“How rude? Not at all...”
Review of Wright and Proper

Wright and Proper
Ranked #5 of 6 Restaurants in Winkleigh
Cuisines: British
Reviewed 4 December 2013

I can't think of a nicer place to be, the owners were most entertaining. As for bickering, they seemed to delight in cheeky banter with everyone, but mostly themselves! Perhaps sarcasm and wit is lost on some. The service was second to none, with a full range of coffees available one normally only finds in much more provincial centres. The ciabatta was my favourite, and the cake variety meant getting a variety and sharing them... Perhaps it's the Cornishness of the owners that's at fault. I and all my tribe had a lovely time with them and would love to come back again and again.

2  Thank Phil D

Reviewed 3 November 2013

I can't agree more with the last reviewer. Not exactly a warm welcome and the two gentlemen who I presume were the owners seemed to spend most of their time bickering with each other. Winkleigh is a lovely village and deserves much better than this!

Reviewed 25 October 2013

Very rude owners and poor service. I'm surprised they are still in business. The whole of the time we were there they spent their time arguing with each other.

Reviewed 15 August 2013

This place opened originally in about May 2012 and ran out of steam by Christmas of the same year. It then lay fallow for the next six months. However Wright and Proper has now been taken over by new people who have a great deal of experience in running a food outlet. There is no connection to the previous tenants! They have a proper coffee machine, so it is now possible to have latte, cappuccino or espresso, with all the variations. Food is simple, freshly prepared and reasonably priced - perhaps a little less fine cuisine but straightforward good food. Filled Ciabattas, salads, platters and light meals. Also yummy cakes and puds.
I just hope that there is sufficient business for them in this charming but out of the way village.

Reviewed 13 April 2013

We live in Exeter and decided to have a ride out to Winkleigh one weekend. We stumbled across this cafe and thought we would try it. First impressions were good but things quickly went downhill. We were greeted by the owner as if we were a nuisance, which was swiftly followed by coffee that I wouldn't even drink at home. We also suspect there was an infestation of mice as where we were sat there were droppings around on the floor. Quite frankly we were appalled and I for one am pleased to see that the business has since folded, which is no great surprise. Hopefully someone competent and understanding of the local market takes over and shows the old tenants how well a small business such as this can do in such a beautiful village.