“Decidedly Average”

The Boat Hotel Bistro
Price range: US$11 - US$30
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Description: Boat Bistro & Bar. There are few places in the Cairngorm National park where food, wine and location come together as beautifully as The Boat Bistro, we showcase rustic and seasonal fare and re-imagined classics, featuring vegetables, fruits and herbs grown locally combined with produce sourced from the British Isles. Poached, squeezed, pressed, steamed, grilled, wilted, roasted, battered and seared. Our utterly delicious food, from first thing in the morning to last thing at night, will melt on your tongue and always leave you wanting more. Our menus comprise contemporary interpretations of classic British dishes. Our Lunch and Dinner menus also feature daily Best of British specials. It almost goes without saying that we use fresh, local, seasonal produce as the norm.Breakfast offers you a range of cold dishes and freshly baked pastries from the larder. As well as a fully cooked Scottish breakfast, you can order anything from delicate smoked Scottish Haddock to meltingly beautiful Eggs Florentine. If there’s anything else you’d like to eat, just ask. We’re not too posh or proud to make boiled egg and soldier. The Osprey Bar is warm and welcoming, the perfect place to meet, the bar is full of quiet corners. Tuck yourself away with a paper. Enjoy a quiet romantic moment. The Boat Bistro & Bar, you'll find:Best of British specials every day.Breakfast, lunch and dinner, contemporary interpretations of traditional dishes using fresh local produce. Extensive malt whisky selection. Early Bird Dining. We welcome everyone to experience the Bistro & Bar, including guests not staying at the hotel.
Reviewed 28 July 2013

My wife and I joined friends who were staying in the hotel for dinner and were unimpressed by the standard of service and the quality and presentation of the food. The speed of service was poor, our wine wasn't chilled, the three tiny scallops (£10.95) as a starter did not represent good value for money. The side order of chips consisting of just 6 'hand cut' chips (yes just 6) (£3.95) were overcooked. On the plus side the fillet steak was delicious. If you are going to present small quantities of food in a nouvelle cuisine style the quality and flavour has to be outstanding to be worth the money. Instead it was uninspiring and I won't be going back. The other restaurant in the village (only 500 yds up the hill) is outstanding. Save your money and go there!

1  Thank JanetfromHelensburgh
There are newer reviews for The Boat Hotel Bistro

Reviewed 26 July 2013

Excellent food, wonderful flavours, great value wine off the house list, well presented by efficient friendly staff,

Reviewed 22 July 2013 via mobile

I owe tripadvisor a lot. As it was only because I found this restaurant in the reviews, that I realised there was a whole day to fit around it! Taking the Strathspay steam railway from Aviemore, we went up the line and took in the scenary, to be dropped off at boat of garten, just at 11.50am on Sunday!

We had the Sunday lunch at 12.95 for two course and these days for this price in a tourist area, your expections are automatically lowered.. But they should not have been, because we had a lovely lunch, with really guenuinely warm service and it made for the perfect experience for my wide and I and 13 and 10 year old.

This not 5 star in food quality, but it is 5 star in the total experience. Do it and if you combine the train that stops at the doorstep of the Boat, you will leave as satisfied as us!

Reviewed 16 July 2013

I dined at the Boat Hotel Bistro principally because I was staying in the hotel overnight whilst touring the Scottish Highlands, but on the basis of one experience it's somewhere I would be happy to revisit and to take friends. The food was very good, with a pleasing use of local ingredients, the decor pleasantly traditional, and the staff friendly and attentive. As a solo diner I felt perfectly comfortable, and from watching the people around me the Bistro appears to appeal both to casual diners and those with a special occasion to celebrate.

Reviewed 1 July 2013

Had a great meal here. The risotto and chicken were fantastic and the desserts were second to none with the amazing flavours in the banana explosion and the peanut caramel cheesecake. The service could have been better but the food certainly made up for it.