“There must be better places to stay for the money”

Southmead Guest House
Ranked #10 of 10 Hotels in Llanelli
London, United Kingdom
“There must be better places to stay for the money”
Reviewed 23 April 2013

We had to laugh during our stay at Southmead Guesthouse. We arrived and it was like being transported back in time to the 1950s, when the place seemed to have last been decorated. The people were friendly and tried hard to make us feel welcome but the overall vibe was not good.

The rooms were shabby (not in a chic way) and dusty, the carpet looked like it hadn't had a good clean in a long time.

The shower room was tiny, you had to edge into the shower around the basin as there wasn't much room and the water pressure was a dribble. We booked a double but there were 3 beds in our room and some random mismatched furniture and the mattresses were really lumpy. The TV was retro tiny and we didn't manage to watch anything. The towels had a really weird smell to them as well.

On a positive - tea and coffee were provided... other than that I can't think of any positives.

We were so pleased to get home.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Prague, Czech Republic
Reviewed 13 April 2013

Hi,

stayed there a few nights on a business trip...the owner tried to be friendly, but had probably not had a shower in a week, a strong smell came over. The whole BnB is quite old, worn out matresses, old carpets, all a bit grimy.
Breakfast isn´t too much, not really tasty.
They seem to have a few permanents as well, which is a bit of a strange clientele.
TVs in the rooms had their hayday in the beginning of the 90´s ...

Don´t go there if you can!!!

• Stayed November 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank AndyKa74

Travellers are raving about these Llanelli hotels

lichfield
Reviewed 1 December 2012

stayed 4 nights 3 in room 9 afamily room 1 night in room 8 single .lets start with 9 sink lose in bathroom shower hardly worked dirty mastic everywhere needs a makeover TV long time since i saw one like that must be 10 years ago fitting worn out carpet well cant discrib it realy .room 8 same but add a strip lite with cracked plastic cover in roof impossible to shut shower door big different coloured ring in carpet in front of toilet ? pipes borded in round room falling apart paint missing.now to breakfast say 700 start bown every morn for 700 be prepaird to eat at 7 30 or later must say worth waiting for .and last the security code to get outside door poen changes every day dont forget it you may get locked IN

Room Tip: dont bother
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank kalosLichfield
Perth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 November 2012

My friend and I were embarking on a charity Walkathon and so needed a place close to the bay. Oh dear, what a shock on arrival. There were a group of men sitting on the wall at the entrance, smoking and drinking cans of something (we thought we'd come to the wrong place!). When the front door was opened, the owner appeared somewhat unkempt with his shirt hanging our of his trousers! He did not seem very interested in our arrival as guests.
Our room was not very inviting. The decor was tired and seemed like a lick of paint was in need. But most off-putting was the toilet: it had NOT been cleaned properly. Horrible vision. The shower felt unclean and was minute in size. The whole room felt like it wasn't very clean. The beds however were fine.
Breakfast was beyond a joke. We are both vegetarians and there was very little offered that appealed to me. There was NO brown bread even. There was no herb tea - the packet was on the shelf, but it was empty!
On talking to Andrew, the manager I quickly realised that Llanelli is struggling economically with the recession hitting hard (few jobs about) and it seems everybody in the town are very depressed and find life a real struggle. I felt sorry for him when we left the place.

Room Tip: Ground floor room had view of car park, behind the net curtains. Not good.
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
Carmichael, California
Reviewed 9 November 2012

sOUTHMEAD is a great place to stay the breakfast is wonderful (im picky about breakfast) and more than ican eat. the place is clean and older(charming). the staff is really nice and i fell really comfortable there as this is my third stay there and i will be there again.!!!

• Stayed October 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank kathleenwalker
Reviewed 6 November 2012

I booked with trepidation after reading some of the reviews here but as it turned out I didn't need to worry. I booked directly at 24hours notice and on the phone Andrew (the owner) couldn't have been more polite and pleasant and couldn't do enough for me, he even gave me several phone numbers of other guesthouses in the area when at first he didn't have a single-bed room available.
I called him back when I had no luck with the others and he offered to upgrade me to a large front family room for the price of a single room for my three night stay.
On arrival, I was impressed by the attention to guest safety with numerous security lights leading from the rear car park around to the front door.
Andrew was as polite at the door as he was on the phone.
Admittedly the decor and some fittings are a little tired and threadbare but bear in mind this was the cheapest (bar none) guesthouse I could find on the internet and at those prices, guests must be plain stupid to expect the place to be immaculately decorated! However, it is very obvious that regular maintenance and painting takes place to keep things under control. There was a slightly stale odour evident which was undoubtedly the carpets after many years of cooking breakfasts and probably smoking when it used to be allowed, but it wasn't noticeable after just a few minutes. Most importantly though, on close inspection, everything was spotlessly clean, the toilet looked like it had been polished!
Yes the furniture is mismatched but it meant I had plenty of drawers and cupboards to put my stuff in. Other places like Ibis Hotels don't supply ANY drawers at all and no breakfast or extra pillows... and for THREE TIMES as much money. I was even supplied with an Iron on request (many places charge for this).
The bed was a little lumpy but if you want a Premier Inn bed... go pay Premier Inn prices.
I was also pleased to see a fridge in the room for your vinho. The only time I've ever seen that before is in 4 -5 Star hotels with mini bars specially designed NOT to take a bottle of your own wine!
Breakfast was actually very nice, not at all greasy or fatty, perfect egg, tasty bacon and sausage unlimited tea and plenty of DIY toast and cereal. Someone on this website complained of tinned tomatoes not fresh... What??! Get a life!
The chef is a very quiet man and when you get talking to him, a really nice guy. He approached me on my last day and asked what I thought of the breakfast, it turned out someone had just left a scathing comment on a site like this one describing breakfast as "disgusting". He was clearly hurt by the comment and said if people had the decency to make the complaint to him directly, he'd be more than happy to do something to rectify the problem. Personally?.. I really enjoyed breakfast!
Ok here's my complaint (there's got to be one hasn't there?) The lighting! My room had two wall lights with strong (CLEAR) 10,000 watt bulbs in them so even only with one switched on it was either like sitting under football pitch floodlights or lights off completely, not very relaxing in the evening! Could do with dimmer, softer bulbs.
By contrast, the breakfast room was really dimly lit. I wanted to swap the bulbs with the ones in my room. But that's just my personal taste!
All in all, a nice stay. I'll definitely use them again.
My advice to the moaners here? Stop searching the Internet for cheap accommodation and then complaining that it doesn't meet your high standards.
Simon.

• Stayed November 2012
1 Thank Simonsgl
Reviewed 29 September 2012 via mobile

I am a single young female who stayed at this hotel on my own for one night. I booked the room very late in the day and arrive quite late that evening.
Upon arrival the front of the hotel does look quite scarey and is very dark. I was greeted by a man who was not the worlds most presentable. He was very polite though and very accommodating and very helpful in explaining fire points and the room ect. The room had 2 single beds and was very clean with usual tea/coffee facilities. The room was not very well decorated. I had to leave early in the morning so did not see breakfast and can't comment on the food.
Overall I paid £30 for this room with breakfast and it was worth that all day long, at all times I felt very safe and the room and hotel was quiet and comfortable enough for me to enjoy my stay.

• Stayed September 2012