and sat down near us but left as they were ignored. Also a lady was asked (politely) to move by a waitress, as she was standing in the middle wondering where to go.
My panini was underdone. It had a very small amount of hummus but had cooked pepper as described. There was't even a tomato to accompany it, but a very small bowl of crisps rather strangely. My husband's salad was quite nice, though I missed it on the menu as it was amongst the pastas. Both took a very long time to come and we did not have the time to re-order my panini.
I approached the owner, who was then sitting with his family. I explained that I had read reviews here so felt it necessary to give him my opinion - nicely. Immediately he was on the defensive, interrupting me with his opinion. He stated that there were a lot of satisfied customers, totally ignoring my carefully worded and polite comments. We saw that lady later on and she approached us. She said she was a regular and could not believe the way we were treated by the owner, who was arrogant to the extreme, even arguing with my comments. Guess whether we will go back..

3  Thank Purdey

Reviewed 10 August 2014 via mobile

Always great food and great atmosphere. Laid back, friendly and reasonable prices. Visit regulatly with friends. Good choice of wine and cocktails as well as coffees and soft drinks. Something for everyone.

Reviewed 9 August 2014

I was in the cafe today and someone complained i have to say I've been coming to rapps and the grill for years and I've never had cause to get so uptight!!!! At the end of the day I live in the area and choose to travel to Saltburn for Rapps and the Grill- Gregg and the girls u r fab!!!!

Reviewed 7 August 2014 via mobile

Visited early evening.
Great choice of pizza with additional ' specials' menu.
Good choice of drinks - coffees,
cocktails etc available.
Staff friendly and helpful - definitely worth a visit.

Reviewed 30 July 2014 via mobile

Lunch with friends, good food and atmosphere love the bacon and brie sandwhich .fab. Very good service. One of the best cafes in saltburn