“Shockingly bad.”

The Anchor
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“Shockingly bad.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2014

I recently visited for an evening meal with friends and I was absolutely disgusted. The entire pub had a dusty, dull smoke smell to it, dated carpets throughout and sticky dining tables. The toilets had an unkempt, dirty smell which was masked by a pungent air freshener.

And that's just the start...

Firstly I was shocked by the menu itself, a sheet of paper on a clipboard, with no front cover and many spelling mistakes - very unprofessional. I ordered a chicken burger with salad which eventually arrived after OVER AN HOUR of waiting, accompanied by a short black/ dark grey hair on the side of my plate - absolutely disgusting! I brushed this off as after a busy day and after waiting so long for my food to arrive I was just glad to be eating at last! The chicken burger was laced with grease and mayonnaise, it was the first time I had actually felt unhealthy and slightly sick whilst eating chicken and salad!! I was truly disgusted by the service time, the uncleanliness of the pub and the poor quality of my food. I would not recommend 'The Anchor' to anybody.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank Mary H

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 July 2014

Myself and my boyfriend stayed at The Anchor Hotel over the weekend for 1 night whilst attending a friends wedding on the Saturday and choosing to spend the following day walking - We planned to arrive earlier than check-in with a view to eat before the wedding (with the wedding being a later than usual start we thought we best feed up before spending a night drinking wine) Having arrived early we were welcomed by a wonderful, friendly member of staff who promptly checked us in and showed us to our room - so accomodating as we knew we were early! Our room had everything we needed for our stay and they were beautifully decorated. After a quick reccy of the room we headed down to the bar to take a look at the menu; the weather was fantastic so we took a look outside and chose to sit and bask in the midday sun on the decking overlooking the river and watching the ducks! The waitress promptly took our order and our food was served - WOW! Portions were fantastic and the value for money was unbelievable. Wonderfully presented and outstandingly tasty - worth it just for the food! After filling up we headed back to our room to get ready for the wedding; the bathrooms were clean and the shower was lovely and hot. Once dressed we headed back down to the bar to have a quick drink before heading to the wedding; without even asking the friendly girl on the bar offered to call us a taxi and one arrived in no time.
After a gorgeous wedding we headed back to the hotel where the locals were still drinking and being merry so we finished the night off with a night cap and the landlord joined us; such an interesting guy who told us all about the history of the hotel dating back to the 18th Century and that part of the building is listed.
We headed to bed after maybe a little too much wine :-/. The bed was comfortable, cosy and warm (more comfortable than my bed at home!).
We woke and headed down for our breakfast and what a wonderful sight that was! Full english breakfast - the works. The perfect start to the day and an excellent cure to a slightly heavy head! The landlord was up again serving our breakfast and making sure we had everything we needed before we headed home.
What a wonderful surprise and a hidden gem - we will be back!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank TurkeyPudd
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 July 2014

Stayed here for 2 nights visiting Hadrians Wall. The room was lovely , recently decorated and spotlessly clean. Modern en suite, comfy bed. The staff were lovely nothing was too much trouble. Breakfast was fantastic served at exactly the time we wanted all fresh product. We ate there the second night and the food was really good and beautifully presented wished we had eaten there both nights. Would definitely recommend

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank michael a
Manchester, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2014

Room- Recently refurbished so quite comfortable considering how cheap the place is, bed was comfy and clean, furnishings were all modern and the TV was good. Tea and coffee facilities were on hand BUT one of the cups was dirty!

Food- As a vegetarian I couldn't eat anything here, In truth the other places in town seemed limited to, but the breakfast was nice and what i saw other people eat seemed to look well presented and in a decent quantity.

Staff- Nice people, who were polite and attentive, the girl who served breakfast also checked me in and was friendly and chatty both times.

Cleanliness- I returned home from work wanting a shower, I had to go to the shop and get cleaning products before I would step foot in the shower! Other peoples hairs, some form of fungus growing on the shower hose, dirt all round the dial on the shower and shower head. I really was incredibly disappointed in the state of the bathroom.

In summary- a few problems which they could easily sort in the level of cleanliness and the lack of vegetarian options, then the place would be pretty good value for money as I paid under £50!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 May 2014

Had a really bad visit to this hotel. Loud music being played in the kitchens kept people
awake until 2.00am. Landlord very abusive when we complained.
Also uncomfortable bed and very drafty ill fitting windows.
Will not be returning.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
4 Thank Christopher B
Hexham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 May 2014

My brother was here from Wales and we had a family lunch at The Anchor. The staff were very nice and helpful. The food was excellent. My parents had fish and chips, which they said was lovely. My brother had anchor burger which was handmade, he said it was very good ( he's a chef) my sister and I had chicken burgers which were spot on! We had a wait of about 30 mins but was worth every minute! Smashing!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Christine H
Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 April 2014

Have just completed a two night stop in this charming inn with my grandad as an aim to see Hadrians wall and related sights. Not only is it a stone throw from the wall but its a wonderful hotel with comfy rooms, clean and tidy bathrooms and delightful views of the village combine this with the bar/restaurant which serves outstanding food cooked from all local ingredients by a world class chef. Can well recommended the anchor; No matter whether for a cheeky drink, a delightful lunch or a wonderful stay.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Shaftoe's Bed and Breakfast
Shaftoe's Bed and Breakfast
#1 of 7 in Haydon Bridge
The Reading Rooms Bed & Breakfast

Been to The Anchor? Share your experiences!