The Boat Hotel
US$152
US$174
US$169
1,405 results
All reviewsgarden roomsteam railwayroll top bathtwo night staybottle of proseccoboth nightslovely hotelpatio doorsstrathspey railwayloch gartenfour poster bedboth morningsa bit tiredopen firerelaxing breakenjoyable stayfull scottish breakfast
Reviewed 23 February 2014

Another warm and friendly welcome by your staff.Our room again was lovely and very clean.
Dinning room had a lovely cosy atmosphere and the scallops were simply delicious.
we look forward to staying with you again so keep our favourite malt (Mcallans)stocked up, cheers

• Stayed: February 2014
Boat Hotel M, Front Office Manager at The Boat Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 February 2014

Dear Guest,

Great to hear you both had an enjoyable stay with us once again and thank you for your fantastic 5 star review.

We will of course have the McAllans stocked up for your return!

Reviewed 21 February 2014

We booked 2 rooms for 2 nights, one garden terrace accommodating 2 adults (although it was just me and 2 kids) and one classic room for one adult (my mother), one baby. The garden terrace room was great, double doors out to a little patio, big comfy bed and two folding foam beds for the kids, tv on the wall out of reach and lovely shortbread, hot chocolate, tea and coffee. The classic room in the older part of the hotel was a small but functional double with just enough room for a cot, but the shower was not working properly. Really the larger deluxe room could have accommodated 2 adults 2 kids and the baby cot with more ease than the classic room did and I hope the hotel could maybe accommodate a family of 5 in this room? Very few hotels accommodate families of 5 in one room even with young children. Our evening meal was lovely, local and tasty, and whilst some dishes were sold out, specials had been laid on to compensate and I was happily surprised that the kids ate for free. Get the merlot! Breakfast was good, although I was surprised it didn't start earlier to accommodate those going skiing who want to beat the queues, maybe room service was earlier! Free wifi only worked downstairs in the reception and bar areas and there was no phone reception, there is a payphone by the bar and I understand that it is just the area, not something the hotel can do anything about but I do think they can extend the wifi, no? So do your planning/research before you go. The staff were very friendly and helpful, they couldn't do enough for you and really care about your experience with them. Right beside the strathspey railway station the hotel is a gem and I would recommend a stay there in the deluxe rooms with a patio. I may go back just to try the white hot chocolate.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your recent review on TripAdvisor and for sharing your comments with other travellers. I am delighted to read that you had an enjoyable stay with us and would recommend our Deluxe Garden Guestrooms.

We do have a Deluxe Junior Suite, which is of similar standard/decor, which can accommodate a family of 5, you may wish to have a look at this next time you are visiting. Unfortunately it doesn't have the garden terrace, but can accommodate you all easily with enough space.

We are looking into our WIFI, which should work through-out the hotel, but unfortunately there was an issue and an engineer is looking into. I can understand that in modern times it is one of the necessities when travelling in a hotel. In regards to the telephone signal, it is not very strong in the whole area, but we will always point our guests in the right direction to get the best signal possible.

Look forward to welcoming you and your family back in the near future.

Reviewed 20 February 2014

As I was denied the opportunity to stay at this hotel I cannot comment on its standards. However after purchasing a travelzoo voucher in november for a 2 night stay I decided to book the 16th & 17th february for myself and my husband. The Hotel phoned me on the 13th to find out if I wanted to book dinner throughout my stay and I explained that I was not feeling 100% and would therefore prefer not to make a reservation still hoping to be well enough to travel. By the 15th it was apparent that I was very unwell and therefore contacted the hotel to make them aware that i would like to change the dates of my stay. The person by the name of Diane who had called me on the thursday regarding dinner reservations took the call on the saturday morning and showed no sympathy whatsoever and told me according to the terms and conditions it would not be possible to rearrange our stay and therefore I through sudden unforeseen illness lost out. To summarise I paid £100 to Travelzoo in November, I booked the Hotel in February giving them the voucher no. which allowed them to claim £100 from Travelzoo…they both win…I loose.
However as a footnote who is the real looser?
My son and family have recently moved to Aviemore and my husband and myself plus other members of our family have been on the lookout for nearby accommodation in order to make regular visits, sadly we were never given the opportunity to make The Boat House our home from home. Very short sighted, appalling business decision to allow local competition to pick up such easy business.

Room Tip: never stayed so can't say
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank robbo495

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your recent post on Trip Advisor and for sharing your thoughts on one of our voucher bookings. Unfortunately with being a small family run business we do have to put terms and conditions in place for guests who are unable to stay with us.

The terms and conditions of the Travelzoo voucher's is that you have a 7 day modification period, this allows you to modify your booking 7 days prior to arrival, this was noted on your voucher and also the confirmation that was sent to you from the hotel reservations team. We can understand that on this occasion you were unwell, and we would offer you to change the name on the booking as a goodwill gesture if any other family/friends were able to come and use the voucher in your place. Some holiday insurance companies will also cover illness, should you have one, I would recommend speaking to them.

I am sorry to hear about your experience, but hope you can understand that we do have to have these terms and conditions in place.

Reviewed 17 February 2014

Stayed at the boat hotel for 1 night while skiing in the Cairngorms. To be fair, I booked at quite short notice on a busy weekend but it was pricey for what we got. The staff were lovely and very helpful but the room was very small, the shower pretty weak and the walls very very thin which made things noisy. I was disappointed by breakfast, when I order pancakes with maple syrup I don't expect to get very crispy crepes! The rest of the breakfast was nice and plenty of it, although they weren't all ready for 8am when breakfast started, which is a bit annoying when trying to beat the queues up to the mountain to ski. They have a lovely bar with a log fire and a friendly barman but for what I paid I was a bit disappointed with the quality

• Stayed: February 2014
1  Thank Tcapper

Dear Guest,

Sorry to hear that your were 'a little bit disappointed' with your stay. We do value your feedback and will certainly take your comments on board. We do offer early breakfast's on request during the ski-season, please let our Front Desk staff know for next time and we can organise something a little earlier for you to allow you to get up the hill in plenty time.

We are currently undergoing major refurbishment at the hotel, so hope you will come back and see us again and give us another try.

Kindest regards,

Reviewed 17 February 2014

Me and my husband stayed here for two nights in an Estate Room (upgraded due to previous reviews regarding classic rooms). When we arrived we were greeted warmly but we got slightly lost trying to find our room, it is a bit of a maze! Along the way there were floorboards that weren't straight and it was slightly lop-sided! When we entered our room it was lovely and clean although the fixture and fittings were dated it was acceptable. The bed was very creaky and made such a noise on the slightest of moves and you just sunk a little too much into the mattress. We also on the second morning didn't have any hot water and this seems to be happening with a lot of guests, not really acceptable not to receive the most basic of services. As we bought a deal our food was included in our stay but on the second night it seemed that our hostess didn't fully understand and we were charged for this and she said that it would be taken off the final bill at reception but it wasn't. I checked before our stay that we would receive free wi-fi, this was only possible when you sat down at reception as there was no connection up in our bedroom, very disappointing after a long journey. On our voucher deal we were supposed to recieve bath bombs, a dram of whiskey and scottish tablet but we didn't receive any of these items. The food was excellent and would only really come back for that reason. The hotel really need to spend money on new beds and decor as for the price you have to pay it is not worth it.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your recent review on TripAdvisor. We appreciate you taking the time to write about your time with us at the Boat Hotel. We are currently undergoing major refurbishment in our guest rooms and do hope that when you decide to come back to enjoy our great food you will give our accommodation another try too.