“It still delivers”

The Boat Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Boat of Garten
“It still delivers”
Reviewed 4 November 2008

This was our 1st Wedding Anniversary returning to the Boat Hotel where we got engaged on February 4th 2006. We only stayed one night but it was still very memorable for us.

Our only comment was the service was not so good. Young, foreign, inexperienced waiting staff did not help, epsecially in the dining room at night. On our first visit we were very well attended and it felt a lot more professional. The food however remains first class.

Our rooms was good, we had a four poster bed and a roll top bath in the bathroom, dressing gowns and nice toiletries. Breakfast in the morning was again very nice and this time served in the Bistro.

We will return to the Boat as it hold special memories for us. I just hope the management continue to improve the service as it is such a nice hotel in the most lovely location.

Stayed December 2007
1 Thank LindaEdinburgh

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (339)
Reviewed 15 October 2008

Stayed for a Thursday night in late September with clients after a round of golf at Boat. All in all - unbeatable value and exceptionally enjoyable.

Staff treated us superbly - particularly the front receptionist.

A first class meal in the main restaurant with excellent wines at a very reasonable price. Drinks in the bar before and after were aided by the lovely choice of real ale and wide selection of whisky.

Full breakfast was a final treat before heading back down the A9.

Only complaint was the wine waiter appeared to lose interest in us towards the end of the meal.

• Liked — Food.
  • Disliked — The wine waiter.
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled on business
2 Thank Donald Duaghal M
Reviewed 3 October 2008

Having decided on a last minute break, we decided to visit the Boat Hotel for the first 3 days of October. The weather was pretty miserable but this was made up for by the lovely warm welcome we received on arrival and an immediate room upgrade to a superior room. The room was small but lovely & fresh & clean and with a recently refurbished bath & shower room. Our first meal was in the bistro as the main restaurant was fully booked and enjoyed a very tasty & interesting menu (I'm a vegetarian, my husband a meat eater!). The next evening we ate in the Capercaillie Restaurant, and had a sensational meal, my vegetarian option was absolutely fantastic, my husband was blown away by the quality & presentation of his pork. Throughout our stay all of the staff we encountered could not have been more friendly or helpful. Would definately recommend this hotel and would stay again!

• Liked — Food & staff
  • Disliked — weather!
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Widnes, England
Reviewed 26 September 2008

A very warm & friendly hotel. As soon as we arrived we had a very warm welcome and an upgrade! The hotel staff were very friendly and could not do enough for us. Breakfast and Evening Meal provided a very good choice and excellent quality.

Location was in a little oasis and was perfect for exploring.

Only negative point would be that some of the decor in the public areas is dark and dated.

• Liked — The service
  • Disliked — Some dated decor
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 September 2008

Without Dianne we would have been without Sky TV to watch the Ryder Cup! She did an outstanding job in sorting us out for our golfing weekend to ensure we did not miss a moment of the golf - thanks.
The Hotel accom was as we expected and the breakfasts are great. All staff were friendly and attentive. Would certainly recommend this hotel for a golfing venue.

Stayed September 2008
Edinburgh, UK
Reviewed 5 September 2008

My husband and I stayed here with our 9 month old son last night. I must first point out that our room was gorgeous - it was in the Garden Wing which had clearly been renovated or recently added to the hotel. The decor was very modern with a nice wooden deck overlooking the steam railway and the forest, the bathroom was lovely and the room was kitted out with a wall mounted LCD television. This being said our overall impression of the hotel is quite poor due to the very poor quality of the food which we encountered and several disappointing customer service experiences (housekeeping and breakfast). My husband and I ate separately in the bar/bistro due to the fact that one of us needed to stay with our baby. The service was fine here, but the food was AWFUL and hugely overpriced. My husband at a vegetarian pasta which included penne, 4 slices of pepper and 1 slice of aubergene. I tried the chicken caeser salad and found myself questioning the integrity of the chicken (i.e. is this chicken or not?) and the sauce was truly disgusting. Neither of complained to the staff as we both just wanted to go to sleep but we both went to bed disappointed with the fact that we paid £10 each for highly unsatifactory meals. We both woke up looking forward to the breakfast which was included in the price of our room. We were shown to our seat by a surly young woman who grunted when we requested a highchair for our little boy. Our four toast halves arrived looking like they had seen better days, my coffee was luke warm and weak having already been "plunged" and despite the fact that there was not a single other person in the dining room it took our hostess/waitress 15 minutes to take our order. We both ordered pancakes as we were looking for a change from the wonderful fry-ups we had been having at other hotels during our holiday. They arrived approximately 2 minutes later and had clearly not seen a pancake griddle for some time. My husband and I looked at each other and started laughing as they were presented to us. The 2 teeny-tiny 3-inch diameter pancakes were barely warm and the syrup and cream to accompany them were icy cold. They had definitely come straight from the microwave or toaster oven. I am so thankful we didn't order the fry up as I am terrified what would have shown up! Again, we didn't complain as we wanted to get away as soon as possible.

I would stay in this hotel again if I needed a place to stay in Boat of Garten due to the very high quality of our room but there is no way I would ever consider eating there again.

• Liked — The room.
  • Disliked — The food.
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled with family
durham uk
Reviewed 31 July 2008

We decided to treat ourselves to a nice meal on our last day of holiday and this place seemed popular, however we found the service very poor. We ordered drinks whilst looking at the menu, and they took absolutely ages to arrive, the dining room was hot with no kind of air con or fans, we were seated in an airless corner, so we were quite thirsty. When we ordered our meals (drinks still not here!), the waitress was vague, she was unsure of how anything was cooked, my husband wanted a sauce with his steak and she told him the mushroom and wine sauce was made with cream, he likes rich sauces so went with that, but when it arrived it was just a thick dark red sauce, no evidence of mushroom or cream! As it was so warm I asked for a jug of water, the waiter brought a small caraffe, poured two wine glasses of water and took away the rest, when we drank it it was warm. I wanted to ask for some ice but the staff were elusive so we just drank it. The food was average, my husband had mussels to start with which were good and I had stuffed field mushroom, which was supposed to be served on a garlic crouton and stuffed with black tapenade, it was on a bit of fried bread and tasteless -definately not a hint of garlic! There was a discrepency with our steaks, and when my husband queried it with the waitress, she gave some vague reply and disappeared, we assumed to get the manager but she just didn't come back, we were then treated like 'the invisible man' from thereon. Our dishes were removed by a waiter who didn't ask how the meal was - although we noticed that he asked everyone else in the dining room - and our bill was rushed to us as though they were in a hurry to get us out of there. We obliged but declined to leave a tip. However we did bump into the manager in the main entrance to the hotel, and informed him of the situation, I noticed one of the waiters hovering behind us looking horrified, so their tactic of getting us out of there before we could complain had not worked! He seemed genuinely sorry for what had happened so hopefully he will iron out the staff problems. For us however - we won't be going back. I have never complained in a restaurant before, but the staff attitude was so poor that on this occasion I made an exception.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Boat of Garten
Fairwinds Hotel
#2 of 3 in Carrbridge
Highlands Hotel at Macdonald Aviemore Resort
Tigh na Sgiath Country House Hotel

Been to The Boat Hotel? Share your experiences!