Melfort House
  • Bar/Lounge
  • Bar/Lounge
  • Pool
  • Restaurant
All reviewsb bbring your own winecourse dinneron arrivalrooms are largesitting roombed and breakfastpicture windowbeautiful propertydelicious breakfastoverlooking lochopen log firecauliflower souptop classlovely roomgorgeous viewsstayed longer
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 24 August 2013

Yes, I read the reviews before going there, and even knowing what to expect I was surprised by just how good it really was. The relaxed atmosphere was superb. In the pictures, I thought the dinning room looked a little austere and formal, but in reality, and with the candles all lit, the ambiance was near perfect.

I do quiet a few reviews on Trip Advisor, but mainly for restaurants, and I'm normally prompted with the question, 'was this one of the best meals you've ever eaten?'. I've never been able to answer yes before, and was looking forward to being able to answer affirmatively this time, only I wasn't asked.

I tend to remember my holidays by the 'memorable' food dishes I've eaten. Suffice to say, Matthew produced several which for me, outstanding winners (favourite being the Venison). I sincerely hope it won't be too long before being able to make a return visit. The combination of the food, the place, and the whole ambiance made it one of my all time favourite breaks.

Matthew is a charming host with a wonderful relaxed way.

Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 August 2013

We travelled around Scotland with friends and made Melfort House the "last and best" stop of our journey through the Highlands. What a great choice it was! Our host, also our chef, was a wealth of information about the area and made us most welcome in his beautiful home. After a fabulous repast (haggis, pork stuffed with black pudding and cream sauce were the highlights) we retired to the gorgeously decorated sitting room for conversation with the other guests (there are 3 rooms total.) Our bedroom was beautifully decorated, fresh and clean, with handmade soap and fresh flowers in the bath. The bed and bedding were top class. Though luxurious, Melfort House is firstly a home, welcoming and gracious, where you'll feel relaxed, pampered and very lucky to be there. The raves you read here on Tripadvisor might lead you to believe this wonderful place is expensive--but we thought it was a true bargain, paying less than we did at more "ordinary" places in the popular (especially in August) Highlands. We wholeheartedly recommend it.

Room Tip: Melfort House doesn't provide liquor or wine, but will serve whatever wine you bring with you at no corkage fee. Stay longer than we did!
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 11 August 2013 via mobile

We stayed for one night on our way home to edinburgh after a holiday on skye. One night was not nearly enough! The house, grounds and location are stunning. The house is immaculate with a beautiful drawing room with views down over the loch. Our room (loch suite) was huge with one of the most comfortable beds I've ever slept in. It had everything you need for a comfortable stay- including a couple of wee drams of whisky! Matthew, the owner, was extremely friendly and helpful as well as being an outstanding chef. The meal he prepared was absolutely delicious-far superior to most meals we've had in "proper" restaurants and it was lovely getting to know the other guests over dinner and drinks. Matthew made us feel so at home and what was supposed to be a stop on the way hone from holiday turned out to be the highlight of our whole trip!

The other rave reviews of Melfort House are not an exaggeration- it's hard to do this place justice! I cannot recommend Melfort House enough.

• Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed 10 August 2013

Wow-this was an amazing find! It made our holiday-it was without doubt perfect in every way. It was complete luxury- gorgeous homemade cakes on arrival. We stayed for 4 nights. The rooms were fabulous and the bed so comfortable. Even the weather was perfect!

• Stayed: July 2013
Reviewed 19 July 2013

We had 2 nights in Melfort House and although the owners were away Dawn, who was looking after the house, made us feel very welcome and at home. We werre greeted with a pot of tea and her home made cake.
The views down the loch were stunning even though it was raining off and on. Breakfast and dinner were delicious with local produce including home grown salad, vegetables and potatoes.
Lots to see and do around the area. All in all a very relaxing enjoyable stay.

Room Tip: All rooms are have lovely viewa but the best one is the Loch view.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple