“Absolutely Awful... Would not recommend!”

Southmead Guest House
Ranked #10 of 10 Hotels in Llanelli
Wolverhampton, United Kingdom
“Absolutely Awful... Would not recommend!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2012

We stayed here overnight due to a relative's wedding being held close by. My brother walked in and saw his room and walked straight back out and went somewhere else that should tell you something. If it werent for the money and lack of availability at other places we would have followed him. We were greeted by 2 very scruffily dressed and unclean looking men who did not seem to know what they were doing considering they first led us to the wrong room. The men also smelled of body odour. The guest house also smelled of body odour and of general staleness. The men were not very welcoming and their attitudes not particularly pleasant which made me think they were in the wrong job.
The floor was very creaky and the place was poorly lit. The decor consisted of very shabby, seriously outdated and mismatched furnishings. The wallpaper was comming off the walls in places and there were cracks in the walls and ceilings that had been messily filled in... some of them anyway. The toilet and shower area was very small and again shabby looking and the shower did not work properly.
My bedroom consisted of shabby, worn and mismatched furniture. The curtains wouldnt close and nearly came off the rail when i did try and close them. My bedroom sink consisted of taps that were that loose they nearly came off in my hands. The bed was uncomfortable and lumpy. i could feel the springs going mad whenever i moved on it. There was an opportunity to make myself a drink in the room but it tasted too stale and the milk was off.
Breakfast was no better. The chef looked like he hadnt seen soap or water in a long time along with his clothes. The breakfast was help yourself to what had been put out and the option of a cooked breakfast. I stuck to a glass of orange juice as the milk was not very fresh again and from what i glimpsed of the kitchen i thought it the safer option.
Myself and the others i was with couldnt get out there fast enough and if anyone says they would go there again then they are quite mad and obviously dont care about cleanliness or hygiene as it is a dismal place with poor facilities. Trust me i would not recommend this place at all and if u do stay there then i wish u the best of luck as i am sure u will need it.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Starangel2012

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Birmingham, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2012

well what can i say, i booked me and my family into the southmead hotel, as my niece was getting married in llanelli, we arrived to be greeted my a man in dirty clothes, who didn,t smell to sweet, infact the guest house didn,t smell too sweet. The rooms needed a good update, the onsuite was so small you couldn,t move, and there was no toilet paper, i sent my husband to ask for some, and he came back with kitchen roll, they said that they didn,t have any toilet paper,(great), when we went to close the curtains at bed time, they came straight off the wall,but on a positive note, the beds were reasonable comfortable(,although i do think that the intake of alchol helped) next morning, i went to make myself a cup of tea with the kettle provided, and as i opened the little milks to pour in, i realized that they were off,(god knows how long they had been there) this maded me feel sick, We had to take freezeing cold showers, as the shower didn,t work properly, in fact very little water came out of the shower at all, The full English breakfast was just average, but i was abit apprehensive about eating it, when i saw the state of the chief,he looked like he needed a good wash, he had no people skills, and i think that he should learn to smile,(one hell of a miserable bloke). my overall review on the place is simply disguisting, i wouldn,t recommend, although it did give my family something to take the micky about. a

Room Tip: Make sure you read the trip advisor reviews before you book
Stayed June 2012, travelled with family

Travellers are raving about these Llanelli hotels

Ottawa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 June 2012

I was a little nervous after reading the reviews, but there was no reason to be. If I'm ever back in the part of Wales, I'd definitely return - for that price, can't be beat.

Ok, so not the most glamourous of places and certainly the most stylish, but the bed was comfortable, every thing looked clean and had no problems with carrying sound even with my windows open and such. My room was a little small, but as a solo traveller used to crowded hostels this was plenty good for me!

Location is great - 10min walk from the train station, less than 5min into town.

Can't comment on the breakfast - I was out and about at 6am all three mornings I was there, so didn't try it out. Every time I was in the kitchen area though, staff were eager to give me coffee or tea though. Nice to have the kettle in my room too.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled solo
Wallsend-on-Tyne, null, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 May 2012

very good breakfast, very clean & tidy,excellent hosts and chef ,couldn't do enough for you,would definately recommend for people to stop there also 3 minutes walk to town centre.
will definately stop there again

Room Tip: we had room 7 it was ground floor and had a door to the back yard where you could have a cigarette d...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Maureen R
Cornwall
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 April 2012

I was greeted by a dishevelled man wearing ill fitting grubby clothes, and as a lone female traveller I was filled with apprehension. However my arrival was expected, I was shown to my room with an offer to carry my bags, and the room, though shabby, was clean and the kettle etc all worked.
Despite the ominous first impressions, I felt safe, the guest house was close to all the amenities I required and there were clearly many other guests staying that night. The room was quiet,my bedroom door didn't squeak, solid walls prevented sounds from adjoining bedrooms or the corridor, and there was a soap dispenser in the communal bathrooms all plus points as far as I'm concerned.
I agree with other comments about the breakfast. I had a horrible omelette, and couldn't be bothered with the toaster or queuing for coffee. The chef appeared gloomy and remote.A glimpse through the door that lead to the kitchen seemed to show a room with unmade beds and general filth....
Overall it was good value for money, and I would stay there again.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank DemeraraBiscuitz
Buckingham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 April 2012

I wasn't expecting much from this place, since we had got it for real cheap in the last minute. But I was pleasantly surprised that it wasnt a bad bargain. The rooms were spacious and clean, though the decors looked really old and made the place look dark. The heating system definitely needs some upgrade, since it took a while for the rooms to get warm enough. It is definitely far from most of the main beaches that you would want to visit in South Wales, but for that price on a tight budget I think you should be okay. The staff were very friendly and helpful, though the cook can try smiling once in a while :). But he was on his toes to keep the breakfast coming for our big group of 12 people. Overall we had a pleasant stay, with a good night's sleep and a humble breakfast in the morning, we were good to go for our journey ahead.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Shashmi
south wales
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 March 2012

Stayed here for a wedding night (wedding was at Stradey Park Hotel).

Good, clean room. Excellent service. Only £4 taxi ride from the wedding.

Good value at £45 per night.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple