“Good but not perfect”

The Boat Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Boat of Garten
“Good but not perfect”
Reviewed 12 August 2014

Last minute booking to attend a family funeral we arrived late with a very warm welcome from the friendly receptionist.
We stayed in a Garden room in the more modern part of the hotel.
On first appearance the room looked lovely - spacious, huge bed and a good bathroom.
On closer inspection however there were a few things that result in our lowering our rating:
Dustwebs from ceiling to various parts of the bedroom - bedside lamp being one.
Dirty / stained bathroom floor mat and bath sealant coming away from the edges.

The sleep was good and the pillows were very comfy.

Breakfast was overall a bit disappointing.
The breakfast staff were all non-native English speaking which caused a few interpretation issues.
The marmalade jar was empty so I asked for some marmalade. The waiter said there was no marmalade and that it was jelly!!!
I sais - no, orange marmalade please and he said no - only jelly. Eventually I couldn't be bothered arguing so I said - yes get me some orange jelly please....... it was marmalade!

Secondly and more of an issue was the lack of white granulated sugar for breakfast cereal.
I asked for sugar for cereal and the waiter said it was on the table. Only sugar cubes were on the table.
I asked for granulated sugar to which he said that there was brown sugar by the cereals. When I asked for white sugar he said he would ask the kitchen.
He came back saying there was no white granulated sugar. I find that hard to believe - a kitchen that cooks and bakes dishes MUST have granulated white sugar.
I eventually had to sprinkle brown sugar on my cereals - it just tasted wrong so I left my cereals!
On a positive note - the cooked breakfast was perfect - best poached eggs I have had.
So in summary - good but not perfect and a few things the hotel could look at to make it value for money.
If I was asked how much I would have paid for the stay - I would not have paid more than £100. The room with breakfast was £140!!

Room Tip: Garden rooms are good - maybe overpriced but you get patio doors onto a decking terrace and then ont...
1 Thank davenutts

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (355)
Workington, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 August 2014

Myself and family went to The Boat for Afternoon tea as we were staying close byo n holiday and wanted to support local businesses. Unfortunately it was extremely disappointing. There were 3 sandwiches each, an apple tart that had just come out of the fridge, some sponge cake that looked undercooked and had been disguised with icing sugar, and loads of macaroons. My idea and past experience of afternoon tea includes scones with jam and cream and other cream cakes. There was none at all of those here despite there being a 'mock up' set out on the reception area that actually looked quite nice.

When we got the sandwiches etc, we didn't even get a tea plate each or a napkin!!!

I'm afraid the whole experience wasn't a pleasant one. i actually felt sorry for the staff as they seemed run off their feet but thats no excuse for the food being rubbish.

Def would not recommend to anyone.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Anne F
Reviewed 11 August 2014

My partner and I stayed at the Boat Hotel in a deluxe garden room. We booked by phone 3 days earlier and were encouraged to take dinner, bed and breakfast as it was apparently a better deal. This is not the case don't book it. The £40 you pay upfront provides no benefit at all. At dinner we were presented with a bar meal menu & told we could spend the eqivalent of £20 pp as part of our DBB deal. I ordered a burger which was approx £12.95 and my partner picked a Steak at £22.95 i.e under £40. While we were waiting for our food I went to query why there was no 'A La Carte' type 2 course meal option, for our DDB rate and was told there used to be but people had complained so it was stopped. I was also informed that the meal options we had chosen would mean that we were to pay a supplement for the steak as it was more than the £20pp. A total joke. When the food arrived the chips were dark brown & totally overdone and the burger was awful. The steak was tender but tasteless. I refused to pay the DBB rate and agreed to pay the BB rate plus the food and drinks we had. A first glance to room looked nice but there was disappointment there too. The toilet seat was loose, the tile grout mouldy in places and the bedroom curtain was hanging off the rail. There is also no option to ventilate the room without having the patio doors open. Much of the hotel looks very tired and the hallway carpets in places looked like they hadn't been hoovered for days. Our breakfast experience was also negative. The service and the quality of the food disappointing. Overall a very disappointing visit and we won't be back.

2 Thank R D
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 August 2014

We attended the restaurant on Saturday 9th August and arrived around 5:30. We were shown the early bird menu, which offered a deal of a main course and dessert for £12.50. My son and I opted for the fish and chips - when it arrived it was the same portion size as my daughter's kids size fish and chips.

When I queried this with the waiter I was told that the early bird menu is discounted and that's why the portions are smaller! Sorry, just because I arrive early doesn't mean I am less hungry! I then asked him by that rationale, the fish and chips must have cost £4.50 as this was the cost of the kids's meal I would have been as well ordering. Therefore dessert must cost £8.00. He didn't respond and just walked off. Quality was good, but portion size ridiculous - won't be back.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 11 August 2014

We first visited Bogh in 2012 and were impressed by the food and service. 2 years later with different service staff it's as good as I remember it. Excellent, efficient and very friendly service and lovely food. Great setting too and would recommend giving it a go.

Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Falkirk, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 August 2014 via mobile

My husband and I stayed here for the night for our wedding anniversary. From the second we arrived, the staff made us feel very welcome . The food was amazing and not too pricey. Our room was very clean and a HUGE comfy bed. Loved it. We will be back !

Stayed August 2014
1 Thank rockchic91
London
Reviewed 9 August 2014

We stayed here for one night on our way back down form the highlands. The service was terrible, we sat near the bar and heard the barman swear several times. He also made us very uncomfortable as he whispered to other members of staff whilst looking in our direction. The bar manager rushed around at 100 miles an hour and rushed us into giving our order. There was one young Scottish girl who was very attentive and helpful, the rest of the staff were uninterested and unpleasant! The room was small, there was a vent from the kitchen outside our window and the shower was the worse one I have ever come across, no more than a trickle! There was a dog in a room close to use that barked and whined. However, the food was very good, our evening meal and breakfast couldn't be faulted, it a shame it was spoilt by the staff. They have free wifi, but it's so slow and you can only connect by the front door.

2 Thank Honey71
#2 of 9 in Grantown-on-Spey
The Craiglynne Hotel
The Craiglynne Hotel
#7 of 9 in Grantown-on-Spey

Been to The Boat Hotel? Share your experiences!