“Absolutely brilliant stay!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #2 of 6 Dalkeith B&B and Inns
Aberdeen, Scotland, United Kingdom
“Absolutely brilliant stay!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 August 2013

Couple staying for 1 night with evening meal in the Inn restaurant.

The room was spacious, stylish and clean. The staff were very friendly and helpful. And omg the food was amazing!

Would happily go back and stay time and time again.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Glasgow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2013

We stayed 2 nights at the Sun Inn purely because it had previously won the gastro pub of the year.

We were not disappointed.

The room was modern and bright; though looking on to the main road there was no road noise at night.

Dinner both nights were excellent. Good quality ingredients well prepared. The treacle and walnut bread is superb.
Breakfast on both mornings was also of a high standard

Will be back.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Kritikos-1
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2013

Only a few miles away from Edinburgh and Rosslyn Chapel, the Sun Inn is ideally located. However, If you intend to stay there, you must be aware that four of the five rooms are very nice and well equipped but close to the road and the traffic is heavy during the day. Fortunately it is much quieter during the night.
If I had to choose one reason for recommending this place I would certainly mention the staff. They are incredibly welcoming, helpful and friendly, e.g. my daughter had to spend the first night on a very uncomfortable folding bed because I hadn't specified how tall she was. The manager was so embarrassed that my daughter was offered a night in the best room free of charge. Needless to say that she slept wonderfully on the king size bed.
Breakfast is delicious and copiously served. On the second evening we decided to try their renowned cuisine and we enjoyed it. Yet, the £22 ribeye steak should be cut thicker. From my own experience I know how easy it is to overcook a piece of meat that you would have liked medium when it is not thick enough. Unfortunately that was the case.
A large board on a wall pays tribute to the local farmers and fishermen the restaurant makes a point at supporting. Their names are mentioned. It's nice to know that the food on your plate comes from vegetables, cattle or fish that were grown, reared or fished locally. Why don't all restaurants do that?

Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Honeypie69
Lowestoft, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2013

Due to The Open, I was struggling to find accommodation having booked a last minute business trip. I read a few reviews on The Sun Inn and was so glad I chose to stay there. I will definitely be returning! The menu has an excellent range of choice, needless to say the food is wonderful, they deserve all the awards they have won. The staff are friendly, knowledgeable and really make you feel at home.

Room Tip: Rooms at the back of the inn will be quieter as it is on a main road.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
Carnoustie
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2013

Stayed 4 nights on business over last weekend. Food terrific, room very comfortable, staff as always friendly and helpful. Full marks are due to all. I believe extension work is due soon-don't lose what is good!

• Stayed June 2013
Skipsea, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 April 2013

What a find! My husband has stayed here a couple of times previously whilst away on business and has always raved about it. We have been allocated room 5 which is an amazing mini suite with a huge free standing copper bath in the bedroom - a real treat.

We booked a table for dinner last night, the food and service were second to none (even though it was busy all evening)

In summary - great place, great staff and great food - what more could anyone ask for?

Room Tip: Room 5 for a special treat!
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Tim H
Durham
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 January 2013

I usually stay in large hotels in the city when I visit Edinburgh, but this time I fancied a change so I looked at smaller 'pub type' places and happened upon The Sun Inn.

The room seemed like a fair price when I booked (£70.00 inc breakfast) and upon arrival I was very pleased with what I had booked. The room size was more that adequate (room 4) with a massive bed, a huge TV and full sky services. This surprised me, I stay in hotels often and freeview has become the norm but to have sky movies/sport etc was very impressive. There was a jar containing very nice biscuits but whilst many would like the cafetiere and ground coffee provided, I can't be bothered with it and would have liked instant coffee sachets. More than anything else I didn't want to open a large new packet of coffee just for one cup. The tea was fine though.

The duvet was a bit thin and I had to put the room heating on to sleep, no big deal but I like a cold room and a warm bed. I slept well enough though in that massive comfortable bed. The shower was powerful and hot, the towels were large and fluffy and the whole bathroom was clean with no complaints at all.

Dinner was extremely nice. I knew when I pulled into the car park that the restaurant would be good as the car park was full but with only 5 rooms they must all have been eating there. I wasn't disappointed, a smallish menu with obviously well thought out meals all looked nice, and the lamb dish I chose didn't disappoint. Breakfast was lovely, scrambled eggs and smoked salmon on toast hit the spot and set me up for the day.

I'd like to mention the service, they have a young team of people who have none of the typical young person attitude towards paying guests. These people were attentive, courteous, professional and polite at all times. From the lad who showed me to my room to the lass who brought my dinner to the table they couldn't have tried harder and I appreciated it. Well done, more than anything the service will bring me back here again.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Parky62
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dalkeith
Melville Castle
#1 of 1 in Bonnyrigg
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,283 reviews
Carberry Tower Mansion House and Estate
Premier Inn Edinburgh A1 (Newcraighall) Hotel

Been to The Sun Inn? Share your experiences!