“COVA III - my oasis” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Puerto Padre
Fakarava, French Polynesia
“COVA III - my oasis”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 May 2014

Back for 2 more weeks in the last half of March, and having spent a month there so far this year, I would be happy to return again soon. The 5 star rating I am giving this time has little to do with the physical buildings (although I do appreciate the oversized rooms) and everything to do with the way this place makes me feel.

This time I managed to jump on a Sunwing flight that was departing at noon, so I finally got to really see the countryside on the way there.

The ocean was noticeably warmer than in January with a flat surface that allowed for great snorkeling. The weather was perfect until the last 2 days with full sun and hot temperatures. I took many trips out to the reefs this time, by catamaran and dive boat. It never gets old since the crew was aware of where I'd already been and made sure we went to a new spot.

I hope Cova doesn't feel the need to grow larger, but just to enhance what's already there. I also am hoping the plans for development of more properties in the area never pan out. It's a miracle in the middle of nature with the staff creating a tropical paradise for us to enjoy. And the staff – what can I say that hasn't been said before? They are all family and friends from Puerto Padre and nearby Delicias, and that is why the atmosphere is so special and unlike anywhere else I've been.

To my Cova friends - enjoy your various pursuits during the closure in the coming months. I wish all of you the best.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
13 Thank Sirena100

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (188)
Peterborough, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 May 2014

We have found our place... This is really a hidden gem that is absolutely perfect for our family. We have been to the top resort in Cuba, Paradisus Rio del Oro, in Holguin and we much preferred Covarrubias because of the comfortable atmosphere that you find here, being a much smaller resort. When we visited Paradisus it was amazingly beautiful and everything was top notch, including the staff but we did find that the staff was not encouraged to speak with as they were instructed not to "bother " us. I still managed to make friends, but really felt I didn't have a chance to speak with Cuba's beautiful people as much as I wanted to. This is what I found to be so charming about Covarrubias. I have made SO many Cuban ( and Canadian) friends during the week I was there. I couldn't have found a more perfect atmosphere for my husband, myself and our 3 kids ages 8, 11 and 13. It was really comforting for me to know that this is the resort where local Cuban parents bring their kids on vacation. This let me know that this was a safe place for my kids. They enjoyed roaming the small resort and were able to easily navigate their surroundings. A real family feel. Very nice.
I cannot say enough about the AMAZING staff at Cova. Maray, the day hotel coordinator could not have been more welcoming. She did everything we asked and more. We even got invited to a second and then a third visit to the a la carte restaurant :-) yummy ! We did not have any trouble whatsoever with the front desk staff. People need to understand that they are trying to check in bus loads at a time and are sometimes overwhelmed just as we all are by times.
After a longer bus ride (worth it , by the way, to go to Cova) it was great to settle into a lovely pair of rooms in the 9000 series. We loved this area which was more remote than others. The ocean view from there was AMAZING!! Waking up to the sound of tropical birds was lovely. The rooms were spacious and very clean. One bed was a bit firm but my lovely Yoli, our chamber maid, brought me an extra blanket which I doubled up and was totally fine :-). The AC worked great. The fridges didn t seem to work but we didnt need them, so we didnt worry about it at all. Bring a falsie room card like an old credit card to trip the room key slot as you will be able to leave the AC on while you're out if you think it important to do so. We were never too hot so we didn't worry. Both showers worked great. The water does go out sometimes. It seemed to be In the pm when the water truck delivers water I believe. We had absolutely no concern about that. We realized that we were very lucky to be on vacation in this tropical paradise and simply went to the ocean when or if this happened.
The food anywhere in this resort was true Cuban fare as its a Cuban resort and we found it plentiful and delicious. The main dining hall had PLENTY of variety and was all fresh food. Egg omelettes and bacon with so much other food to choose from in the am.. Cereal , juice toast , whatever you want ! We never waited longer than a few minutes ... The wait staff was always happy to help you with anything :-)We left stuffed every day. The a la carte restaurant was absolutely beautiful and the food and service was AMAZING! The atmosphere was delightful with the view of the ocean and the lovely mariachi band that played each night. We could not believe the freshness of the delicious seafood. You will not be disappointed !! Thank you especially to Luisa, Fidel and William. We appreciate all of your hard work so much ! Xo The beach bar restaurant has great hamburgers, fries and pizza prepared by my friend Dixon and to order off the menu is also wonderful with fresh fish, chicken with rice , soup and amazing salad. The wait staff works SO hard and took amazing care of us :-) the view from the beach bar is breathtaking !!!
There are lovely vendors in the main hallways and by the pool who are personable and would love to talk to you :-) you can buy beautiful jewellery and the art of Saul Pablo, sold by his lovely daughter, Yisele. His art has beautified our home with amazing paintings and detailed wood carvings. Simply amazing!! BIG Beso for my special friends : Martha, Ale, and Yisele xo I am so lucky to have met you :-) also hello to Bernardo and Elizabeth !!
The animation team is simply amazing from Leanne in from the kids club to Roberto who is the head of the team , all of this staff works extremely hard to provide a fun experience for all. I even learned how to salsa ! The shows at night were very entertaining and we enjoyed each one ( I love you my Cova Queen lol xo!!!). I recommend waiting until 5 or so to play tennis or it may be too hot. The court is rough around the edges near the fencing as a result of age, weather and don't forget lack of resources. The actual court and net were just fine for recreational play. Visiting the gym is not my thing so I didn't visit.
The pool was always clean and was quite enjoyable :-) the kids loved to borrow the floaty rafts and trying to communicate with Cuban children :-) really cute !
OK... THE OCEAN and BEACH are unlike anything I've ever seen!! The best way to describe it is like a beautiful tropical planetarium. White soft sand that feels like baby powder.... Totally amazing!!!!! Very few weeds and you can walk out forever!! So great for kids :-) the snorkelling equipment was in good condition and we all enjoyed that experience!! WOW!! Also there are plenty of beach chairs and umbrellas every day ;-)
The disco at night was charming and we also enjoyed the nightlife here also between the pool bar with late night ham and cheese sandwiches to die for and the disco. This was just enough for us :-) We found all bars on the resort well stocked and very clean. The piña coladas are delicious and the cappuccino was great !!The Havana Club bar was a very nice spot to enjoy a shot or three in the evening and has a great atmosphere and a signature wall. I quite enjoyed my visits there.
The grounds are well kept with beautiful trees and little red flowers in the shrubbery. Don't forget to visit the hut near the 9000 block where the workers will get you fresh coconuts to drink from with straws :-)
They have everything you need to buy in the resort and you won't pay much more than in Canada. We found it to be quite reasonable. 10 Pesos for a bottle of kids sunscreen ... I don't know if you can buy bug spray but based on reviews , I had 4 bottles with me and DID NOT NEED A DROP !! I saw two mosquitoes ... I have no idea what people are talking about ? Bring some anyways I guess. I can't comment on the excursions as we didn't partake but I hear that although they are far to travel , they are worth it. We will for sure try one next visit.
Overall , this is an amazing place ! I will be back for many years to come. That's a promise ! We love Cuba, but this quaint , family place is the place of our dreams :-) I would recommend it to anyone who is looking for a beautiful place to reconnect with their family and enjoy a true Cuban experience. Please overlook any small detail that might not be perfect and you will have an amazing experience just as we did. I did notice , embarrassingly , some fellow Canadians , who were impatient and rude to the staff. A few smiles and please and thank yous go A LONG WAY!!! Trust me. Please be kind to my friends who work there, they deserve it !!!! Tip them well too because they work hard not because they expect it. They treat you well regardless ! On that note, try to remember the cleaning staff too who work just as hard but who aren't in a position to make tips as easily.

What an amazing vacation ! What an amazing place !
Adios Cova xoxo see you next year !!!!!!!!!!
Love Tara and Family xoxoxo

• Stayed April 2014
11 Thank TaraLovesCova
toronto
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 May 2014 via mobile

Be ready to be eaten by mosquitos, bring your own repelent you will be far away from civilization. Frint desk staff was rude as hell. Restaurant ladies are very nice.
broken beds, broken doors , broken showers, broken ac, broken everything.
Do not be tricked as I did. They rate this hotel higher than the ones in Holguin but its nit true. This hotel sucks.

Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
7 Thank juan carlos m

Travellers are raving about these Puerto Padre hotels

Barrie, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 May 2014

This was our fourth trip to Cuba, and our first to Covarrubias, Traveled there in April 2014. The bus ride from the airport is 2 hours, so resign yourself to that fact. If you travel in the daylight hours, the scenery is very interesting. The check-in went smoothly, however any changes will only be made the next morning when the day staff arrive.The buildings on the property are all one and two stories, no high-rise structures. They are well spaced out and connected by concrete walkways. The grounds are well maintained and clean. The proximity of the buildings to the beach are very close, only a short walk and you will find one of the most beautiful beaches in Cuba, stunning.
We found the food to be excellent. Always a great selection, and lots of fresh fruit. The staff are friendly and extremely helpful. Always ready to go that extra bit to accommodate you. What I noticed at Covarrubias were the amount of returning vacationers, there were many, so that says a lot for this resort. We had some issues with the water only being available at certain times, however that was not a show stopper for us. We just stayed in the ocean longer, problem solved. The rooms were always cleaned daily, and were more than adequate for our needs. My wife and I will definitely be returning to this resort as soon as we can. We were able to meet some amazing people on this trip, both Cubans and vacationers. Overall we had a fantastic vacation, and have finally found our place in Cuba. If anyone would like more information about this resort, please contact me and I will be happy to answer any questions that you may have.

Room Tip: We asked for and received an upstairs room with a view of the ocean, #2128. If you are not happy wit...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
8 Thank Rod W
Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 April 2014

It was my second time back to the Brisas Covarrubias since 2008 when it was known as Villa Covarrubias. Both times I brought along a good friend of mine who has never been to Cuba in his life, so this was a memorable experience. I knew what to expect in terrms of food, service, beach and accomadations, but this time I decided to reserve ahead of time for a suite. I emailed the hotel and after a couple of days I was answered by a polite lady by the name of Iliana who is the hotel director. She took care of everything and advised us that there would be a small fee of 10 cuc each per day for the suite. We agreed and when we arrived on Sunday night March 16th we were amazed by how big and roomy this suite really was.It contained two full bathrooms, a living room with a flat screen tv, a wet bar and a full balcony over looking the ocean, a giant A/C and then to the next room with another flat screen tv and a huge king size bed and another balcony and next to the room was an adjoining full size washroom with a Jacuzzi and a bay window over looking the main pool, with another huge A/C and a full closet and a wall safe. This unit had a fridge in both rooms with water bottles and beer cans and a champagne bottle. Included with the suite we had a lobster diner for two, two complimentary massages and a special party on Friday night at the International Italian A La Carte Restaurant for returning guests. Everyone on the resort is polite and is always ready to direct you to wherever you want to go and the staff treat us like family. The beach is awesome, no waves and plenty of pedalos and catamaran to go sailing.Miss Yenny is in charge of waiters and bartenders and if you need anything concerning food or drinks, she is always there to make sure you are well served. Idania Avalo takes care of ordering the supplies for the hotel and if you have a special liking for something out of the ordinary like maybe Blue Cheese, well if she can get it, she will be more that pleased to order it for the next day at the buffet. Giovanni is an allaround man from being a waiter, a bartender or maybe even a cook. Tony used to be a Caribesol rep and now is one of the Bartenders at the pool bar. He speaks Italian and he's a fully qualified bartender and expresso coffee man. Then there is Raul whom I rarely saw but I hear that he is the main Head Bartender and he makes sure everything runs smoothly. We had a fantastic time both Mike and I and we are truly considering returning before the end of the year. When we left on Sunday March 23rd we were greeted by the hotel staff and the rep of Caribesol with champagne and memories. Thank you to all the staff of the Brisas Covarrubias for a wonderful vacation and till we see you next time.

Room Tip: The VIP suite is well worth it and the rooms in the 3000 unit whic are near the beach are also very...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
8 Thank Marcobello
Guelph, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 April 2014

My very first visit to Brisas Covarrubias was April 15/14, it will definitely not be my last. My traveling partner had been there in February of 2014 and said that it was worth going back. The staff were phenomenal and very friendly. They knew our names after our first introduction, I was impressed. I did not mind the two hour bus ride to the hotel at all. I like the small and intimate setting of this place. The rooms were clean, had food that was tasty and the best lobster that I have had in a very long time. I could go to a five star with 500+ rooms, however, the feeling of belonging to a small, close knit community will not happen. The beach, oh the beach, it is spectacular!!! Did not mind the gecko and two frogs that visited our room, it added to the ambience of the place.....this is Cuba, a country in the tropics after all.
I could go on and on and on about Covarrubias, however, you need to experience it. Next visit back is going to be for at least ten days and hopefully sooner than later.

Room Tip: All that mattered was a clean room to sleep in at night.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
4 Thank Leatitia T
Nova Scotia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 April 2014

I was here from April 9-16, 2014 and am somewhat hesitant to write a review and let this little secret out. The resort is small and not a luxury resort but the character it exudes far surpasses any resort I've been to so far. If you're looking for a Sandals level vacation, go to Sandals - I have, and I'll be coming back to this resort as soon as possible, but for 2 weeks next time. If you want to feel like you're in your own little paradise; to relax, recharge and unwind; this is the place to go. Things aren't perfect here but it's just surprising to me how little I noticed or cared. I checked in well after midnight after a 2 hour bus ride (which was entertaining, to say the least). The room was ground floor but ocean front - a perfect location for me because I didn't set foot in the pool the entire week. I was on the beach almost immediately and was not disappointed, even at night. This beach is simply one of the best I've been on and it was one of my most important criteria for a vacation. The room overlooked the beach bar/a la carte so it was an ideal location to be for the week. The staff were simply amazing here. The food was quite good - the fries at the beach restaurant were a daily staple. Even the house wine was good. I was thoroughly impressed by the nightly entertainment. No Michael Jackson impersonators here (thank goodness) but real live local entertainment every night. Check out a young group called Kereya - they were fantastic (I'm still listening to their cd as I drive in my car) and so fresh. I enjoyed that you didn't get the standard resort entertainment.

I can't comment at all on the pool or the entertainment staff as I was on the beach from 8:30 in the morning until it was time to get ready for dinner. Isela in the towel hut is a treasure though - always smiling and friendly, even when she's busy. Also Yanet in the bank, William in maintenance and Horacio in the lobby bar (and disco) were shining examples of great hospitality. Our Canadian hospitality workers could take a lesson. Everyone was friendly though, even the gardeners and maintenance men. I didn't feel like I had to tip to get good service but I tipped because I got good service.

We did go to the disco one night and it was fun even though there weren't a lot of people there. You can have as much or as little fun as you want - it just depends on your personality. I often read reviews and think that so much of a person's experience depends on the traveller and less on the resort. Yes, the public bathrooms weren't always spotlessly clean and there wasn't always toilet paper in them but the resort is small enough that it's never a long walk back to your room (which always had toilet paper) or you can throw a little packet of kleenex in your purse like I did and just be prepared. I didn't have any complaints about the food while here - I didn't go hungry at any meal but I didn't expect to eat at a Michelin star restaurant either. I think you need to go into your vacation knowing what your priorities are, with realistic expectations, and an open mind. If you want a fancy, luxurious vacation then you need to pay for it. This resort is not an expensive vacation but, to me, the experience I had was priceless. I would recommend this resort in a heart beat but only to like-minded travellers.

In short - the beach is spectacular, the food is decent, the rooms are clean and livable, the staff are above-par and I can see why people return to this resort time after time. I think I've found my go-to resort. I'd go alone, with a group, or as a couple - no problems. If anyone has any questions that I didn't address, please message me. Oh, and the mosquitos were present but not unbearable in any way. 2 nights I put on repellant and didn't have any trouble - the rest of the week, no repellant and no issue.

Relax - you're on vacation - enjoy yourself and don't sweat the small stuff - you'll enjoy your vacation so much more.

Room Tip: I don't really think there are any bad rooms but the 2nd floor ocean view rooms would be nice...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Hotel Playa Pesquero
#1 of 4 in Rafael Freyre
4.5 of 5 bubbles 7,378 reviews
Paradisus Rio de Oro Resort & Spa

Been to Brisas Covarrubias Hotel? Share your experiences!