“A great week in the Cairngorms”
Review of Fraoch Lodge

Fraoch Lodge
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 8 January 2013

We travelled from Dublin the night before and had been on the road about 15 hours when we arrived into Boat of Garten and Fraoch Lodge. I was pretty tired and ready for a lie down but we were treated to a grand cup of tea and a bit of cake by the fire prior to being shown our room. The room was exactly as anticipated clean, warm and basic enough, however it had the added bonus of a sink. I sank happily onto my comfortable bed and drifted off. Later that night we congregated in the cosy sitting room in preparation for dinner. At this stage the majority of guests had arrived and most were taking part in the Winter Skills course offered by Andy (joint proprietor with Rebecca). Dinner was tasty and filling, exactly what was needed and this was to be the case each evening. The next morning we arose to a wonderful breakfast of porridge and a good cooked meal (of whatever we requested). We were then directed to the small kitchen where there was an array of food for us to make our own packed lunch. I should add, Rebecca makes all the jams, marmalades etc and they were all very good. The others trooped off to the mountains and my daughter and I went off to make our own fun. The week was to run in a similar vein throughout. Each afternoon - delicious cake and tea by the fire, good companionship and a hearty dinner. I was particularly delighted at something Rebecca organised for my partner on his birthday - she managed to make it an occasion and I really appreciated that.

If you are looking for high luxury with Egyptian Cotton and 800 thread count then no, this is not the place for you. If you enjoy being in the outdoors, in a beautiful setting, where you can stay in a home that offers good hearthy grub, a warm and comfortable surround, cake o' clock and good craic than I would highly reccommend Fraoch Lodge to you.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with family
Rebsf1, Owner at Fraoch Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 1 February 2013

Thank you very much. I'm so glad you mentioned the food I do try to accommodate as many people as I can when I plan the menu.

Reviewed 4 December 2012

I thoroughly enjoyed staying here for the night last weekend. Rebekka and Andy are truely passionate about what they do and offer great hospitality and delicious home cooked food to their customers! The facilities were very clean and the lounge was very cosy with the woodburn stove, library and comfy sofas.
My single room was fine. The room was very warm when I arrived (underfloor heating) but I just openend the window to get some fresh air in (it was freezing outside). Having my own wash basin was ideal. The bed was a bit short to my liking (I'm about 5'9") but the mattress was good, even better than some posh B & B or hotels have. I would definitely recommend this place to my outdoorsy friends and hope to come back some time.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with friends

Thank you for taking the time to review our house. We hope that you'll be back before the ski season is over though the whole club has been booked in for 2014.

Reviewed 3 December 2012

The ideal blend between a hostel and a bed and breakfast, I found the place very homely and our hosts very welcoming, friendly and accommodating (for example, putting a good breakfast together, including homemade, toasted bread, at 7am). Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with friends
Rebsf1, Owner at Fraoch Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 22 February 2013

So kind of you to take the time to post a review for us. Sun, snow and blue skies at the moment. Perhaps the time for a return visit?

Reviewed 3 December 2012

I stayed here in Dec 2012 and enjoyed a fantastic skiing weekend at the Cairngorms. Our twin bedded room was lovely and cosy with its own sink. We shared a shower room with another twin bedded room. The lounge was really comfortable, with an open fire and the shared dining room was also cosy with a wood burning stove. Rebecca, Andy and little Gregor made us very welcome and we enjoyed Rebecca's excellent cooking throughout the weekend. It was great to get Andy's advice on where to ski, and he gave us up to the minute weather forecasts. A great place to stay for an outdoorsy weekend, more like a B&B than a hostel.

Room Tip: Go for the twin bedded room upstairs. it's cosy with a good view of the distant mountains.
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled with friends

Hope you'll be back yourself in 2014 when your club has made a booking. I'd better think about a menu just in case; perhaps strawberry ice cream cake will be popular?

Reviewed 6 November 2012

I stayed here for 2 nights, with a group of 9 other cyclists. We were the only people staying at that time, so we had the house to ourselves. I stayed in the main house, in the triple room upstairs, which had use of a shower room shared with the double room across the corridor.
The bedrooms and shower rooms were warm, clean and comfortable.
Andy, who also arranges a variety of mountain/ walking tours, was a great host and a very interesting guy, who enjoys chatting with guests. Rebecca is in charge of the catering. We opted for evening meals and breakfast, which were good. A great place to stay with a large group of friends. Great value for money.

Room Tip: Choose a room in the main house.
Reviewed 6 October 2012

would reccomend a stay here very friendly and helpful owners, I spent 3 nights recently as part of a cycling group, we were made to feel very welcome, lovely warm comfortable rooms and delicious food, Andy the owner was a great host, the Froach Lodge is excellent value for money will definately make a return visit

Reviewed 29 September 2012

Went with our cycling group for 3 days and had a wonderful time.Andy and Rebecca were so welcoming and friendly and joined in with all the fun we had planned for our evenings. Even their lovely wee lad Gregor joined in. The rooms were clean, warm and cosy and the beds very comfortable. As for the food...wow!! Lots of choice, the best sticky toffee pudding ever...and everything was so fresh and locally sourced. Breakfast of porridge and home made bread and jams and marmalades set us up for some fabulous cycling. What a lovely find...and I have stayed in my many outdoor centres in this area, but this gets my top vote!!!!!!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Boat of Garten
#5 of 8 in Carrbridge
Eriskay
Eriskay
#13 of 28 in Aviemore

Been to Fraoch Lodge? Share your experiences!