“Eight-Pointed Star Shaped City and Piazza Grande”

Caffetteria Torinese
Ranked #3 of 36 Restaurants in Palmanova
Cuisines: Italian, Cafe, Wine Bar, Bar
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Drinks, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Colorado Springs, Colorado
“Eight-Pointed Star Shaped City and Piazza Grande”
Reviewed 2 June 2014

We entered the town passing through the rampart via one of the four entrances, stopped in for a coffee and wine after a stroll through the city and Piazza Grande. We were able to watch the procession of a wedding taking place in front of the church in the hexagonal large central square while enjoying the afternoon breeze. Since the city is off the beaten path for tourists parking is easy and crowds are non-existent.

Palmanova is a town and commune in northeastern Italy, close to the border with Slovenia. It is located 20 km from Udine, 28 km from Gorizia and 55 km from Trieste near the junction of the Autostrada Alpe-Adria and the Autostrada Venezia-Trieste.

Palmanova is a pearl of military architecture from the Habsburg monarchy. It's built in the shape of eight-pointed stars, similar to the city of Karlovac in Croatia. The town is entered through the rampart.

• Visited May 2014

• Hungarian first
Bratislava, Slovakia
“The best aperol of the Italy weekend”
Reviewed 27 May 2014

we had an Aperol spritz in the evening and a cappucino the morning after- it was full of Italian atmosphere, nice people, great position on one of the most beautiful places in Italy - on the main sqare of the ancient city of Palmanova.

• Visited May 2014
1 Thank groholova
Ljubljana, Slovenia
“Enjoy Your Meal in the Best Caffetteria of Italy”
Reviewed 8 May 2014

The best Coffee Bar in Italy according to Italian cult culinary magazin Gambero Rosso is situated at one of the sides of an unbelievable empty and large pentagonale square in the centre of a small town, currently known mostly for the major outlet stores nearby. Finding a parking lot within quarter of a mile is feasible. Beware to find the right place, as several line this strange space.

A lot of people truly come for coffee – and it is indeed excellent. But this the less relevant side of the place. The owner is crazy about top level simple food from the best possible ingredients. We were recommended the place by a similar minded colleague, and we had a relatively brief session going through the cured meat and cheese offerings, I need to explore the rest during my next visit. Interior ambient is modern – of course you can seat outside in the square, if you prefer. Restrooms could be a bit cozier.

I was shown the most remarkable gin collection I have ever seen. Yet as a sworn wine lover, I strongly missed a wine list, so we chose our wines from the bottles that the kind owner Nereo brought to show us at the table. I can not say the selection was formidable, but wines we tried were unquestionnably good – note that the gentleman has a large choice of both Italian sparklers and Champagne. Menu – I understand that a vast majority of dishes is served cold. We tried a selection of cured meat, excellent, with truly unforgetable culatello (a cured muscle of pork hind leg, specialty of Parma) approaching in taste and appearance the best Cinco Jotas jamon iberico. But the key tasting was of various Italian cheeses as base for several astonishing dishes and served in heat processing glass vessels... I was knocked off my feet. Not to mention the extremely wide choice of small lovable desserts seen behind the glass when entering the caffetteria. It is hard to evaluate the kitchen based on cold dishes alone, even when they are perfect, so I shall do this when I complete my experience next time. Service was optimal, except for the fact that we had to pour our wines ourselves a couple of times, boss was serving us personally with a nearly full house of guests, explaining elaborate details of each dish. A true fine food & wine fanatic.

Beware though – I was misled and then came a hundred miles for a late breakfast on a longer journey to stop and further investigate the charm of this marvelous eatery. But before noon they only have desserts and toast…

• Visited April 2014
1 Thank ZahtevniGost
walsall
“A quality experience.”
Reviewed 13 June 2011

Neither really a wine bar or a restaurant but a special place to eat and drink. The wine selection is big enough to allow a serious tasting of the wines of the area. As the range is large so is the price range and inevitably one gets seduced by the better wines. The basic house white, a Tocai makes for a pleasant afternoon whilst the Refrosco is big and bold enough to fill an evening. The foods are a little intimidating as the Slow Food movement is well represented on the menu and thus not necessarily well understood. Investigation is well rewarded and the tastes offered are sophisticated and exceptionally well presented. The proprietor is friendly and affable and also keen to discuss his obvious passion for proper foods. A delightful evening that I look forward to repeating.

• Visited June 2011
3 Thank TheBillWalsall
Baden-Baden, Germany
“Great food,great service,great service,so just a great place!”
Reviewed 8 June 2011

I've been here a couple of times with my wife,the first time i was for a drink,the selections of beverage it was just Fantastic!
You can chose between a lot of nice and not common soft drinks,or go for a fantastic glass of champagne with fresh Oyster as well they have a very rich tea chart for a nice and elegant afternoon tea with a lot of fresh pastry.
If you want to be a bit more posh you can have " a simple "Gin Tonic and you can choose between seven of the best Gins,(try the Hendricks one)for me the best!
Athmosphere is very good you are in the middle of the square,the music at this place is very good and nevar very loud ,you can easly chat and relax.
The second time i had some food......I was amazed,this is a Typical italian bar but with an Uncomon touch,they are able to create nice dishes of graet food (very high standard for me like 1 michelin star)
I started with a selection of mozzarela and other soft cheese,it was just fantastic,than i had the batuta of Fassona simly Delicious!!!!!Service it self was excellent,to finish my lanch i had a fantastic Capuccino.
This place it just perfect !If you wish to go to spend some time in a nice Cafe,for a nice drink or you wish to have the service and the food of a very nice resturant but in a relaxed atmosphere,this is the right place for you.
For me this place was just a Taste to remember!
Helmut