“Stop the hard sell English Heritage!”

Housesteads Fort and Museum - Hadrian's Wall
Rosslyn Chapel and Hadrian's Wall Small Group Day Tour from Edinburgh
Hampshire
26 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 31 helpful votes
“Stop the hard sell English Heritage!”
Reviewed 13 July 2014

We arrived on foot to Housesteads as part of a 10 mile walk also taking in Vindolanda and a five mile length of the Hadrian's Wall. As National Trust members we did not have to pay but I may have been disappointed if we had. The exhibition is interesting and well presented but rather small. I can only assume there is a policy in EH to push membership as the hard sell we received was very off-putting. If that is the welcome we can expect in EH places from now on, I will think twice about visiting.

The remains of the fort are interesting but if you can only visit one in the area, make it Vindolanda.

Most importantly, walk a section of the wall (even a little bit) and get a feel for the enormity of the construction task and the beauty of this dramatic landscape.

1 Thank Roaming_K

Mons
129 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 152 helpful votes
“Well, that was kind of expensive”
Reviewed 12 July 2014

Stopped by on the way from York to Edinburgh. First off, my ancient GPS decided the cross-country route was faster than the autoroute thru Newcastle. In no hurry, so off we went. AWESOME! Scenery was cool, but better was the 'hidden dip' and 'blind hilltop'. Holy cow, it was like riding a roller coaster! Crest the top at 25mph or you'll go airborne, and then face a vertigo-induce sheer drop down. I want to go back on my Harley!

OK, so we finally get to the fort, and yes, there's a ridiculous parking charge and I didn't have change. Went in and bought tickets to get change, whole bill was around 20 GBP for parking and mom/dad/kid tix. We were in a bit of a hurry, with about an hour to play with, tee time scheduled at our destination.

Made the walk up to the fort, it's about 800m I'd guess, not too bad of a climb, watch out for sheep poop. Then I discovered my ticket was probably for the museum, which we did not have time for. Could've easily just wandered up there w/o a ticket, I think. Oh well, I like to believe all my donations are going to preserve history, so I sleep at night.

The fort is cool and well worth an hour of poking around all by itself. We walked down a bit of the wall to the west. Great pictures.

When we got back to the center, there was some kind of local traditional dance group doing their thing in costume, so that was a freebie bonus.

Worth the detour. Wife and 8yr old son were both pleased and impressed.

Visited June 2014
1 Thank NATOPatsFan
Egham
272 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 366 helpful votes
“Wall great but prices expensive”
Reviewed 10 July 2014 via mobile

We wanted to go up to walk on the wall which is above the fort. We thought £4 was steep for the car park. It might be for all day and more than one car park but still a lot just for a few hours. We got in free to the fort/museum as NT members but if not a member £6.40 is a lot of money for what you get. Plus when you get up there no one was checking the tickets at any point so anyone could have got in and we did see some climbing over a wall at the side! The museum was interesting for children and so was the fort I expect but I didn't find it that interesting. To me the main event was walking on the wall alongside the copse above the fort. There is a section where you can walk actually on the wall. Luckily the weather was glorious so we had a great stroll along the top. We went to the left at the top, I thought I could see what I would get looking to the right but the left went through some woodland so I chose that as I would get a surprise at the other end and it was lovely!

Salisbury, United Kingdom
161 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 176 helpful votes
“Great historic attraction, shame about the car park”
Reviewed 8 July 2014

We have visited Housesteads Fort before, but don't remember there being a £4 charge for the car park. As National Trust members we are used to free parking and this left a nasty taste, especially as we were there for only two hours.
The fort itself is superb, set as it is against a wild and barren landscape, enabling visitors to imagine what it must have been like during the Roman occupation. The signage is good and the visitor centre now has a film show, which is informative.
There was a rather over zealous assistant in the museum/shop trying to persuade everyone to buy a guide book, not realising that some people simply want to look around and interpret what they see in their own way.
The new toilets were welcome, but why isn't there a dedicated coffee shop area in place of a vending machine? It's not like the National Trust and English Heritage to miss the opportunity for a money-making tea shop!

Scotland
36 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 82 helpful votes
“Interesting place”
Reviewed 8 July 2014

Yet another Roman fort - but worth the trek up to see the views and experience a Roman fort. Worth visiting.