“A well deserved FIVE STARS!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Ardtorna B&B

Ardtorna B&B
Ranked #1 of 3 Barcaldine B&B and Inns
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“A well deserved FIVE STARS!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 September 2012

This review comes with a serious warning! A stay here will ruin any other stay anywhere else!! This is no ordinary B&B! It is the utmost in luxury, in fact you would struggle to find such luxury and hospitality anywhere else. Not forgetting the location! Simply stunning!
Karen and Sean have had such vision in putting this B&B together. The attention to detail is quite overwhelming. Nothing has been missed and a whole lot added that most people would not dream of expecting.
From the moment you enter you can not help but be impressed, the quality, the views, the cleanliness and not forgetting the warmth of hospitality. I would not hesitate in recommending this little gem to anyone but my fear is that it may become difficult to rebook as everyone is going to want to return and recommend to others.
They have won several awards already and I don't doubt that many more will becoming their way.
The breakfast in the morning was outstanding. I had chosen the sweet pancakes and was delighted I had done so as they were delicious but I had to admit defeat after all the other tempting items I had partaken in before the pancakes! There was homemade muesli bread, banana bread, soda bread, toast, every cereal imaginable together with toppings galore, a smoothie of the day and even bloody marys if you were so inclined!! Sean prepared the breakfasts and even invited us to take some of the breads if we were going out for the day.
It will be a long time before we find anything to surpass the Ardtorna and for that reason we may not bother trying and just go back instead! I hope it is very very soon.
If I was to make any criticism at all it would only be that there was no lounge area to sit in. This is by no means a problem as the rooms are spacious and easy chairs provided to gaze out at the wonderful view. I simply mention this because it may be slightly more problematic if travelling in a group. There was seating outside and a table that would have been lovely to sit at on a summer's evening.
We dined at Isle of Eriska which again was outstanding. This can be difficult to book for non residents but the Ardtorna have a special relationship with the Isle of Eriska for use of their spa, golf and restaurant.
I would say to anyone looking for that extra special getaway, you will not find better than the Ardtorna.

KarenOby, Owner at Ardtorna B&B, responded to this review, 26 September 2012
Thank you for taking the time to post a review on your one night stay with us.

I am delighted to read that you both enjoyed all that we offer at Ardtorna. Although i was a little alarmed at first when you mentioned that ' this review comes with a serious warning' !

It was great that you both enjoyed your dinner at The Isle of Eriska Hotel. It is most certainly our no 1 place to dine in the area, offering luxurious surroundings and beautifully presented food at a very reasonable price.

Thank you for posting a few pictures onto Trip Advisor - what great shots ...

I do hope it will not be too long until we are able to welcome you both back to Ardtorna.

Perhaps your children will buy you another nights stay with us for Christmas !

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (104)
Berkshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 September 2012

We arrived with high hopes and we were not disappointed. The location is great, being close to Oban to the south, Glencoe to the north and overlooking the gorgeous Loch Creran. There are wild deer that come to visit and you have to watch out for them when you're driving up. The welcome from Karen and Sean was lovely, nothing was too much trouble and when we had a problem getting a booking at the Eriske Hotel for dinner, Karen very kindly sorted it all out for us. Fiona, who made our breakfast in the morning was lovely. The choice of breakfasts, cereals, juices, and even the ability to make a bloody mary was fantastic. There is complementary whisky and Baileys and an Nespresso machine. The rooms were gorgeous, with the most wonderful solid oak furniture and bathroom. The only thing I would say is that the fridge in the room, which contained complementary chocolate and nibbles, did make quite loud clicks when turning on and off and woke us up a couple of times, so I'd recommend perhaps putting them in some sort of small cupboard to help reduce the noise. Otherwise, it was perfect.

1 Thank ninoa
KarenOby, Owner at Ardtorna B&B, responded to this review, 13 September 2012
Thank you for taking the time to post a review on your 3 night stay with us. May i say it was a delight to meet you both ,and to be able to chat to you both during your stay.

The deer are a real delight, they have been coming down to the house most evenings and in the mornings too.

I was pleased to read that your meal at The Isle of Eriska Hotel was enjoyed. It is a wonderful place to dine with the most fabulous food. it is our favourite restaurant.
We are in a very fortunate position to have a great working relationship with the hotel, and they are most accommodating with our guests wishing to dine with them.

Great too that you were able to enjoy the complimentary Malt Whisky and Baileys during your stay. The Nespresso machine is a great hit with our guests too. The coffee is divine.
Our gourmet breakfast served in the glass dinning room is a lovely start to the day with a vast selection from home baking to our Bloody Mary station that is served along with our signature dishes.

You mentioned that you were disturbed by a clicking noise from your room fridge that occurred a couple of times during the night.
We spent a considerable amount of time choosing our room fridges, by making sure we chose ones that made a minimal amount of noise.
I am sorry if you were disturbed by this. We would not have minded in the slightest had you turned the fridge off.

I do hope to be able to welcome you both back to Ardtorna in the not too distant future...
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 September 2012

Best B&B I have ever been in the UK! Highly recommended. Very friendly couple Sean and Karen made us feel like we were home. Tasty breakfast with the great view of nature, very comfy beds and amazing chance to learn archercy from Sean! Will be back for sure.

KarenOby, Owner at Ardtorna B&B, responded to this review, 13 September 2012
Thank you for taking the time to post a review on your stay with us. It was a pleasure to meet you both, and to be able to chat to you during your stay.

I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your break, and that the archery lesson you both had with Sean went down well too.

I look forward to welcoming you back to Ardtorna in the not too distant future.
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 September 2012

We booked a night in the Ardtorna B&B as a night away for our wedding anniversary. It is the Ritz of the B&B world. An absolutely stunning location, with an amazing building. Karen and Sean were wonderful hosts, warm homemade scones with clotted on arrival, bucks fizz, continental chocs and fresh flowers in the room on arrival. Complimentary coffee, Baileys, and whiskey. A bed that made you want to get straight in it. The room was immaculate and spotless with beautiful views and the attention to detail was impressive. I can tell a woman has been in involved in the room design because the light was good, plenty of mirrors and plug sockets where you needed them for hairdryer etc! I can tell you that's important as a female business traveller regularly spending nights in hotels designed by men! Molton Brown toiletries were the piece de resistance in an overall fantastic setting. The breakfast next morning was equally mouth watering. I cannot speak highly enough of this west coast gem. Well done Karen and Sean.

Room Tip: All rooms I'm sure are amazing - I believe 4 in total, all with same amazing view. You can'...
KarenOby, Owner at Ardtorna B&B, responded to this review, 13 September 2012
Thank you for taking the time to post a review on your one night stay with us at Ardtorna.

It was very kind to say the we are the "Ritz of B and B's'. We like to make sure that all guests staying with us enjoy ' The Ardtorna Experience '
I am delighted to read that you both enjoyed your stay with us, and I do hope it will not be too long before you manage another trip back up our way.

If you are in the area on business, please do pop in if you are just passing by. There is always plenty home baking and coffee on the go !
argyll
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 September 2012

This place is really amazing. The rooms are excellent with so many extra touches that it would take too long to list. The coffee machine and the whiskey and Baileys, the warm scones to welcome you,the brilliant breakfast, the friendliness of the owners- basically the place is faultless and just the ticket if you need to unwind in a beautiful place.

KarenOby, Owner at Ardtorna B&B, responded to this review, 13 September 2012
Thank you for taking the time to post a review on your stay with us.

I am delighted to read that you enjoyed all the little extras that we like to offer our guests while staying with us.

The scones that we serve straight from the oven on the day of arrival seem to go down well, and i was pleased to read that you both enjoyed yours.
Great to read too that you enjoyed the complimentary Malt Whisky and Baileys during your stay.

I do hope it will not be too long before we are able to welcome you back to Ardtorna again...
Glasgow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 September 2012

‘Quality’ is the first word to apply to Ardtorna. The welcome from Karen & Sean was warm and friendly. The furnishings, amenities and comfort are superior. I wasn’t at first aware that the price quoted didn’t include compulsory £15 per head for breakfast, but Fiona presented an excellent breakfast – cooked fresh to order and varied to taste – and overall I felt extra was indeed provided for the higher price. The view from the breakfast room was remarkable. Don’t miss Sean’s scones on arrival. I was offered this accommodation by Karen when their other location was full on the night I chose. I'm glad this alternative was offered.

Room Tip: The location is a bit out of the way, but there are local amenities. Rooms would vary only in size...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
KarenOby, Owner at Ardtorna B&B, responded to this review, 13 September 2012
Thank you for taking the time to post a review on your one night stay at Ardtorna.

I just wanted to clarify that any bookings made through Late Rooms are for ' room only ' and there is an extra £15 charge for scones upon arrival, all goods in your room fridge, unlimited Malt Whisky and Baileys and our gourmet breakfast that is payable at Ardtorna. We do make this clear on the room description.
I feel the need to address this as it could be rather misleading for people reading your review thinking that we charge £15 for breakfast.
I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay , and that you were pleased with your half price upgrade from our sister property.

I do hope to be able to welcome you back to stay with us sometime in the future...
Berlin, Germany
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 September 2012

After 3 weeks back at home the Ardtorna is still in our mind and in our heart! Thank you so much, Karen and Sean, for the really amazing stay at your beautiful home, the caring and loving service! We enjoyed so much the excellent view, the nice room with the wonderful facilities and materials, noble soap (Molton Brown), the excellent welcome scone!, the whisky and Baileys bar for free, the wonderful breakfast together with all your guests and the kindly conversation. In summary our stay was brilliant!!! Thank you so much we´ll be back soon... KaThi

Room Tip: nicest view from the first room of the floor
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
KarenOby, Owner at Ardtorna B&B, responded to this review, 6 September 2012
Thank you for taking the time to post a review on your stay with us at Ardtorna.

I am delighted to read that you enjoyed all the little extras that we offer our guests while staying with us. The complimentary Baileys and local Malt Whisky does tend to go down well with all !
The scones that are served upon arrival that come straight out of the oven are too rather popular !

I do hope you will manage another trip over to Scotland in the not too distant future, and come and see us all at Ardtorna...
Also consider these accommodations in or near Barcaldine
Isle of Eriska Hotel, Spa & Island
#1 of 1 in Glencoe Village
Ardanaiseig Hotel
Ardanaiseig Hotel
#1 of 3 in Kilchrenan

Been to Ardtorna B&B? Share your experiences!