“Found our special place.”

Brisas Covarrubias Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Puerto Padre
Reviewed 4 May 2014

This was our fourth trip to Cuba, and our first to Covarrubias, Traveled there in April 2014. The bus ride from the airport is 2 hours, so resign yourself to that fact. If you travel in the daylight hours, the scenery is very interesting. The check-in went smoothly, however any changes will only be made the next morning when the day staff arrive.The buildings on the property are all one and two stories, no high-rise structures. They are well spaced out and connected by concrete walkways. The grounds are well maintained and clean. The proximity of the buildings to the beach are very close, only a short walk and you will find one of the most beautiful beaches in Cuba, stunning.
We found the food to be excellent. Always a great selection, and lots of fresh fruit. The staff are friendly and extremely helpful. Always ready to go that extra bit to accommodate you. What I noticed at Covarrubias were the amount of returning vacationers, there were many, so that says a lot for this resort. We had some issues with the water only being available at certain times, however that was not a show stopper for us. We just stayed in the ocean longer, problem solved. The rooms were always cleaned daily, and were more than adequate for our needs. My wife and I will definitely be returning to this resort as soon as we can. We were able to meet some amazing people on this trip, both Cubans and vacationers. Overall we had a fantastic vacation, and have finally found our place in Cuba. If anyone would like more information about this resort, please contact me and I will be happy to answer any questions that you may have.

Room Tip: We asked for and received an upstairs room with a view of the ocean, #2128. If you are not happy wit...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
8  Thank Rod W

Reviewed 28 April 2014

It was my second time back to the Brisas Covarrubias since 2008 when it was known as Villa Covarrubias. Both times I brought along a good friend of mine who has never been to Cuba in his life, so this was a memorable experience. I knew what to expect in terrms of food, service, beach and accomadations, but this time I decided to reserve ahead of time for a suite. I emailed the hotel and after a couple of days I was answered by a polite lady by the name of Iliana who is the hotel director. She took care of everything and advised us that there would be a small fee of 10 cuc each per day for the suite. We agreed and when we arrived on Sunday night March 16th we were amazed by how big and roomy this suite really was.It contained two full bathrooms, a living room with a flat screen tv, a wet bar and a full balcony over looking the ocean, a giant A/C and then to the next room with another flat screen tv and a huge king size bed and another balcony and next to the room was an adjoining full size washroom with a Jacuzzi and a bay window over looking the main pool, with another huge A/C and a full closet and a wall safe. This unit had a fridge in both rooms with water bottles and beer cans and a champagne bottle. Included with the suite we had a lobster diner for two, two complimentary massages and a special party on Friday night at the International Italian A La Carte Restaurant for returning guests. Everyone on the resort is polite and is always ready to direct you to wherever you want to go and the staff treat us like family. The beach is awesome, no waves and plenty of pedalos and catamaran to go sailing.Miss Yenny is in charge of waiters and bartenders and if you need anything concerning food or drinks, she is always there to make sure you are well served. Idania Avalo takes care of ordering the supplies for the hotel and if you have a special liking for something out of the ordinary like maybe Blue Cheese, well if she can get it, she will be more that pleased to order it for the next day at the buffet. Giovanni is an allaround man from being a waiter, a bartender or maybe even a cook. Tony used to be a Caribesol rep and now is one of the Bartenders at the pool bar. He speaks Italian and he's a fully qualified bartender and expresso coffee man. Then there is Raul whom I rarely saw but I hear that he is the main Head Bartender and he makes sure everything runs smoothly. We had a fantastic time both Mike and I and we are truly considering returning before the end of the year. When we left on Sunday March 23rd we were greeted by the hotel staff and the rep of Caribesol with champagne and memories. Thank you to all the staff of the Brisas Covarrubias for a wonderful vacation and till we see you next time.

Room Tip: The VIP suite is well worth it and the rooms in the 3000 unit whic are near the beach are also very...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
8  Thank Marcobello
Reviewed 24 April 2014

My very first visit to Brisas Covarrubias was April 15/14, it will definitely not be my last. My traveling partner had been there in February of 2014 and said that it was worth going back. The staff were phenomenal and very friendly. They knew our names after our first introduction, I was impressed. I did not mind the two hour bus ride to the hotel at all. I like the small and intimate setting of this place. The rooms were clean, had food that was tasty and the best lobster that I have had in a very long time. I could go to a five star with 500+ rooms, however, the feeling of belonging to a small, close knit community will not happen. The beach, oh the beach, it is spectacular!!! Did not mind the gecko and two frogs that visited our room, it added to the ambience of the place.....this is Cuba, a country in the tropics after all.
I could go on and on and on about Covarrubias, however, you need to experience it. Next visit back is going to be for at least ten days and hopefully sooner than later.

Room Tip: All that mattered was a clean room to sleep in at night.
4  Thank Leatitia T
Reviewed 22 April 2014

I was here from April 9-16, 2014 and am somewhat hesitant to write a review and let this little secret out. The resort is small and not a luxury resort but the character it exudes far surpasses any resort I've been to so far. If you're looking for a Sandals level vacation, go to Sandals - I have, and I'll be coming back to this resort as soon as possible, but for 2 weeks next time. If you want to feel like you're in your own little paradise; to relax, recharge and unwind; this is the place to go. Things aren't perfect here but it's just surprising to me how little I noticed or cared. I checked in well after midnight after a 2 hour bus ride (which was entertaining, to say the least). The room was ground floor but ocean front - a perfect location for me because I didn't set foot in the pool the entire week. I was on the beach almost immediately and was not disappointed, even at night. This beach is simply one of the best I've been on and it was one of my most important criteria for a vacation. The room overlooked the beach bar/a la carte so it was an ideal location to be for the week. The staff were simply amazing here. The food was quite good - the fries at the beach restaurant were a daily staple. Even the house wine was good. I was thoroughly impressed by the nightly entertainment. No Michael Jackson impersonators here (thank goodness) but real live local entertainment every night. Check out a young group called Kereya - they were fantastic (I'm still listening to their cd as I drive in my car) and so fresh. I enjoyed that you didn't get the standard resort entertainment.

I can't comment at all on the pool or the entertainment staff as I was on the beach from 8:30 in the morning until it was time to get ready for dinner. Isela in the towel hut is a treasure though - always smiling and friendly, even when she's busy. Also Yanet in the bank, William in maintenance and Horacio in the lobby bar (and disco) were shining examples of great hospitality. Our Canadian hospitality workers could take a lesson. Everyone was friendly though, even the gardeners and maintenance men. I didn't feel like I had to tip to get good service but I tipped because I got good service.

We did go to the disco one night and it was fun even though there weren't a lot of people there. You can have as much or as little fun as you want - it just depends on your personality. I often read reviews and think that so much of a person's experience depends on the traveller and less on the resort. Yes, the public bathrooms weren't always spotlessly clean and there wasn't always toilet paper in them but the resort is small enough that it's never a long walk back to your room (which always had toilet paper) or you can throw a little packet of kleenex in your purse like I did and just be prepared. I didn't have any complaints about the food while here - I didn't go hungry at any meal but I didn't expect to eat at a Michelin star restaurant either. I think you need to go into your vacation knowing what your priorities are, with realistic expectations, and an open mind. If you want a fancy, luxurious vacation then you need to pay for it. This resort is not an expensive vacation but, to me, the experience I had was priceless. I would recommend this resort in a heart beat but only to like-minded travellers.

In short - the beach is spectacular, the food is decent, the rooms are clean and livable, the staff are above-par and I can see why people return to this resort time after time. I think I've found my go-to resort. I'd go alone, with a group, or as a couple - no problems. If anyone has any questions that I didn't address, please message me. Oh, and the mosquitos were present but not unbearable in any way. 2 nights I put on repellant and didn't have any trouble - the rest of the week, no repellant and no issue.

Relax - you're on vacation - enjoy yourself and don't sweat the small stuff - you'll enjoy your vacation so much more.

Room Tip: I don't really think there are any bad rooms but the 2nd floor ocean view rooms would be nice...
12  Thank Shedevil68
Reviewed 10 April 2014

I was a first timer to Cuba, staying at Cova.. We arrived at the Holguin Airport(10 pm) and jumped into a taxi for a 2 hour drive to the resort.. No big deal, we could handle the drive.. We arrived at the resort at midnight and got checked in.. When we got to our room, we found the sliding door open about 6 inches and would not close.. This was an issue, without a door that closed, and locked.. I wasn't sleeping.. I went to the washroom to find the door busted, and no shower head.. The water sprayed straight out of the wall.. We hadn't unpacked so we grabbed our luggage and back to the front desk we went to change rooms (1 am).. We got the key to our second room.. When we arrived to the room, the headboard was on the floor, we had no lights and no shower knob.. By this time we were exhausted.. We (barely) slept in the room for the night.. The next morning(9 am) we went to the front desk and told them that we wanted to pay extra money to be upgraded to a suite.. Unfortunately the resort on has 2 suites and both were already occupied, so we were put into another room (#3 for us in less than 12 hours).. Much to our surprise, the third room was fine.. Everything worked, AND it was ocean view!!! After finally getting settled, our week went okay. We met a few great people who made it hard to leave them behind at the end of our vacation.. If you can't keep yourself entertained, DO NOT come to this resort.. They don't have a lot of people or a lot of activities throughout the day.. The resort itself needs some major renovating (paint, new artwork, furniture, etc).. Beach was the best part, it was beautiful.. Personally if I travel to Cuba again, I will pay the money to stay at a better resort, in a better room.. If you don't mind a little need for cosmetic work, this is a nice, cheap place to stay!

Room Tip: Pay extra before you get there and get a suite!!! Better yet, go somewhere else for a bit more money...
5  Thank Kristy G
Reviewed 9 April 2014

I loved Brisas Covarrubias. It was quiet and clean, the staff were amazingly friendly and the beach.... oh, the beach! Absolutely gorgeous! I went there with my husband and 2 children for one week and we had a wonderful time. Granted, Brisas Covarrubias is not for people looking for a party hotel nor for luxuries. It is quaint and it is modest. The rooms are clean, the beds are ok (I have to say, they could use a revamping here), the grounds are well kept, the food is varied and definitely tasty. The AC is loud but gets the job done. We had water and power every single time we were in our room, so no complaints there. The mosquitoes were like themselves, active at sunset, nothing new. Bring mosquito repellent and you will be just peachy. OK, so that pretty much sums up all the boring stuff about a hotel you should now, now unto the real treat: the BEACH! A long, long beach of white coral sand so soft your feet feel like they are walking on velvet. Perfect for kids, it stays shallow for meters and meters on end. I never quite got to the deep part. If you walk to your right, the beach runs into a mangrove and makes a shallow inlet where you feel quite like in a natural pool. Covarrubias is a great place to go diving and the diving staff are very knowledgeable and have very good equipment. The catamaran trip is also very amusing. If you like arts and crafts, the artisans on display at Covarrubias sell excellent wood carvings, we brought home a whole collection. The lady at the Kids Club is great and my boys loved the experience. If you have kids, I recommend to bring their life jackets, the ones at the resort are not children sized and they do go on the catamaran when at the Kids Club. The rest of the staff were very friendly, always willing to help if we had a problem or some whimsical request (Can I have a coconut from that palm tree?).The shows at the end of the night were very good, specially Kereya, a young band with quite an amazing sound. In short, if you are looking for a place to enjoy the simple pleasures of life away from the hustle then Covarrubias is for you.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank MecaLuna
Reviewed 8 April 2014

Well this review is long overdue, our first trip was in March 2009 to this resort, and then again the week of Feb.18 to 25 2014. We meet a lot of great people and made new friends.The staff there are the best you could ask for always willing to answer to your needs, always smiling and cheerful mood. BIG THANK YOU TO Fidel and the staff at the a la carte, the cleaning staff, beach guys,bar tenders, and the hard working grounds workers, and the nice lady working in the towel hut. The beach is amazing, a little rough getting in for the first 10 ft but after that nice sandy bottom you can walk out a long way out because of the last hurricane they had, with bringing in new sand and changing the depth of the water. Food was good a lot of choices,at the buffet an beach bar. Drinks were well made LOL. As for our room we had a ocean view on 2nd floor, but all rooms have a nice view. And the 30peso for lobster is well worth the money.

TIPS for the first timers yes the bus ride is 2.5 hrs to get to the resort but grab some beers sit back and enjoy the ride and country side.
Tipping for service is greatly appreciated they are hard working people trying to make a living as we do but, much longer hours.
As returning guest we would recommend this place, we have traveled to different places, we must say this is the best place for some RR. And will be returning again soon.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
9  Thank gadjet
Also consider these accommodations in or near Puerto Padre
Hotel Roc Santa Lucia (Ex Gran Club)
Hotel Roc Santa Lucia (Ex Gran C...
#1 of 4 in Playa Santa Lucia
#2 of 4 in Rafael Freyre
Club Amigo Mayanabo
Club Amigo Mayanabo
#2 of 4 in Playa Santa Lucia

Been to Brisas Covarrubias Hotel? Share your experiences!