“Lovely hotel”

Loch Melfort Hotel and Restaurant
Ranked #1 of 1 Arduaine B&B and Inns
Reviewed 22 April 2014

My husband, myself and large golden retriever recently spent two nights here. The first night was an itison DBB deal and I booked a second night so we had a full day to explore the area. Because we had a dog we were limited to the Cedar Wing but that was fine. The first room we were shown to had a very strong smell of smoke - someone had been illegally smoking which must be very annoying for the hotel staff. We were immediately shown to another room which was better for the dog as it was at the end of the block so very quick and easy to take him out for a walk. I would echo comments made by another reviewer about lazy dog owners. My husband felt compelled to clean up some other dog's mess - done right in front of the dining room windows! - because he was worried people would think it was our dog who had done it.

The room was very pleasant with a very comfortable king size bed, tea and coffee making facilities with homemade shortbread and a small table and two chairs to enjoy the stunning views out of the patio windows. There was also a small verandah with a couple of chairs and the weather was warm enough to sit out but we didn't have time.

Our itison deal included the set dinner in the Bistro or £15 towards the a la carte menu in the Bistro or the main dining room. We ate in the Bistro the first night and the young chap who served us was absolutely excellent, moving us to a window table as soon as one became vacant. I had mussels and fish and chips and the portions were so generous there was no room for dessert. The second night we ate in the dining room and I really over indulged myself with Loch Melfort Langoustines and a half Loch Melfort lobster, both freshly caught and absolutely delicious. Again no room for dessert, but I shared my husband's very generous cheese plate. There is a very good choice of wines in the "reasonable" bracket.

The staff were all very good. Pleasant and friendly and very helpful. I am already planning a return trip to the Loch Melfort Hotel later in the year for a photography weekend, as a birthday present for my husband who is a keen photographer.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 8 April 2014

Loch Melfort Hotel

We went on a Groupon Deal to this beautiful hotel. We were in an upper chalet style room in the Cedar wing with a private balcony. On entering the room the view of the Loch and islands and distant hills, was stunning, from the wall-to-wall windows. The hotel is a very short walk to the waters edge. The room and toilet was very clean.

If you get room 23, do not flush at night, as it is noisy. Unfortunately, the shower was dreadful with very little water. I struggled to rinse off the soap and shampoo. On reporting this to the reception on the first day, we were informed that someone would look at it. I do not believe anyone did as the second day it was even worse. I got up an hour earlier hoping to beat the rush and let the shower run as requested but I could have had an extra hour in bed.

We went exploring and found a very comfortable lounge again with the wonderful view across Loch Melfort. It was very pleasant just to sit and look out at the changing light whilst having a drink. A pint of Stella and a G & T £10.50. The grounds are very pleasant. The hotel has provision for dogs and had thoughtfully provided a dog dirt bin. It is unfortunate some owners are lax. We were taking pictures in the grounds at a decorative rowing boat next our accommodation and got dog dirt stuck to our feet, be warned the grass is covered in it. The dog dirt bin was right there in full view. Lazy people.

We decided to dine in the hotel on the first night and were requested to be in the lounge half and hour before our allotted time to peruse the menu. We had a dinner voucher for £20 per person through our Groupon deal. We were told it was £15. I asked them to check and they verified the correct amount. We were informed that there were so many deals on they can get mixed up. I had not eaten all day so was really looking forward to my meal. We chose for starters Leek and potato soup, and scallops with cauliflower cream, artichoke hearts and truffle, the flavours were wonderful. Mains consisted of steak and lamb, the steak was very good with chips and salad. The lamb was conspicuous by its absence. It was a very small chop, which had to be chewed and chewed. My husband being a butcher to trade can verify the cut. The vegetables were having the night off. I was not aware I had to order sides of vegetables as with the plate costing over £22, I would have expected to have a satisfying meal. We declined desert, as I had not had much luck so far, so I did not want to take the chance. I went down to the car after midnight in my nightwear looking for something to eat, as I was very hungry. Such a pity. The dinning room was beautiful again with the magnificent view and the staff very attentive. I do not understand why certain staff have to speak to you so loudly that everyone in the room hears everything they say to you. I would expect more discretion. Breakfast is continental, but a full breakfast can be ordered. All of the food we had tasted wonderful, but I feel customers should be advised to order side dishes as the plated portions on certain dishes are not adequate.

There is no wifi in the room only in public areas. I know many may not require this and want to get away but in this day and age, it is a part of life.

The television is mounted on the wall and I believe there are quite a few channels. There is an electric radio clock, bedside lamps, dressing table lamp, overhead light, plenty of wardrobe and drawer space. I cannot verify how good the hairdryer supplied is as I take my own. Toiletries are supplied and plenty of towels. There were a couple of pretty leather chairs in the room. I would suggest something be done to help keep the cushions in place as they slide off the chairs.

I cannot emphasis how clean our room and all areas we frequented were, in this beautiful hotel.

Roast Islay Scallops Confit Artichokes
Truffle Sauce Vierge Crispy Crackling
Char grilled Cutlet of Argyll Lamb Confit Shoulder
Fondant Potato Pea Purée Roast Shallots

Room Tip: All of the Cedar rooms have a wonderful view. I don't know about the rooms in the main house. If...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
GlasgowHugh, Owner at Loch Melfort Hotel and Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 2 May 2014

Many thanks for your very comprehensive review and for the time and effort you put into writing it. We are glad you enjoyed your stay and hope we can welcome you back here again soon.

Reviewed 7 April 2014

I've visited this hotel on numerous occasions over the last twenty years or so with work colleagues, family and solo and have always found two compelling reasons to return: the outstanding sea views across Asknish Bay to the islands and the quality of the food, especially the local seafood. True, the rooms in the lodge-style Cedar Wing were beginning to look dated and shabby and the views were sometimes partially obscured by misted double glazing units, but I was happy to put up with this for the sake of the location, the food and the welcome. The present owners have now refurbished the rooms and on my most recent two-night stay I was more than happy with the result. My first floor room was light, spacious and came with a very comfortable king-size bed. I found the room temperature in early April to be fine, but a supplementary electric heater is provided for those who might be feeling the cold. On my first night I chose dinner from the four-course table d'hote menu and on the second from the limited off-season bistro menu. As usual the quality of the food was spot-on and the service was efficient and friendly. The bistro menu's very generous portions took me by surprise after the more modest ones from the table d'hote menu, but I manned up and got stuck in. A full cooked breakfast was included in the price. An ample continental buffet is provided and hot items are cooked to order. Breakfast service doesn't start until 8 am which may be a little late for some guests on business or those heading to Oban for an early ferry. This has always been one of my favourite Scottish hotels, but the recent improvements to the rooms have made it even more inviting. I'll be back soon.

Room Tip: Rooms on the upper floor of the Cedar Wing are more private: guests often stroll on the grass in fro...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
GlasgowHugh, Owner at Loch Melfort Hotel and Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 16 April 2014

Many thanks for writing a review and it is always lovely to welcome back previous guests who haven't stayed for a while and can see the improvements that we have made over the last 5 years. We do hope you will be able to come back again soon.

Reviewed 2 April 2014

We arrived on beautiful sunny march day to be warmly welcomed by a very friendly receptionist. We were even given a tour of the hotel and then taken to our room in the cedar wing. Our room was clean modern with stunning views across to Jura. We sat on the balcony (yes in march in Scotland) and soaked up the beautiful scenery with a cup of tea and loch melfort shortbread whilst enjoying the antics of the highland cows in the field adjacent. We had dinner from the Bistro menu which was limited as off season. Huge portions which was a bit off putting. We had dinner at 6.45 so got a window seat with the wonderful views. Tip eat early as the tables are not reservable.
We had a good nights sleep. Comfortable bed and temperature perfect in our room. Breakfast the next morning was continental and was pleasant.
I must commend the staff they are very friendly and hardworking. A really credit to the owners.
Loch melfort hotel is a wonderful little hotel and I would definitely recommend it to my friends and family. Thank you for making our stay very enjoyable.

1  Thank geminicat-67

Many thanks for writing a review and we are so glad you enjoyed your stay. We look forward to welcoming you back here again soon.

Reviewed 1 April 2014

We had an overnight stay at the end of march.We found the the staff friendly. We stayed in one of the ground floor rooms in the Cedar wing. These rooms are motel like but the room was clean and warm, all have terrific views of the loch. We had a deal which included dinner from the bistro menu which in our case was the fish in both coarse's.which was lovely and fresh and plenty of it, Here our only criticism would be, is that the mussel starter was served in a large pot and the main fish and chips was overflowing with salad. Its nice to get large portions, but sometimes to much can be of putting. Just a little less would make it a lot more pleasant. The service was a little slow but would put this down to the start of the season and it was busy.The view from the restaurant was also lovely. The breakfast was good we had the kippers and were excellent.If staying take a walk around Arduaine Gardens which are right next to the hotel. Would stay again.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple

Many thanks for writing a review and we are glad you enjoyed your stay. I have passed on your comment about portion size to our Head Chef. We hope you can enjoy a short break back here again soon.

Reviewed 31 March 2014

Travelling down to Tarbert we called in here for a Coffee Break. What a lovely spot to sit and enjoy a very nice coffee while taking in the panoramic views of Loch Melfort. The staff were welcoming and efficient, even though we were only having coffees.

Well worth the stop, and we will certainly try to book a room here when we are next planning a Scottish trip.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple

Many thanks for taking the time to write a review and we glad you enjoyed your coffees stop. We would be delighted to welcome you back next time you are in Scotland.

Reviewed 31 March 2014

Just returned from a short 2 night stay in this beautiful part of Scotland.The management say 'they want to be the best run 3 star hotel' and to our minds they are already there!Great spirit among the team and each as charming and attentive as the next.Highly recommended.Would love to return and spend more time exploring the loch-side and neighbouring gardens.Brian and Carol Wilkinson

Dear Brian and Carol
Thanks so much for your delightful review and we are so glad you enjoyed your stay. We have a great team of staff and they will be really happy to get such lovely feedback.
Look forward to you returning here
Rachel and Calum

Also consider these accommodations in or near Arduaine
Stonefield Castle Hotel
#1 of 1 in Cairnbaan
Crinan Hotel
Crinan Hotel
#1 of 1 in Crinan

Been to Loch Melfort Hotel and Restaurant? Share your experiences!