“Fantastic food!”
Review of The Sun Inn

The Sun Inn
Ranked #2 of 5 Dalkeith B&B and Inns
Reviewed 22 July 2013

Due to The Open, I was struggling to find accommodation having booked a last minute business trip. I read a few reviews on The Sun Inn and was so glad I chose to stay there. I will definitely be returning! The menu has an excellent range of choice, needless to say the food is wonderful, they deserve all the awards they have won. The staff are friendly, knowledgeable and really make you feel at home.

Room Tip: Rooms at the back of the inn will be quieter as it is on a main road.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business

Reviewed 25 June 2013

Stayed 4 nights on business over last weekend. Food terrific, room very comfortable, staff as always friendly and helpful. Full marks are due to all. I believe extension work is due soon-don't lose what is good!

• Stayed: June 2013
Reviewed 10 April 2013

What a find! My husband has stayed here a couple of times previously whilst away on business and has always raved about it. We have been allocated room 5 which is an amazing mini suite with a huge free standing copper bath in the bedroom - a real treat.

We booked a table for dinner last night, the food and service were second to none (even though it was busy all evening)

In summary - great place, great staff and great food - what more could anyone ask for?

Room Tip: Room 5 for a special treat!
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Tim H
Reviewed 18 January 2013

I usually stay in large hotels in the city when I visit Edinburgh, but this time I fancied a change so I looked at smaller 'pub type' places and happened upon The Sun Inn.

The room seemed like a fair price when I booked (£70.00 inc breakfast) and upon arrival I was very pleased with what I had booked. The room size was more that adequate (room 4) with a massive bed, a huge TV and full sky services. This surprised me, I stay in hotels often and freeview has become the norm but to have sky movies/sport etc was very impressive. There was a jar containing very nice biscuits but whilst many would like the cafetiere and ground coffee provided, I can't be bothered with it and would have liked instant coffee sachets. More than anything else I didn't want to open a large new packet of coffee just for one cup. The tea was fine though.

The duvet was a bit thin and I had to put the room heating on to sleep, no big deal but I like a cold room and a warm bed. I slept well enough though in that massive comfortable bed. The shower was powerful and hot, the towels were large and fluffy and the whole bathroom was clean with no complaints at all.

Dinner was extremely nice. I knew when I pulled into the car park that the restaurant would be good as the car park was full but with only 5 rooms they must all have been eating there. I wasn't disappointed, a smallish menu with obviously well thought out meals all looked nice, and the lamb dish I chose didn't disappoint. Breakfast was lovely, scrambled eggs and smoked salmon on toast hit the spot and set me up for the day.

I'd like to mention the service, they have a young team of people who have none of the typical young person attitude towards paying guests. These people were attentive, courteous, professional and polite at all times. From the lad who showed me to my room to the lass who brought my dinner to the table they couldn't have tried harder and I appreciated it. Well done, more than anything the service will bring me back here again.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank Parky62
Reviewed 4 January 2013 via mobile

On arrival was upgraded to the biggest room (no. 5 of 5) over the kitchen of this Gastro Inn, with polished brass bath standing at the end of the 4 post bed. You can watch the huge tv while in the bath! Bedroom did get hot as it is over kitchen, but window opened sorted that. Seperate shower room needed TLC with leaky pipe & uncontrollable temperature of shower .. Beware its very hot.

Food & service was wonderful with good wine list & Pentland IPA on the pull. Breakfast was another great feast.

If they can maintain the place better then it should get 5*.

Tip: phone for off season cheap last minute rooms at bargain prices.

• Stayed: January 2013
2  Thank BlueGuru5000
Reviewed 2 January 2013 via mobile

Stayed here on new years eve in their signature suite, and it was lovely! We went to the concert in the city centre and then caught the free bus back to the hotel which meant that we didn't get to spend as long as we would have liked to here before we had to leave. The bathroom in the suite I'd small but you don't really need anymore space than we had and the super king size bed more than made up for it. My partners eyes lit up when he found the full sports package on the TV too! Breakfast was lovely all cooked to order and we were attended to rather than only self service. The waiter when we arrived too was nice and took both our cases up to the room for us. There were only two slight niggles for us: I wish we had been told that when we came to check out no one would be there (new years day) and the other is to do with Lothian buses (not the sun inn) who took us out to Lothianbridge but provided no service back to city centre; this resulted in a taxi of just under £39... But that is something I'll take up with LB. Directions are easy enough:
Take the 29 bus from North Bridge towards Gorebridge, the next stop after Tesco will be your stop, and yes it does feel like the middle of nowhere! The Road is busy though so you feel quite safe and well lit. Cross the road and walk toward the Chevrons at the bend and follow it round. It is only about a 2 minute walk with cases and you will see the sun inn on the left hand side. Cross back over and walk towards the back of the building for check inn. It's easy when you know!

• Stayed: December 2012
1  Thank pingu87
Reviewed 22 December 2012

We stayed at the Sun Inn as an unscheduled last minute overnight stay due to travel distances in strormy weather. First impressions on a dark rainy night was just another small village bar/hotel... but how wrong we were. Even before arrival, staff were very friendly in directing me to the hotel as Sat Nav not working!! From check-in to check-out, staff were very friendly and helpful. I was just sorry I had eaten beforewe arrived because the restaurant looked lovely and the food smelled great. I thought the rooms above the busy bar would be noisy, but surprisingly, not a cheap was heard!! Excellent! The room was lovely, modern and a very large bed indeed. Well Done. A good nights rest and a hearty breakfast set us up for another travel day ahead. Congratulations and thanks to the Sun Inn. A very pleasant surprise from first impressions and fantastic value. I'd definitely recommend this one..

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Donny C
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dalkeith
Melville Castle
Rathan House - the Guesthouse at Eskbank
The Retreat Castle Rooms
The Retreat Castle Rooms
#1 of 1 in Bonnyrigg

Been to The Sun Inn? Share your experiences!