“The man with two brains”
Review of Ardtorna B&B

Ardtorna B&B
Ranked #1 of 3 Barcaldine B&B and Inns
Reviewed 19 October 2013

I really wanted to give this place top marks but kept having second thoughts. Firstly the positives: It is a perfectly placed property with views of the loch and of a contemporary design. The rooms are immaculate and very well appointed with high end designer fittings and tasteful furnishing. The bathroom is modern, stylish and stocked with expensive products. The host Sean goes out of his way to make you feel welcome with champagne, chocolates and roses in the room. A malt and liqueur are available in the hallway between rooms. The breakfast is a menu of ten or so different meals and was of a very good quality.
Right, so now you are thinking what is the problem with this place, it seems perfect: NOISE! This place echoes like a tin can, you can hear everything and I mean everything the other guests are doing and saying from switching on lights and up! The sound travels up the hall from the kitchen diner area, so you can even hear a knife cut onto a plate. The noise stopped around midnight and resumed very early.
We went down to breakfast, which is only served until 9 am, and joined the one big table( I hate sharing a table with strangers). We were jokingly greeted by a couple of the other guest and informed they had been up early since 4.30 am my wife replied dryly we know. The next couple down had a cold which they wanted to share with us. To quote Sartre " Hell is other people". Anyway on check out, an early 10 am considering the late 4 pm check in, my wife tried to raise our concerns with Sean about the noise to be told," Yes I know, it's the tiles". So all in all a lovely place to stay but a poor nights sleep.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Brian M
KarenOby, Owner at Ardtorna B&B, responded to this reviewResponded 26 February 2014

Thank you for taking the time to post a review on your 1 night stay with us at Ardtorna.

I was pleased to read that you liked the contemporary style of our place , along with the stunning views from each room of the property , and that you found our welcome to be warm.

I am, however, dismayed that you were disturbed by a guest leaving the building at 4.30am.
I ,too, was around the entire time of your stay and was unaware of any extraneous noise.

It strikes me as rather strange that someone who " hates sharing a table with other people " would freely choose to stay in an establishment who's web site clearly informs potential guests that there is a communal table.

You mentioned our check in and check out times in your review. This too is something that is clearly mentioned on our web site.
We do offer a late check our for those who wish to use the facilities until 12 for an extra charge , and this is clearly stated on the site too.

On the morning of your departure I asked you both if you enjoyed your stay and you said that you had. Your wife casually mentioned that she was aware of noise within the property. I then mentioned that due to the tiled floor there is a slight reduction in noise absorbtion but this is minimal as we have fitted all internal doors with softening strips.

We love the way our guests share experiences and warmth around the table and we look forward to many more positive experiences.

Reviewed 18 October 2013

We stayed here overnight on September 27th, on our way to a very early ferry to Tiree from nearby Oban the following morning. It was an overnight stay, until we arrived. Warm scones, cream and jam were the best welcome we've had to a B&B in over 20 years. The room was warm, comfortable, decorated with fresh roses and chocolates from a local chocolatiere and contained an immensely comfortable bed. Sean took time and effort to recommend a selection of local restaurants (accurate, from the place we visited - wonderful food and good views).

This was meant to be a one-off, but I am keen to visit the other Hebridean islands, and this is my first choice for an overnight stay between my home and the ferries to the islands.

Please try this place for yourself. If you love a good shower, a comfy bed or soaring design, this is the B&B for you.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
KarenOby, Owner at Ardtorna B&B, responded to this reviewResponded 20 October 2013

Thank you for taking the time to post a review on your rather brief visit to Ardtorna.

I was delighted to read that you liked the style of our place. I was pleased to read that the warm scones that we serve on the day of arrival went down rather well too !

Such a shame that you had to leave so early, and were unable to sample our gourmet breakfast.

Perhaps on the next visit your ferry times will be a little later and you will be able to relax and enjoy our extensive breakfast whilst enjoying spectacular views from our ceiling to floor glass fronted dining room.

Reviewed 18 October 2013 via mobile

Stayed at Ardtorna for 2 nights for our anniversary. Had read the many positive reviews prior to arriving so hoped for great things... & happy to report that our stay was fantastic. Room was bright & spotless. Loved the view of the loch from the room. The complimentary whisky & bailey's drink, plus the fancy coffee, was a really nice touch. The breakfast spread was superb, everything that could be homemade, was homemade, & the presentation was top drawer. Karen & Sean were great hosts & very welcoming. Thoroughly enjoyed our stay & loved uniqueness of Ardtorna.

• Stayed: October 2013

Thank you for taking the time to post a review on your 2 night stay with us at Ardtorna.

I was delighted to read that you both liked the design and style of our place. i was pleased that you were able to enjoy many of the little extras that we offer to our guests during a stay, from the Home Made Whisky Cream Liqueur to the hand made Soda bread that we serve along with our gourmet breakfast.

I do hope that we will be able to welcome you both back for another stay in the not too distant future.

Reviewed 8 October 2013

A one night stay for us at Ardtorna whilst on our tour of Scotland.

I booked a few days ago after having found the property on an internet search. We were allocated the Tioram room.

Clearly signposted from the road, we were greeted upon arrival by Sean, owner of Ardtorna. A very pleasant chap, clearly enthusiastic about the wonderful property he has. He gave us an informative guide of the house and showed us to our fantastic room (via the complimentary malt and home-made Irish Cream). The 4 guest rooms are all on the same level and have equally stunning views from the huge picture windows. Tioram is at the far end of the property and presumably benefits from not having other guests passing your door along the hallway. A beautifully appointed room with a huge bed, well chosen furnishings and a couple of specially made chocolates from the chocolatiers in Oban. To top it off, Sean provided us with much some much needed sustenance in the form of 2 huge home-made scones with jam and clotted cream. Perfect after our long trip.

Breakfast (which was pre-ordered the night before from the extensive breakfast menu) was certainly up to the high standards of the rest of the property. Another cheery greeting from Sean and an interesting chat about the build & development of the property, followed by a simply wonderful selection of cereals, juices, teas, coffees and even a freshly made smoothie. This was all in addition to the pre-ordered breakfast main course.

All in all an absolutely lovely place to stay, a real treat for anyone. Sean was the consummate host, providing just the right level of chat to make us feel welcome but not over-awed. This is certainly a property that I will be recommending to anyone planning to stay in the area. It is at the top end of the pricing for the properties we have booked on our tour of Scotland, but it was most definitely worth the money.

Highly recommended.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
KarenOby, Owner at Ardtorna B&B, responded to this reviewResponded 11 October 2013

Thank you for taking the time to post a review on your stay at Ardtorna.

I was delighted to read that you liked the design and style of our place and that our warm scones served upon arrival and our extensive gourmet breakfast went down well too !

I do hope that it will not be too long before we are able to welcome you both back for another stay.

Reviewed 29 September 2013 via mobile

Loved every second of our stay here. Stayed with my hubby for 2 nights as part of our Scottish holiday, September 25th & 26th. Warmly greeted on arrival by Karen who showed us to our room & brought us some yummy scones which were just the ticket after our drive from Edinburgh,
Room was fab, clean, spacious, modern & bright with an amazing view of the lake.
So impressed as I had requested a bath & she mentioned that she had jiggled people around to give it to me- and it was a jacuzzi bath to make it even better!
Fresh flowers in the room, a big bottle of water & 2 handmade chocolates which were devine!
iPod docking station was great, free wifi & lovely toiletries with possibly the biggest towels I have ever seen!
There was an espresso machine right outside our door & whiskey & a baileys type drink ( which we both loved) near us also.
There is 4 rooms which all seem quite similar as we had a look as they were cleaning! Breakfast was 1st class, great selection & everything cooked to order. Especially loved the Irish soda bread! Sean was very attentive during this also. They both obviously take great pride in their business.
The best thing about the place is the beds- there is the softest most luxurious mattress toppers on them that you just sink into & the duvets are similar, so cosy & slept like a log!
Don't like saying anything bad about the place but just 1 thing we didn't really like is that you sit with the other guests for breakfast at a big table of 8. Myself & my hubby wouldn't be great mixers at the best of times & definitely not first thing in the morning so it was a little awkward having to make forced small talk with people we didn't know!
All in all we absolutely loved our stay, would definitely come back & would recommend it to anyone wanting a peaceful relaxing break in the countryside.

• Stayed: September 2013
KarenOby, Owner at Ardtorna B&B, responded to this reviewResponded 30 September 2013

I was most pleased that you liked many aspects of our place , from the comfortable beds to the warm sones served upon arrival.
I always try to meet guests requests, and it was my pleasure to be able to offer you a free upgrade to an en suite spa bath and shower as opposed to the en suite wet room that you had originally booked.

I do hope that we are able to welcome you both back for another stay in the not too distant future.

Reviewed 27 September 2013

We enjoyed a lovely one night stay at Ardtorna in August. Karen and Sean were at a wedding but we were very well looked after by Greig (I think?).
Our room was spotlessly clean and comfortable. Scones on arrival were delicious and the breakfast was fantastic.
After reading so many positive reviews our expectations were very high and we were not disappointed. Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
KarenOby, Owner at Ardtorna B&B, responded to this reviewResponded 29 September 2013

Thank you for taking the time to post a review on your one night stay with us at Ardtorna.

I was delighted to read that you liked the design and style of our property, and that you were well looked after by Gregor while we were at a family wedding.

I shall pass your comments onto him , he will be most pleased.
He did say that you were both a delight to have as guests.

Reviewed 22 September 2013

We have just returned from a stay here and it was wonderful. Karen & Sean certainly give a warm and friendly welcome. Warms scones ,jam and clotted cream arrived in our room not long after arrival ( pity we couldnt enjoy them outside due to the drizzly weather!) That aside, rooms very clean and well presented and breakfast choice was amazing as was the company of the other guests staying! We are now planning our next visit. Hope to see you again soon!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank GillyG91
KarenOby, Owner at Ardtorna B&B, responded to this reviewResponded 23 September 2013

May I say that I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your time with us, and that the warm scones served upon arrival went down well too.

We both look forward to welcoming you back again for another stay.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Barcaldine
Falls Of Lora
Glencoe House
Glencoe House
#1 of 1 in Glencoe Village
Kilcamb Lodge Hotel & Restaurant

Been to Ardtorna B&B? Share your experiences!