“look no further”

Southmead Guest House
Ranked #10 of 10 Hotels in Llanelli
Reviewed 30 May 2012

very good breakfast, very clean & tidy,excellent hosts and chef ,couldn't do enough for you,would definately recommend for people to stop there also 3 minutes walk to town centre.
will definately stop there again

Room Tip: we had room 7 it was ground floor and had a door to the back yard where you could have a cigarette d...
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Maureen R

Reviewed 29 April 2012

I was greeted by a dishevelled man wearing ill fitting grubby clothes, and as a lone female traveller I was filled with apprehension. However my arrival was expected, I was shown to my room with an offer to carry my bags, and the room, though shabby, was clean and the kettle etc all worked.
Despite the ominous first impressions, I felt safe, the guest house was close to all the amenities I required and there were clearly many other guests staying that night. The room was quiet,my bedroom door didn't squeak, solid walls prevented sounds from adjoining bedrooms or the corridor, and there was a soap dispenser in the communal bathrooms all plus points as far as I'm concerned.
I agree with other comments about the breakfast. I had a horrible omelette, and couldn't be bothered with the toaster or queuing for coffee. The chef appeared gloomy and remote.A glimpse through the door that lead to the kitchen seemed to show a room with unmade beds and general filth....
Overall it was good value for money, and I would stay there again.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank DemeraraBiscuitz
Reviewed 10 April 2012

I wasn't expecting much from this place, since we had got it for real cheap in the last minute. But I was pleasantly surprised that it wasnt a bad bargain. The rooms were spacious and clean, though the decors looked really old and made the place look dark. The heating system definitely needs some upgrade, since it took a while for the rooms to get warm enough. It is definitely far from most of the main beaches that you would want to visit in South Wales, but for that price on a tight budget I think you should be okay. The staff were very friendly and helpful, though the cook can try smiling once in a while :). But he was on his toes to keep the breakfast coming for our big group of 12 people. Overall we had a pleasant stay, with a good night's sleep and a humble breakfast in the morning, we were good to go for our journey ahead.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Shashmi
Reviewed 19 March 2012

Stayed here for a wedding night (wedding was at Stradey Park Hotel).

Good, clean room. Excellent service. Only £4 taxi ride from the wedding.

Good value at £45 per night.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 March 2012

The good points are: the water was hot and the bed linen clean but apart from that we were not impressed. The conversion from private house to guest house was obviously done on a shoe-string and reflects that. The decor is very tired. Breakfast was an experience. Although there was someone in attendance, we had to get our own tea/coffee from a table where there was an urn and likewise help ourselves to cereals. Two of us had the 'full English' (tinned tomatoes - not fresh) and one request for just bacon, tomato and egg arrived less the egg but with a sausage. The real surprise was an order for a poached egg, which came to the table on a large white dinner plate with the egg sitting in the middle, but with no toast or anything else on the plate. We had to get this ourselves from a table upon which there was a toaster and a cut loaf! We had one double room with en-suite, but this was very tiny with little room between the shower cubicle and the toilet. The bed in this room was comfortable, but one of our group was unlucky and had a bed with springs that were popping up. Some reviews make the point that it is cheap, but we felt that prices were on a par with other establishments which would merit a more favourable review.. We won't be going there again!

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 23 January 2012

Good points: Good location, free parking, free wifi (although I think the signal is dependent on which room you're in), comfy bed, friendly staff, decent breakfast, freeview in the room.
Bad points: All done on a bit of a shoe string but my room cost me £27 for the night so I'm not complaining.

If you're just looking for somewhere cheap to crash out I don't see the problem with this place, it was clean, breakfast was good and was what was expected. I wasn't hoping for the Hilton, but I didn't pay their prices either!

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 22 September 2011

Good points: cheap and not far from the town centre. Free parking to the rear. Tea making facilities in room. Most rooms ensuite with a shower. Allegedly free wifi - but certainly not in my room (BT openzone p.a.y.g. available).
Bed linen clean, and decent towels, plus complmentary soap and shower gel. Bathroom fine - just a bit old fashioned.

Bad points: very run down; paper peeling from walls... but I suppose you get what you pay for. TV from the days of steam by the look of it. But, credit where it is due... it hissed and roared a bit, but does have a very good selection of Freeview channels.

Breakfast was crude, it must be said. There is a moderate selection of cereals, toast, etc, and a few juices / milk / tea. The cooked breakfast was small and included what appeared to be a great splodge of tomato puree. This was the fried tomato. But there was nothing seriously amiss with bacon, sausage or egg. Once I hunted around the room for suitable utensils and a cup, it was an adequate breakfast.

The chef (possibly owner) is not given to needless pleasantries, or needless talk of any kind, as some other reviewers have correctly noted. But excessive talking probably grates upon some clients, so we must not be quick to rush to judgement. And other members of staff did make every effort to be friendly.

I am not completely sure that I would go back by choice, but certainly would not be devastated if I had to stay again if I could not find somewhere else.

Room Tip: room 6 was tolerable.
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled on business