“Beautiful views & great staff but a few drawbacks”
Review of Loch Melfort Hotel

Loch Melfort Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Arduaine B&B and Inns
Reviewed 1 May 2014

We stayed in the Cedar Wing and the views from the rooms at Loch Melford are just wonderful. The rooms are quite well fitted out (maybe a slightly larger TV would have been good) and the room sizes appear quite ample. We had a king size bed, although it was in fact two mattresses put together it was very comfortable. The staff here are very nice too. They are all genuinely friendly and attentive to everyones needs. However, there are some drawbacks. The most annoying was that the water in the bathrooms is quite a bit lacking (as mentioned in other reviews on Tripadvisor) but if you have read those reviews you are prepared for that and therefore we accepted that this would be an issue and took an all in one shampoo/shower cream. For us, with less water coming through (but certainly hot enough) it just took longer to shower. But the very annoying thing for us was the TV system. It appears to have the basic TV package (which was fine for us) but it is run from a central system somewhere and every few minutes whilst you are watching the TV the picture goes off, then comes back on again, then you can see number popping up on the screen as though someone is putting the channel number in. Then is comes back to you programme, then 5 minutes later (if that) it does it all over again......very annoying! We found that we could hear people in the room below us talking first thing in the morning and every time they shut their patio doors they slammed it but that is not really the hotels fault? The maintenance that is required on a hotel like this will be never ending and it is generally kept up very well, the reception, lounge and dining rooms are stunning. However, some of the finish in the bedrooms is not up to the class of the rest of the hotel, doors are tired - marks, gaps in grout etc. and the bath panel is just a bit of wood screwed on but it serves its purpose and looks acceptable. The staff service your room each day with lovely new towels, coffee, tea, milk, toilet roll etc. and this is lovely. It would have been nice if they had taken the obvious dead bug out of the bath when they serviced but overall it was really nice how they serviced the room. The quality of the food here is good BUT........yet again it losses it's edge on some things (much like the rooms) they really should stop buying catering packs of sliced loaf, rolls and pre mixed salads & vegs etc. It definitely takes away the quality of a hotel when it could buy or make big homemade style loaves and slice it up or buy something pre-sliced that appears homemade instead of the obvious cheap heavy toast or heavy bread rolls. Just a dribble of dressing on the salads would add something. The other drawback we found is these offers that the hotel are giving. Yes, they are great and it is the reason we decided to go to Loch Melford but the free food on the first night or food up to £20 for your first meal or whatever the offer is that you have been given should be scrapped. If you have an offer you will have your meal in the Bistro area of the hotel which is much different to the main hotel restaurant. It is a bit like eating in your local garden centre cafe crossed with a pub! You have a different menu to anyone else visiting from the local area and (although the staff treated you well) it makes you feel like your in the cheap seats when in fact had we been given options we would quite happily have eaten in the main restaurant if we have been offered a percentage of say 10% off or something. Maybe this is something they should think of as I would not have purchased the offer with the food option if I had know the set up. If not maybe they should just scrap the food from their offers. We ate in Oban on the second evening because this first night food offer gave us basic foods that were nice but not super so we went elsewhere. Put off by the first restricted menu! There is much here that I feel takes away the edge for this hotel ..........would I visit again.........YES I would! This is still a lovely hotel.......made special by the position it is in and the staff within it. I do think that they should try to address some of these issues that would really give it that finish but we relaxed, walked, clambered on rocks, explored the area and I really do wish them every success when they do find that edge.

1  Thank ruthohare
GlasgowHugh, Owner at Loch Melfort Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 May 2014

Many thanks for your very comprehensive review. We are always impressed by the amount of detail some people put into their reviews and thank you for your time and effort. We will be installing wifi into the remainder of our bedrooms this summer, so we have full coverage, however city dwellers will need to appreciate that our countryside 1mb of broadband will not support many users, and until BT choose to upgrade our area we will remain with slow coverage.
We do hope you come back and visit us again soon

Reviewed 25 April 2014

Me and my husband stayed here for a night the start of April which we'd booked through an itison deal. We were given a room in the cedar wing which had its own private balcony and beautiful views. The shower was horrendous, the worst shower I have ever used, it was merely a trickle. That really needs to be looked at. Dinner, I was told, would be in the bistro which was part of the special offer but on checking back the paperwork on our return we should actually have been given dinner in the main restaurant. However, the food was lovely with the only complaint being the mussels had far too much onion in them which overpowered the dish. The lounge bar area is very comfortable but the drinks are very over priced with 3 vodkas and a pint totalling £24! Needless to say we didn't have much to drink! Overall it was a nice, comfortable hotel and very relaxing for what we were needing.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple

Many thanks for your review and we are glad you found your stay so relaxing. All our offers which include a meal offer a Bistro special menu and as such are served in the Bistro once the season begins in April and only in the main restaurant before this. Sorry if you found this confusing in your paperwork.

We look forward to welcoming you back here again soon.

Rachel

Reviewed 25 April 2014

A wonderful location on the shores of a stunning sea loch makes this an ideal getaway hotel . We had 2 nights there in the run up to Easter and enjoyed it immensely . Staff were very friendly , courteous and efficent and the owners too were very hospitable . Food in the restuarant was excellent including a super cooked breakfast and as coeliacs we were well supplied with gluten free options . Rooms are comforatable , modestly decorated but clean and the views over the sea are spectacular . Phone reception is poor / non existent but there is Wi-Fi . Definitely one to go back to .

Room Tip: Pick a room with a sea view
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple

Many thanks for writing a review and we are so glad that you enjoyed your stay. We do hope we have the pleasure of looking after you here again in the future.

Reviewed 22 April 2014

Have just returned after a lovely 3 night stay at this hotel. When we arrived we were welcomed by the receptionist, who then showed us to our room. The room was a good size, with a lovely view, but was on the ground floor. I found this lacked the privacy I wanted, as other guests could walk in front of the large patio window, so I personally did not feel relaxed at all. However the following morning I asked if we could possibly move room, which was no problem, and the staff even moved our cases to the new room whilst we were out so as not to spoil our day. The second room was upstairs and also had a lovely view (better than the ground floor room) over the loch, which was a perfect sight to wake up to each morning.
The staff were excellent, and all without exception were cheerful, helpful, and extremely efficient.
We thoroughly enjoyed our stay at this hotel, which is about 18 miles from Oban, where you can get ferries to a number of Islands. We went to Mull with our car and visited Tobermory which was great. The food was very good, and the service excellent.

Room Tip: If you like privacy ask for a room with a balcony not a terrace. If you have a dog you can't hav...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple

Many thanks for writing a review and we are glad you enjoyed your stay. We do have a mix of ground floor and upper floor rooms, you just need to choose when booking. We do hope we can welcome you back here again sometime soon.

Reviewed 22 April 2014

My husband, myself and large golden retriever recently spent two nights here. The first night was an itison DBB deal and I booked a second night so we had a full day to explore the area. Because we had a dog we were limited to the Cedar Wing but that was fine. The first room we were shown to had a very strong smell of smoke - someone had been illegally smoking which must be very annoying for the hotel staff. We were immediately shown to another room which was better for the dog as it was at the end of the block so very quick and easy to take him out for a walk. I would echo comments made by another reviewer about lazy dog owners. My husband felt compelled to clean up some other dog's mess - done right in front of the dining room windows! - because he was worried people would think it was our dog who had done it.

The room was very pleasant with a very comfortable king size bed, tea and coffee making facilities with homemade shortbread and a small table and two chairs to enjoy the stunning views out of the patio windows. There was also a small verandah with a couple of chairs and the weather was warm enough to sit out but we didn't have time.

Our itison deal included the set dinner in the Bistro or £15 towards the a la carte menu in the Bistro or the main dining room. We ate in the Bistro the first night and the young chap who served us was absolutely excellent, moving us to a window table as soon as one became vacant. I had mussels and fish and chips and the portions were so generous there was no room for dessert. The second night we ate in the dining room and I really over indulged myself with Loch Melfort Langoustines and a half Loch Melfort lobster, both freshly caught and absolutely delicious. Again no room for dessert, but I shared my husband's very generous cheese plate. There is a very good choice of wines in the "reasonable" bracket.

The staff were all very good. Pleasant and friendly and very helpful. I am already planning a return trip to the Loch Melfort Hotel later in the year for a photography weekend, as a birthday present for my husband who is a keen photographer.

Reviewed 8 April 2014

Loch Melfort Hotel

We went on a Groupon Deal to this beautiful hotel. We were in an upper chalet style room in the Cedar wing with a private balcony. On entering the room the view of the Loch and islands and distant hills, was stunning, from the wall-to-wall windows. The hotel is a very short walk to the waters edge. The room and toilet was very clean.

If you get room 23, do not flush at night, as it is noisy. Unfortunately, the shower was dreadful with very little water. I struggled to rinse off the soap and shampoo. On reporting this to the reception on the first day, we were informed that someone would look at it. I do not believe anyone did as the second day it was even worse. I got up an hour earlier hoping to beat the rush and let the shower run as requested but I could have had an extra hour in bed.

We went exploring and found a very comfortable lounge again with the wonderful view across Loch Melfort. It was very pleasant just to sit and look out at the changing light whilst having a drink. A pint of Stella and a G & T £10.50. The grounds are very pleasant. The hotel has provision for dogs and had thoughtfully provided a dog dirt bin. It is unfortunate some owners are lax. We were taking pictures in the grounds at a decorative rowing boat next our accommodation and got dog dirt stuck to our feet, be warned the grass is covered in it. The dog dirt bin was right there in full view. Lazy people.

We decided to dine in the hotel on the first night and were requested to be in the lounge half and hour before our allotted time to peruse the menu. We had a dinner voucher for £20 per person through our Groupon deal. We were told it was £15. I asked them to check and they verified the correct amount. We were informed that there were so many deals on they can get mixed up. I had not eaten all day so was really looking forward to my meal. We chose for starters Leek and potato soup, and scallops with cauliflower cream, artichoke hearts and truffle, the flavours were wonderful. Mains consisted of steak and lamb, the steak was very good with chips and salad. The lamb was conspicuous by its absence. It was a very small chop, which had to be chewed and chewed. My husband being a butcher to trade can verify the cut. The vegetables were having the night off. I was not aware I had to order sides of vegetables as with the plate costing over £22, I would have expected to have a satisfying meal. We declined desert, as I had not had much luck so far, so I did not want to take the chance. I went down to the car after midnight in my nightwear looking for something to eat, as I was very hungry. Such a pity. The dinning room was beautiful again with the magnificent view and the staff very attentive. I do not understand why certain staff have to speak to you so loudly that everyone in the room hears everything they say to you. I would expect more discretion. Breakfast is continental, but a full breakfast can be ordered. All of the food we had tasted wonderful, but I feel customers should be advised to order side dishes as the plated portions on certain dishes are not adequate.

There is no wifi in the room only in public areas. I know many may not require this and want to get away but in this day and age, it is a part of life.

The television is mounted on the wall and I believe there are quite a few channels. There is an electric radio clock, bedside lamps, dressing table lamp, overhead light, plenty of wardrobe and drawer space. I cannot verify how good the hairdryer supplied is as I take my own. Toiletries are supplied and plenty of towels. There were a couple of pretty leather chairs in the room. I would suggest something be done to help keep the cushions in place as they slide off the chairs.

I cannot emphasis how clean our room and all areas we frequented were, in this beautiful hotel.

Roast Islay Scallops Confit Artichokes
Truffle Sauce Vierge Crispy Crackling
Char grilled Cutlet of Argyll Lamb Confit Shoulder
Fondant Potato Pea Purée Roast Shallots

Room Tip: All of the Cedar rooms have a wonderful view. I don't know about the rooms in the main house. If...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple

Many thanks for your very comprehensive review and for the time and effort you put into writing it. We are glad you enjoyed your stay and hope we can welcome you back here again soon.

Reviewed 7 April 2014

I've visited this hotel on numerous occasions over the last twenty years or so with work colleagues, family and solo and have always found two compelling reasons to return: the outstanding sea views across Asknish Bay to the islands and the quality of the food, especially the local seafood. True, the rooms in the lodge-style Cedar Wing were beginning to look dated and shabby and the views were sometimes partially obscured by misted double glazing units, but I was happy to put up with this for the sake of the location, the food and the welcome. The present owners have now refurbished the rooms and on my most recent two-night stay I was more than happy with the result. My first floor room was light, spacious and came with a very comfortable king-size bed. I found the room temperature in early April to be fine, but a supplementary electric heater is provided for those who might be feeling the cold. On my first night I chose dinner from the four-course table d'hote menu and on the second from the limited off-season bistro menu. As usual the quality of the food was spot-on and the service was efficient and friendly. The bistro menu's very generous portions took me by surprise after the more modest ones from the table d'hote menu, but I manned up and got stuck in. A full cooked breakfast was included in the price. An ample continental buffet is provided and hot items are cooked to order. Breakfast service doesn't start until 8 am which may be a little late for some guests on business or those heading to Oban for an early ferry. This has always been one of my favourite Scottish hotels, but the recent improvements to the rooms have made it even more inviting. I'll be back soon.

Room Tip: Rooms on the upper floor of the Cedar Wing are more private: guests often stroll on the grass in fro...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
GlasgowHugh, Owner at Loch Melfort Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 16 April 2014

Many thanks for writing a review and it is always lovely to welcome back previous guests who haven't stayed for a while and can see the improvements that we have made over the last 5 years. We do hope you will be able to come back again soon.
Rachel and Calum

Also consider these accommodations in or near Arduaine
Stonefield Castle Hotel
Manor House Hotel
Manor House Hotel
#1 of 13 in Oban
Best Western Muthu Queens Oban Hotel

Been to Loch Melfort Hotel? Share your experiences!