“Very poor meal”

Ranked #18 of 33 Restaurants in Dalkeith
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 11 January 2014

Having eaten at The Blacksmith's forge before, we knew that the meal would be at the value for money end of the spectrum, but were sadly disappointed at just how poor the service was. The meal took over half an hour to arrive, minus several items listed in the menu, such as butter to go with a baked potato. When the waiter brought the butter following our request, the potato was so cold that the butter didn't melt.

Customers were having to clear and wipe tables in order to find somewhere to sit, as used plates and glasses were piled up on tables as well as in the serving hatch which was completely covered in unwashed items. The general appearance of the premises is also very poor with threadbare carpets lining the stairs and corridors that lead to the toilets, inconveniently situated upstairs from the restaurant.

Reviewed 25 November 2013

had breakfast in the blacksmiths forge this morning and iv got to say it was SHOCKING, first off the kitchen staff forgot my grilled tomato, but nvr mind. The thing I was disgusted at was that the baked beans were stone cold and the fried eggs were massively over cooked and were like rubber. We never recieved any "check back" from our server ( this seams to be a common thing when I visit). weatherspoons is a massive company so surely they can invest some time in training staff how not to ruin eggs and how to cook baked beans.

Reviewed 25 November 2013

Ate here last week with 2 friends, served at different times although we were all having the same, one of the meals was only luke warm. Yes, the place is cheap but quality and service are suffering because of that. Never enough staff on, queues up the bar, tables full of dirty dishes and glasses. Toilets 2 flights up and the disabled which I have to use is disgusting! Save your money and go somewhere else even though you may pay more!

Reviewed 24 November 2013

Visited the Blacksmith Forge along with some friends for a night out. Staff very friendly and helpful however behaviour of some of the customers could put people off from being regular visitors to this bar.
Prices of drink and food is excellent value for money however quality of food is not as good if place is busy, don't think kitchen able to cope!!!

Reviewed 27 October 2013

On arrival there were no menu's on our table, they were very short staffed as there was a massive cue at the back of me and I had to wait to be served for 15 minutes. If that wasn't bad enough when ordering my breakfast due my religion I am unable to eat certain foods and was refused when asked to swap certain things on my breakfast I was told that I would have to pay extra. When my breakfast arrived it was very tough to eat and very greasy also it wasn't very well presented and the quality was awful. My partner ordered a curry, and was offered chips instead of nan bread. The chips tasted like they had been cooked in dirty oil. Overall we weren't pleased with our visit and won't be returning.