“Hospitality at the highest stage!”
Review of Ardtorna B&B

Ardtorna B&B
Ranked #1 of 3 Barcaldine B&B and Inns
Reviewed 18 June 2014

The Ardtorna B&B is definitely the best B&B we’ve ever been. It really is on eye level with five star hotels! Karen and Sean are wonderful hosts! The interior is modern, tasteful furnished and very clean. The room was well equipped with bath robes, fluffy big towels, superior cosmetic products, good hair dryer, wonderful mattress and bed linen as well as a fridge with offered drinks and little yummy snacks. The breakfast was wonderful and fulfilled any possible desire!
The only regret we have is that our stay was too short! We will be back for sure!!!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
KarenOby, Owner at Ardtorna B&B, responded to this reviewResponded 29 June 2014

Thank you for your lovely review. I was most pleased to read that you liked the design and style of Ardtorna , and that you were able to enjoy many of the little extras that we offer our guests during a stay.
We look forward to your return visit.

There are newer reviews for Ardtorna B&B

Reviewed 14 June 2014

What a fantastic B&B, a beautiful, peaceful space with amazing views. The accommodation is absolutely stunning, both in terms of the architecture and the furnishings and finishing touches. Karen and Sean were lovely, very friendly and welcoming and we loved the little 'extras', from the delicious hot scones, homemade whisky cream liqueur and the little nibbles in the fridge. I would highly recommend this wee gem and hopefully we will return again soon.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
KarenOby, Owner at Ardtorna B&B, responded to this reviewResponded 29 June 2014

Thank you for taking the time to post a review on your stay with us at Ardtorna.

I was delighted to read that you enjoyed the Ardtorna experience, and we look forward to your return visit.

Reviewed 10 June 2014 via mobile

We found Ardtorna through itison and I phoned first to see if they had a room available on a particular date before I bought the offer. They didn't have the date I was looking for, but
offered the Sunday night instead for the same deal which was very useful and saved me the trouble of ordering through itison first. I was made to feel slightly troublesome when I used my credit card to pay for the booking as apparently they had to pay commission (which I felt was not really any of my business). I found Karen to be slightly abrubt, but perhaps this is just her manner. When I asked for confirmation by email I felt that I was being a hindrance as I was told that she had a lot of emails to reply to. I just feel her manner could perhaps be a bit friendlier. I have to say that Sean more than made up for this during our stay as he was very welcoming. When we enquired about transport to a local restaurant for dinner, we were advised that a taxi would have to come from Oban. I was slighty confused as the website advises that transport can be arranged at a considerably cheaper price than a taxi, but there was no mention of this. I think it would be useful to update the website in this regard. Sean did however offer to give us a lift to our car in the morning if we left it at the restaurant. This was a very nice offer. I found the place to be as lovely as it is shown to be on their website - the fixtures and fittings are very luxurious and the extras provided were fabulous. The scones in particular were extremely yummy! The provision of snacks and cooled water in the fridge were a great addition and the huge towels, bathrobes and spa bath were excellent. Other reviewers have mentioned that noise is an issue, but although you can hear people in the communal area, this was only when we had our door open so was not a problem at all. The place is small, so you have to expect occasional noise. Overall, the whole place was very peaceful. We didn't get the
best nights sleep, but this was due to the room being warm and the mattress topper which we found to be uncomfortable. We opened the window, but the wooden slats were very noisy with the breeze and we couldn't sleep with the noise of the fan. I think it would've been better if we could have opened the bathroom window to get a through draft. These are personal issues though and the quality of
the fan is excellent. We are just not use to sleeping with the noise. The mattress topper was comfortable to lie on, but made the bed too soft to sleep on for our personal taste. Breakfast was delicious in the morning and all the extra effort in the form of the homemade bread and jam really elevate this above an average b & b. We found eating with other guests was an unexpected pleasure as we thought we might have found this awkward.

Overall, a lovely, luxurious b & b in a beautiful location with welcoming owners.

• Stayed: June 2014
KarenOby, Owner at Ardtorna B&B, responded to this reviewResponded 11 June 2014

Thank you for taking the time to post a review on your Ardtorna experience.

I was delighted to read that you liked the design and style of the property , and that you were able to appreciate many of the little extras that we like our guests to enjoy during a stay, from the warm scones served from the oven on arrival to our award winning gourmet breakfast.

You seemed to have had a few issues regarding your stay, and I shall try to address these issues ...

You made the booking by telephone and I personally took the reservation. I told you that the only room we could offer you was one with a spa bath and a shower. I did explain that this room was not part of the half price offer we were running.
At this stage I waived the supplement , and asked if you could provide a debit card as opposed to a credit card as it was commissionable at our end. I felt that this was a fair comment considering we were being more than generous with the free room upgrade.
After completion of the booking transaction you asked me to e mail you a confirmation.
I pointed out that we do not tend to send e mail confirmations from telephone bookings during the offer period due to the magnitude of calls etc.. I did state that I would be more than happy to reply back to you at the end of the day after the phone lines were closed if you would kindly drop me a quick e mail.
I explained the reason being that many e mails sent by ourselves had been appearing in peoples junk folders. However when replying to guests e mails it seemed to go directly to the guests e mail address.

You paid reference to the fact that we do not offer reduced transportation to local restaurants...
The taxi firm that we use allows of guests a £20 reduction on each return fare to Oban compared to a metered taxi.
We feel that this is a considerable saving, and a service that many of our guests use on a weekly basis and have done so for 4 years since we opened.

I do hope that I have been able to address the issues that you have raised in your review.

I hope that you will both manage another stay with us in the not too distant future.

Reviewed 5 June 2014

This wee b&b is all of the above. Karen and Sean are excellent hosts. The location is excellent,the wee touches ,i.e. cream teas, canapes,complimentary wine, malt and liqueurs, just make this place that extra bit special, and I haven't even mentioned the excellent breakfasts!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
KarenOby, Owner at Ardtorna B&B, responded to this reviewResponded 11 June 2014

Thank you for your lovely review.

I was most pleased that you were able to enjoy many of the little extras that we like our guests to enjoy during a stay.

I do hope that it will not be too long before we are able to welcome you back for another stay.

Reviewed 4 June 2014

Ardtorna is in a stunning location and the hosts were extremely friendly and gave great suggestions on how to make the most of our 5 day trip.

Sean produced breakfasts better than any we have had previously around the world, and at a beautifully set table, with such aplomb that everyone was made to feel special.

The room was beautifully presented and we were very comfortable. We did enjoy a complimentary whiskey and home made "Baileys" type drinks, a lovely touch!

All in all, we had a wonderful time during our 4 night stay and hope to visit again some time in the future.

A trip to Fingal's cave must not be missed and the seafood at Ee-usk and Coast in Oban was excellent.

Wishing Ardtorna and Karen and Sean great success and happiness in the future. Thank you again.

Geoff and Louise, Chester

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends

Geoff and Louise,

Many thanks for your lovely review after your 4 night stay with us.

I was delighted to read that you liked the design and style of the property, and that Seans gourmet breakfasts served each morning went down a treat.

May I say that it was such a delight to meet you all, and I do hope that we will be seeing you back at Ardtorna in the not too distant future.

Reviewed 30 May 2014

We have travelled from Peru to Borneo, Australia to Oman, Brazil to Croatia and much, much more. But never have we come across two individuals like Karen and Sean who are so "customer focused".
Our room was stylish, spotless and superbly well appointed. The breakfasts were the best I have ever had anywhere in the world. The setting was magical.
The decor was amazing, so much so that I am now about to incorporate some of their touches (not least of all the paintings) into my own home.
Simply the best.
Neil and Viv

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends

Neil and Viv,

Many thanks for your lovely review after your 4 night stay with us at Ardtorna.

I was so pleased to read that you liked the design of our property, and that you found the customer service comparable to your travels throughout the world.

May I say that it was such a delight to meet you all, and we look forward to welcoming you back sometime in the not too distant future.

Reviewed 25 May 2014

From the moment we arrived to the end it was fantastic. Karen and Sean make you feel as if you are going to have a great time in fab surroundings with fab rooms and service and you are!!
The very best you will get .
From the room to the whisky tipple outside the room to the best breakfast in Scotland with a lovely friendly couple who quite rightly are proud of what they have achieved.
The views from the house are outstanding.
You are located 9 miles from Oban but convenient for many tourist attractions.
I' m now speechless - We are going back for more.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
KarenOby, Owner at Ardtorna B&B, responded to this reviewResponded 11 June 2014

Many thanks for taking the time to post a review on your stay with us at Ardtorna.

Thank you for your kind comments. We are both most fortunate to love what we do , and each day we look forward to welcoming guests to stay with us.

We look forward to your return visit.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Barcaldine
Isle of Eriska Hotel, Spa & Island
#1 of 2 in Kentallen
The Pierhouse Hotel
The Pierhouse Hotel
#2 of 2 in Port Appin

Been to Ardtorna B&B? Share your experiences!