“Sunday lunch”

The Anchor Restaurant
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 11 May 2014

We made our regular trip to the Anchor for Sunday lunch, myself and elderly parents.
The staff are fast, polite and helpful. The food is brilliant! We had beef and lamb, it came with a selection of fresh veg, cooked well and creamed and roast potatoes, not forgetting a fab Yorkshire pudding! The deco leaves a little bit to be desired but the food more than makes up for it.

Reviewed 6 May 2014

Burgers are amazing, the gaffer, barmaids and locals very friendly... Best I've seen for a long while....

Reviewed 30 March 2014

Went here for food on our last day of our holiday. Wish we had gone sooner because the food was delicious and the portions were huge. My Mum had fish and the batter was fresh and I had the chicken burger with pineapple and all meals came with chunky chips. Couldn't fault the staff they were very friendly and the pub was also nice and warm as it was wet and windy outside. Do have to agree that the hotel looks like it needs a lick of paint but don't let that put you off.

Reviewed 28 February 2014

This was a delightful surprise, being right beside our B&B and we ate there both nights we were in Haydon's Bridge. I loved the traditional feel and it was obvious this was not a chain pub :) First things first - dogs are allowed! I was so happy to see dogs, well behaved ones mind you, in the bar area, this is such a delightful idea for those of us who were hiking along Hadrian's wall and felt so homely. The mis-matched seats and tables in the restaurant were quirky and kind of stylish. The staff were friendly and didn't rush us.
Menu was great with lots to choose from at a good price. I heard people asking for children's meals and nothing was a trouble even though there isn't a dedicated menu. Food was excellent for both of us, both nights and the chips are gorgeous! Portions are large and we struggled to eat everything but no complaints here. The waiting staff were attentive too.
I would suggest a bathroom makeover but other than that - excellent pub grub.

Reviewed 22 February 2014

Yummy food, no chips with burger, think it was a mistake but only 1 girl working bar and meals, never came back to ask, pub a bit tired looking but food was worth the wait and could put up with wobbly/broken seats mismatch, loved fairy lights in fire. Needs more than a 60minute make over, but it's not a chain pub etc and it would cost a pretty penny, so go for the food and you will enjoy it!

No kids menu but I'm sure the chef can put this right, they do have a fish finger sandwich on adults one.