Muthu Dalmally Hotel
Portsonachan Hotel(Portsonachan)
Ardlui Hotel(Ardlui)
The George Hotel(Inveraray)
  • Breakfast included
All reviewshighland heritagecoach drivercoach holidaylong journeyian cleavershort breaklast nighthotel managerexcellent driverhand washtwin bedsbath and showernegative commentshard workingbar prices areenjoyable holidayben nevis
Reviewed 31 January 2014

Our first experience of a coach tour in this five day/four night January Short Break with Highland Heritage. We hadn't realised the significance of the 13 hrs on the coach to get there from Lincolnshire and on our return, but the driver(s) were very good on stopping about every 2 hrs for comfort breaks and looked after us very well throughout the daily tours.The food was varied and of good quality for the supplied breakfasts and dinners, with hardly any waiting considering the number of people in the dining room. The room was excellent and warm, often requiring us to switch off the heater before being overcome by the build-up of heat, and served us very well. The daily tour(s) was good, well planned and executed by our driver after our leisurely breakfast - timewise at least!

We met and made friends with several of our fellow coach travellers from the Yorkshire/Lincolnshire area.

A very satisfying short trip away from our home area.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
9  Thank jsthorneycroft
Reviewed 26 January 2014

This was my second New Year trip with Highland Heritage. Firstly, the good points: the Dalmally Hotel is so much better than the Royal Hotel was last year. The rooms were better appointed. There was no rendering falling off the walls of this hotel! With one exception, it looked cleaner and fresher.

If you like the heat, the Dalmally is for you. The heater in my room was only controllable by using the on/off switch. Good job I could open the window in my room otherwise I would have roasted.

Other reviewers have described the other aspects of the tour and I agree with them. I would echo Hilary C - the singer on New Year's Eve should realise that singing is not for her. A cat with someone standing on its tail would have sounded better!

Now the bad points: I agree with the comments about the dining room chairs. Some of them were disgusting and are in urgent need of cleaning. As for the food - as last year it was plentiful and hot. However, for this veggie it was deeply disappointing. Being served soup with a meat stock and being told it was vegetable soup is unacceptable, as is attempting to serve me trifle with jelly in it! As for the main courses, each of the 4 night stay, I was served cheese (cheese salad, veggie lasagne, broccoli cheese and lasagne - again). Ian Cleaver lauds his chef's reputation in his brochure yet they serve veggie food that would have been questionable 20 years ago! They need to search the internet (I know they have it) and realise there is more to wholesome veggie food than cheese!!!

Overall, the trip represents good value for money and the staff are, by and large, eager to please but I won't be returning for another Cheesefest, sorry New Year until such time as the menu improves.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank jb012
Reviewed 15 January 2014

Just had new year at the dalmally hotel. Staff very good, nothing was to much trouble for them. Entertainment on the whole was very good only one bad night but that didn't spoil our break. Just hope the singer from New Year's Eve losses her nerve and gives up singing!!!!
Really good time.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
4  Thank Hilary C
Reviewed 8 January 2014

Our holidays in 2013 was confined to staying in the uk so we ( my wife and myself ) had a couple of short breaks and three coach trips , two in Scotland and one in England . Coach trips are not everyones choice since they are very routine and you have to go with the flow .
Our third trip was our new year break with Highland Heritage to the Dalmally Hotel from Mon 30th Dec to Frid 3rd Jan . We were picked up pm in Glasgow and stopped at the groups hotels in Tyndrum to drop off passengers at both hotels , we were greeted there by Fraser the hotel manager .
We then arrived at our hotel about 20 mins later and was also greeted by Michael our hotel manager . The cases were unloaded and taken to your room by porters . Our room was large and had a bath and shower which we both like . Our room was a superior room and it is worth the extra cost for having a bath and extras . The only complaint in many of these hotels is the very squeaky floorboards , the people in the room above seemed to walk a marathon every day to our annoyance .
The dinners and the breakfasts were all first class and always hot which is a bonus , the waiters were mostly polish , very smart and polite and hard working . The bar was not open all day but had hours to suit the trips , the hotel operations are geared for breakfast and dinner and is empty during the day . The bar prices were very good and the bar staff worked hard , the entertainment all nights were of a very good standard and most people had a dance and enjoyed the Scottish hospitality .
The coach tours were comfortable and drivers had a good local knowledge of the tour areas , the coaches although eight years old were very clean and kept in good condition although none had a toilet fitted .
I have read elcondo,s report and agree the dinning room chairs were very dirty and require urgent attention . However we had a good holiday and enjoyed the hotel , the meals and the entertainment which was all good value for this time of year .
As I said before coach trips are not everyones cup of tea but they certainly give great value , we met up with some nice people on all our trips and enjoyed their company at night after dinner .

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
9  Thank Jontro
Reviewed 6 January 2014

my wife and I had a fantastic stay at the highland heritage dalmally hotel the journey was long winded all though the hotel and staff were superb the food was very good the entertainment was good on all the nights we stayed. new year was seen in with toast of special whiskey I could not fault..my stay ... we travelled from derby the rest of guests were a brilliant crowed from Doncaster Nottingham Mansfield driver Darren was brill I would recommend this holiday to all my friends for value and content phillip peach

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family