“Disappointing”

The Boat House
Temple, Texas
“Disappointing”
Reviewed 30 July 2014

Bedroom and bathroom sizes were about average for places of this sort. Bathroom sink plumbing was outdated, and the hot water faucet side leaked. Shower head had to be hand-held continuously in order to control its direction. This was because of a rusted set screw that needed replacing. Hot water was plentiful. No hair drier. When water was in use in adjacent rooms the pipes made a loud humming noise audible even with ear plugs in place. A fan of some sort was needed to help cool the room, even if the window was opened. Breakfast was good.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Delbert F
theboathouse, Owner at The Boat House, responded to this review, 27 December 2014

firstly as I have stated on another response my staff has changed....I can assure you that the shower and tap was fixed the day you left as I recall you informed me abut them in the morning you departed....as is the airlock causing noise in pipes

I also note you couldn't find the hair dryer this is kept in a draw in every room

as regards to it being warm in your room and needing a fan...you were unfortunate to stay during the hottest weather we had for over 5 years 30c is not normal for the highlands in summer 20-25c is considered a hot day although had you of asked I ma well of been able to find a fan for you..

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Strathcarron, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 July 2014

I stayed at the Boat House in Boat of Garten for just one night last week while working in the area. I was not impressed at all. My work booked me into the place for 2 nights, and i decided to leave after just one (no refund offered).

Im not normaly one to come on trip advisor and give a poor review, but this place was really disapointing.

As soon as i knocked the door i was greeted by a very very friendly dog who immediately put his nose into my crotch, without a word from the eastern european girl who then gave me my room key & directed me through the living area to my room.

The Living area itself was quite dingy and smelly. It has several large fish tanks in it & it has that fish tank smell around the place. I still dont know if this was a communal area or a private area for the hosts.

I was then directed to my room, and my face must have told the story, a TV from the 1980's and around one foot space either side of the bed.... Cramped isnt quite the word for it. I said to the girl who showed me to the room that i would only require to be here for 1 night (as i couldnt face 2nights here) and she said that my room had already been paid for by my company and she wouldnt refund it. The result of this my work will dock the evening i didn't stay from my wages, and to be honest it was worth taking the hit not to stay here for a second night.

The shared bathroom had a decent shower, but toilets with carpets always give me the creeps. Its fair to say i skipped breakfast so cannot comment, i skipped it due to me starting work at 7.30am and no breakfast being offered before that time.

I wont be back im afraid.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
thanks for the review

firstly the member of staff you are referring to was greek not from eastern Europe...secondly is no longer here ...

there is a friendly dog here ,she is not normally at the door to greet guests however my staff at the time had left the door to reception open ...

there are some fish tanks in the house including the guest lounge ...most people find them relaxing ...and im unsure if water smells...

when I saw you in the evening I asked what time you were wanting breakfast and you didn't want any as you were leaving early I also offered an earlier breakfast as I do for many guests ....some have had breakfast as early as 5.30 am before...

your company had paid for both nights stay....however we did not know you weren't staying until the following evening when you never returned...
Scotland
Reviewed 9 January 2014

Very good accommodation and value for money. Friendly, welcoming owner and staff – well done for our delicious breakfast on New Year’s morning following a "festive" Scottish Hogmany! We joined friends for New Year celebrations in Boat of Garten and would stay at the ‘Boat House’ again.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Kerr1945
Edinburgh
Reviewed 4 January 2014

A last minute booking made after seeing the weather forecast was good enough to drive up from Penicuik to Cairngorm to ski. We arrived late (no problem at all for the owner) and received a friendly welcome from the owner and his dog, Poppy. Room basic but warm and good tea and coffee facilities allowed us to fill a flask of chocolate for our ski trip. Bath and shower was a bonus. Breakfast was hearty and freshly cooked to order at the time of our choosing (helpful when wanting an early start to get on the slopes asap). Would stay again as good value and friendly.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank HillwalkerEdinburgh
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 October 2013

Having had a brilliant time staying at this hotel during a ski-ing weekend break in Aviemore last season, I have always intended going back. In the interim, knowing their high standards I booked a 2 night break through social living for my parents as a special treat. They have just returned and a really fantastic time. They had a huge gorgeous room and thoroughly enjoyed their meals both nights in the restaurant. The icing on the cake was the helpfulness and professionalism of the staff who all ensured they had an amazing customer experience.

Unfortunately my parent's printer had developed a fault and I was on a weekend break in Warsaw so couldn't fix it, they had to turn up at the hotel without a printed copy of their voucher and they were a bit worried about this. The Reception Manager on their arrival was fantastic and extremely understanding and I was able to forward the voucher on my return. Outstanding as my parents are in their early 70's and though sprightly, if they had been made to feel awkward about the voucher it would have ruined their trip - THANK YOU for your understanding and outstanding customer service. Strongly recommend this hotel and now looking even more forward to my return visit.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Lorraine2202
Scotland, UK
Reviewed 14 October 2013 via mobile

Came up for Aviemore half marathon and stayed here with wife and 2 girls for second year running. Harry (owner) and Poppy the dog very nice and great breakfast. Very convenient for Aviemore and many local attractions. Room clean and comfortable and wifi so important for girls!
Will stay again next year if able to run again!

Stayed October 2013
1 Thank PathheadHibby
Dundee, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 October 2013

This was my last night's accommodation on my walk over the Speyside Way. I had been so pleased with all my choices & this was no exception. Clean room, great shower & a smashing breakfast as well.- I was most comfortable - also good wifi. Add to this, a quiet location & a great night's sleep & you get a very happy woman! Good value too as a single traveller occupying a double ensuite room - I would happily stay here again if in the area. Oh, and eating out at Anderson's Restaurant in the village is a must as well - wonderful food! Thank you, Harry (and Poppy the dog) for an enjoyable stay.

Room Tip: Room 2 has a four-poster bed - very comfy!