“Absolutely appalling - avoid at all costs” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Southmead Guest House

Southmead Guest House
Ranked #10 of 10 Hotels in Llanelli
Reading, United Kingdom
“Absolutely appalling - avoid at all costs”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2014

DO NOT STAY AT THIs HOTEL.

Filthy,
No toilet paper in the toilet
Tables in the restaurant left not cleared even as the staff were attempting to put breakfast down for the next guests, no cutlery,
No towels in the room.
Mattress totally shot and uncomfortable.
Bedding dusty and horrid.
Wallpaper looked like it was from the 1950s.
Bathroom lock broken and badly repaired.
Nothing electrical worked in the room.3 out of 4 lights in the room didn't work, TV didn't work.

Attitude of the staff to all these faults was utterly uncaring.

DO NOT STAY AT THIs HOTEL.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Martin A

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 June 2014 via mobile

To be very truthful as soon as I walked in to my room I felt like I was in something out of a horror movie no joke I was a little scared to stay there the staff were like the people out of the league of gentlemen I almost expected to be dragged from my room to be burnt. And thier excuse would be we didn't burn her series 1 episode 1 lol I had to stay there for 2 weeks as my life was luxury before staying there what an expirience the handy man there was like Igor out of count dracula I do not recommend this hotel unless you like that sort of thing or unless u had nowhere to go like me

Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
3 Thank Claire R

Travellers are raving about these Llanelli hotels

Swansea, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 May 2014

I'd give thus b&b a 0 if I could. My friend and I booked this last minute, what a mistake I would rather have paid double the price elsewhere. We paid 48 pounds for a twin room with ensuite and breakfast.
We were met by the owner who had the worst B.O I have ever come across he was stinking!!!!
He took us to our room number 4 it was damp and paper was hanging from the walls. The ensuite was hysterical the shower unit was unfit for human use, with huge chips in it and filthy dirty.
In the bedroom was a socket with an adaptor and 3 plugs inserted. I think these adaptors are outlawed now. I picked up a spoon from the saucer to find a blob of coffee on the saucer. There were marks around the rims of the mugs too.
The owner said a cook would be preparing our breakfast so we thought thank God for that. That was until we saw the cook! He looked just as unsavoury as the b&b owner, with missing teeth.
Breakfast arrived on a cold plate a slice of cold hard bacon, a sausage, fried egg and cheap beans and tomatoes. Just awful.
My friend and I couldn't wait to leave the place and never to return. Just one last thing I find some of the comments for this establishment very suspect. 5 rating - complete rubbish.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank ElaineG32
Cardiff, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 May 2014

Stayed here while walking the coast path. The location is very convenient. This b&b is in need of a refurb but I think it is really good value for money. I found it comfortable and quiet. Breakfast was freshly cooked and really lovely. I would definitely recommend it for people passing through.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank 814mary
Madrid, Spain
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 March 2014

I stayed in Southmead Guesthouse prior to competing in the Llanelli half marathon a few weeks ago. All I can say is that I would not, under any circumstances, recommend this establishment.

Firstly, the smell of the place was reminiscent of a time when smoking was legal in public places in Wales. There was also a lingering smell of stale sweat and grime.The room we stayed in was dingy, dark and damp, and was also pervaded by this smell. There were clearly 'regular' guests who were smoking in their rooms.

There was no heater in the bathroom, nor were there enough towels for the three of us. When we were provided with towels, they were hand towels, and not big enough for three adults to have a shower.

We were also pressured by the manager to eat at an establishement up the road which was clearly linked with him in some way. Needless to say we did not do this, electing rather to go to the town centre.

The breakfast in the morning left a lot to be desired by a ling-distance runner. My only request had been porridge. How on earth a 'chef' can mess up something as simple as porridge I have no idea. It was clearly microwaved but was lukewarm when it arrived on the table. The English Breakfasts ordered by my parents were also microwaved, which is unacceptable. The only coffee available was Nescafe instant sachets; no ground or even filter coffee was offered. I ended up running a half marathon fuelled by six bananas, having been unable to make myself eat the vomit-like porridge I was provided with.

We chose this B&B based on reviews written on Trip-Advisor. All I can say is that I find these 'excellent' reviews very suspect, and I would certainly make further enquiries before choosing this establishment.

Room Tip: Go elsewhere.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Harri H
Carmarthen, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 December 2013

I have stayed at the Southmead guest house before and I have to admit that the stay last time I was here was very warm inviting and really really welcoming. The staff at the Southmead Guesthouse are very kind, good, and happy. Now that I have stayed at this Guesthouse for a second time this year I am very happy with the big improvements that have been made to the Southmead Guesthouse and if I had to sum up the South Mead Guesthouse into one word I would say EXCELLENT.

Now onto the staff at the South Mead Guesthouse

Andrew (manger) : Andrew is very understanding, welcoming, helpful, reliable, trust worthy and if i had to sum him up in one word ABSOLUTELY A GOD SEND

Jeremy (Chef/cleaner) : Jeremy is a brilliant chef from what I have seen, I can seriously say that he takes a lot of time taking care when it comes to his cooking and cleaning and if I had to mark him out of a score of ten I would give him a 10 out of ten.

For people reading this review I would kindly like to say that they can not get a better guest house than the SouthMead Guest house .

Yours Sincerely Mr E R Hallisey

Room Tip: when booking a room at the South Mead Guesthouse always ask for room 4 as it is warm and homely. Als...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Carmichael, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 November 2013

I have stayed at Southmead for four years and I have had a wonderful time there. everyone was helpful ,pleasant and genuine. the breakfasts were great-with great variety-Jeremy is a great cook and plan to be there next fall.

Room Tip: tell the staff what your needs are!
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled solo