“5 stars does not do this place justice!”
Review of Ardtorna B&B

Ardtorna B&B
Ranked #1 of 3 Barcaldine B&B and Inns
Reviewed 6 November 2013

We have just returned from our wee break in Oban...a fantastic place in itself but it says so much about a B&B when you actually LOOK FORWARD to coming in at the end of the day!

Sean and Karen (the owners) are the loveliest people and made Erin and myself feel relaxed, special and welcomed. I have always found B&Bs are a hit or a miss as you can sometimes feel intrusive but this was never going to be the case from the first moment we were greeted with warm scones, cream and homemade jam! If we could rent a room to stay there permanently we would!!!

Location was first class, facilities were first class, hosts were first class, attention to detail was first class, breakfast, I don't think I need to go on! Amazing! A choice of cereals, fruit, juices, and a choice of a hot breakfast which was excellently cooked by Sean (he did say Karen cooked a better one but we'll have to judge that next time!) ;-)

So sad to be back home but we will be back next year without a shadow of a doubt. Thanks again guys for making us feel so welcome! Truly. John and Erin x

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank jp1903
KarenOby, Owner at Ardtorna B&B, responded to this reviewResponded 7 November 2013

Thank you for taking the time to post a review on your 2 night stay with us in November.

Many thanks for your kind words with regards to the hospitality received. We are both very fortunate to love what we do. We look forward to welcoming guests to stay every day, and sharing our home with everyone.

It was such a delight to meet you both , and super to chat to you during your time at Ardtorna.

We both look forward to welcoming you back to stay sometime in 2014.

Reviewed 31 October 2013

On the occasion of my husbands birthday we spent 2 nights in this fabulous place. The owners Sean and Karen welcome you with good champagne and beautiful scones a real treat. The breakfasts have to be seen to be believed a wonderful choice all served in Villeroy and Boch tableware. This establishment is very like the 5star B&B found in Cape Cod called the Captains House at a fraction of the price.The fixtures and fittings are of the highest standard not counting the fluffiest robes ever plus towels that are the size of a king size sheets.We cannot recommend this place high enough an absolute delight.

Room Tip: All 4 rooms have a wonderful view of the loch.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to post a review on your stay with us while celebrating your birthday.

I was delighted to read that you liked many aspects of our place from the rather large towels to the gourmet breakfast.

We both look forward to welcoming you back for another stay in the not too distant future.

Reviewed 30 October 2013

My Boyfriend and I stayed at Ardtorna on the 25-26th October. We arrived a little later than expected due to traffic, but that did not deter Sean from Welcoming us in and showing us around. You can tell that Sean and Karen take pride in their establishment as soon as you drive up to park. Everything is literally perfect from the bedrooms, the amenities to the homemade whiskey liqueur and scones. I also noted the details during breakfast and in our room. Only the best products are used and this shows whe staying here.

Breakfast was lovely, the choice is great and Sean cooks and presents the food to a very high standard. Ardtorna really is a 5* service.

Both Sean and Karen are so friendly and welcoming, I have recommended the B&B to my family and friends and would most certainly come back.

Ps if you like seafood, then visit the sea food temple...it is delicios

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to post a review on your stay with us in October.

I was delighted to read that you liked the design and style of the property.
Great that you liked the home made Whisky Cream Liqueur , and that the warm scones served on the day of arrival went down well too !

Many thanks for recommending Ardtorna to your friends.

We both look forward to welcoming you back for another stay.

Reviewed 27 October 2013

Stayed here for 2 nights October 7/8th as part of a week's holiday in our own country. We had a very special couple of days with Sean and Karen. The welcome was very special from Sean, we had hot scones and a bottle of champagne. The scones were superb! The view from our room was fascinating, the boats going up and down and the light as night fell was something we don't see at home.

I loved this place as a home from home and as soon as we can we'll spend more time at Ardtorna. We love this area of Scotland, it's the gateway to so many other parts of our wonderful country that this would be a fabulous start to a break. And Sean - can he cook? OH YES HE CAN! Breakfast was to die for!!

I note a comment on trip advisor that it was noisy - never heard a thing, slept all night and we were right next to the dining room and main entrance. Maybe this traveller had extra sensitive hearing as we had a great sleep - both nights! Don't think about it just book it - you won't get any better bed & breakfast that this!

PS - spa bath is just such a luxury with the Molton Brown toiletries.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
KarenOby, Owner at Ardtorna B&B, responded to this reviewResponded 29 October 2013

Thank you for taking the time to post a review on your stay with us at Ardtorna.

I was delighted to read that you liked many aspects of our place, and that you were able to enjoy many of the little extras that we like our guests to enjoy during a stay from the warm scones and champagne served upon arrival to relaxing in in spa bath !

I shall pass your comments onto Sean with regards to his culinary skills - he will be rather pleased to hear your kind comments.

I do look forward to welcoming you both back for another visit in the not too distant future.

Reviewed 27 October 2013

A few weeks ago I spent a fantastic afternoon having my first Archery lesson from Sean. I had a private lesson as a birthday present and had a great time learning the basics. Sean was very patient and a good teacher, I'll definitely be back. I would highly recommend this to anyone. Later Karen & Sean gave me a tour of the fantastic facilities available for guests. Thanks for an excellent afternoon.

Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo

Lee,

Many thanks for posting a review on your private archery lesson up at Ardtorna.

Delighted to hear that you enjoyed the afternoon.

It was a delight to meet you, and to be able to show your around our place. Thank you for your kinds comments with regards to the design of the property.

We hope to see you back up at Ardtorna sometime in the not too distant future for another lesson.

Reviewed 22 October 2013 via mobile

Fantastic modern B&B
With great view .
Lovely space of garden
Front of sea view !
Service Sean provide
Was excellent !
Better then five star hotel .
Shower room was really
Amazingly clean & modern design deco &
powerful Shower water .

Choice of tea & compliment
Whisky & snack in the room service was excellent .

Only thing , floor was too cold
As tile and no carpet in the room
Suggest to provide room slipper if cold whether like oct
I did not know how to control
Room temperature
I sleep as 23 c . .
But I was so impress night gown
Sleep well in the cold night

• Stayed: October 2013
1  Thank sunny197251
KarenOby, Owner at Ardtorna B&B, responded to this reviewResponded 25 October 2013

Thank you for taking the time to review your one night stay with us at Ardtorna.

I was delighted to read that you both liked many features of Ardtorna , and that you were able to enjoy some of the little extras that we like our guests to sample during a stay with us , from the complimentary Malt Whisky to the fluffy bath robes.

You paid reference to the tiled flooring not being really warm under your feet. We set all the bedroom temperatures to 21 c. The entire property has under floor heating fed from our ground source heat pump. Should this not be warm enough we also have Dyson Fans in each bedroom that will provide instant heat.

I do hope that we will be able to welcome you both back for another visit should you be back in the UK.

Reviewed 19 October 2013

I really wanted to give this place top marks but kept having second thoughts. Firstly the positives: It is a perfectly placed property with views of the loch and of a contemporary design. The rooms are immaculate and very well appointed with high end designer fittings and tasteful furnishing. The bathroom is modern, stylish and stocked with expensive products. The host Sean goes out of his way to make you feel welcome with champagne, chocolates and roses in the room. A malt and liqueur are available in the hallway between rooms. The breakfast is a menu of ten or so different meals and was of a very good quality.
Right, so now you are thinking what is the problem with this place, it seems perfect: NOISE! This place echoes like a tin can, you can hear everything and I mean everything the other guests are doing and saying from switching on lights and up! The sound travels up the hall from the kitchen diner area, so you can even hear a knife cut onto a plate. The noise stopped around midnight and resumed very early.
We went down to breakfast, which is only served until 9 am, and joined the one big table( I hate sharing a table with strangers). We were jokingly greeted by a couple of the other guest and informed they had been up early since 4.30 am my wife replied dryly we know. The next couple down had a cold which they wanted to share with us. To quote Sartre " Hell is other people". Anyway on check out, an early 10 am considering the late 4 pm check in, my wife tried to raise our concerns with Sean about the noise to be told," Yes I know, it's the tiles". So all in all a lovely place to stay but a poor nights sleep.

1  Thank Brian M
KarenOby, Owner at Ardtorna B&B, responded to this reviewResponded 26 February 2014

Thank you for taking the time to post a review on your 1 night stay with us at Ardtorna.

I was pleased to read that you liked the contemporary style of our place , along with the stunning views from each room of the property , and that you found our welcome to be warm.

I am, however, dismayed that you were disturbed by a guest leaving the building at 4.30am.
I ,too, was around the entire time of your stay and was unaware of any extraneous noise.

It strikes me as rather strange that someone who " hates sharing a table with other people " would freely choose to stay in an establishment who's web site clearly informs potential guests that there is a communal table.

You mentioned our check in and check out times in your review. This too is something that is clearly mentioned on our web site.
We do offer a late check our for those who wish to use the facilities until 12 for an extra charge , and this is clearly stated on the site too.

On the morning of your departure I asked you both if you enjoyed your stay and you said that you had. Your wife casually mentioned that she was aware of noise within the property. I then mentioned that due to the tiled floor there is a slight reduction in noise absorbtion but this is minimal as we have fitted all internal doors with softening strips.

We love the way our guests share experiences and warmth around the table and we look forward to many more positive experiences.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Barcaldine
Falls Of Lora
#1 of 8 in Connel
Barcaldine House Hotel
Barcaldine House Hotel
#1 of 1 in Barcaldine

Been to Ardtorna B&B? Share your experiences!