“Lovely food, Northumberland portions!”

General Havelock Inn
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed 3 August 2014 via mobile

My partner and I had some drinks out in the lovely beer garden overlooking the South Tyne before heading inside to the restaurant to eat. Lovely traditional feel to everything. He had mushroom soup and I had the cheese croquettes - both lovely. Home made bread was given to us as well, also lovely. Main courses of steak and rack of lamb also thoroughly enjoyed along with a tasty bottle of red wine. We've lived in Northumberland for a year now in a neighbouring village and find generous portion sizes are typical when eating out, and the Havelock was no exception. All very reasonably priced, we'll be back!

2  Thank Alyson D

Reviewed 29 July 2014

Excellent steak and the Chateau Musa wine from Lebanon went well with it..Service bit amateurish but OK.

1  Thank Delaporte
Reviewed 29 June 2014

We went as a party of four today for Sunday lunch. We had three courses and the lovely petit fours with coffee to finish. The starters were scrumptious and we had three different things with all of is loving our choices. Two of us had the beef and two had the chicken and they were both delicious. Beautifully cooked vegetables, succulent meat, lovely roast and creamed potatoes. We finished with a couple of deserts which were just lovely. The petit fours and brandy basket with coffee were to die for. One tiny thing is that they only serve one type of coffee which is very strong and bot at all to my taste although my friends enjoyed it. I'm very much a cappuccino person and it's just personal taste but it's a simple thing to offer hot milk with the coffee to suit all tastes. Just a suggestion which I hope helps but it didn't affect the fantastic lunch overall which is why I have graded 5 starts.

1  Thank David P
Reviewed 28 June 2014

It's good, not great because the Chef tries too hard, why not keep it simple. Good soup, nice gravalax swamped by mayonnaise, mains could have been good, but duck and pork overcooked, it's easy to be critical, but with a little more care the food could have been very good, but OH the napkins, why have white linen tablecloths coupled with the smallest, nastiest one ply tissues. .
It's a shame that the only access to the terrace means squeezing between diners in the restaurant.

Reviewed 19 June 2014 via mobile

My friend and i stopped here for lunch today and were not disappointed! Lovely homemade chicken,leek and ham pie and beer battered cod and chips were beautifully cooked and delicious. Chocolate fondant and ice cream and apricot bread and butter pudding with cream were divine! The owner is lovely,very attentive and welcoming and the atmosphere is relaxed, the decor stunning. Can't wait to go back!

1  Thank Shirley J