“GREASY SPOON CAFE!”

Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Dalkeith
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“GREASY SPOON CAFE!”
Reviewed 5 October 2012

Visited here last weekend along with 2 elderly ladies and my 2 cousins.

Despite there only being four other people in the restaurant all in one party, we waited ages to get out 'food' which was fish, chips and peas.

The plate of food was a pile of over done chips, peas that tasted like anything but peas and a huge piece of greasy fish plonked on top. Horrible!

I left some of my food and I had to leave early as the service took so long. I left the others there and I believe that the Staff handed a survey form to one of the old ladies who gave them four of of five. I can only guess that she didn't want to hurt their feelings.

Truly dreadful food and service. Should have guessed when on a Saturday afternoon the restaurant was almost empty.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
edinburgh
Reviewed 30 September 2012

Myself and my family 3 children 6 adults went here friday28th September 2012 for a bar lunch starters were lovely but dont know what happened to the mains?? I ordered the burger which was edible but chips way over done.3 of the adults ordered the fish wish looked great on the plate but all had to leave there meal as way to many bones in every mouthful..My son ordered the lasagne that we refused to pay for swimming in tomatoe puree and hardly any meat,the macaroni was ok,bread that i had ordered for my granddaughter was stale/hard...all in all a very poor meal one that i will Not be repeating..Staff on the other hand were very attentive and manageress behind bar gave us our money back straight away when complaint was made.Shame really as this could be a really nice place.Need new chef

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank jo2626jo

Travellers are raving about these Dalkeith hotels

Llwyngwril
Reviewed 27 September 2012

I stayed here when My son got married and I have to say that it was very nice. The staff were helpful and friendly. The room was comfortable and the restaurant was lovely. Breakfast was good and I have no complaints. I will stay here again. I stayed in a single room and I have to say that the decor was a little tired. Having said that it was clean and everything worked and was perfectly adequate. I also know that there is a programme of redecoration going on so I expect this will be remedied in time. The public areas were all very welcoming.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Prysgoed12
Reviewed 22 August 2012 via mobile

My partner & I stayed here 17 &18 aug 2012 with a large group for a wedding. We were supposed to be staying at the Queen Margaret Uni but after arriving late from an 8 hour drive on the Friday we found the room to be unsuitable & in very poor shape. We called the b&b straight away and they were extremely helpful in booking us in for two nights to join the wedding party. The rooms were of a lot better standard & a more reasonable price. The staff were very friendly and helpful & the bar was great - cheap drinks and a pool table. The rooms were basic but comfortable, we had everything we needed. The breakfast was nice - the cooked breakfast was lovely & there was toast, cereal, yogurts & fruit.

Highly recommended & in a good location. :)

• Stayed August 2012
1 Thank Rufio1989
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 16 August 2012

We found this place as we were in a pinch as the Madonna concert had almost all of Edinburgh at capacity. Room was dated and needed some repair but was clean, staff was nice, bartender & his associates were friendly.

The best thing about it was the fact we got to the airport the next day in about 15 minutes!

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank 82-ag
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 August 2012 via mobile

Having stayed on business in many places I am used to varying degrees of comfort. The room was ok and bed was comfy but I was expecting a little more. For breakfast they do not provide menus so you did not get to know what was included, consequently part of it was wasted. The following morning I ordered specifically. The staff are friendly although a little over enthustiastic. The attached bar was very pleasant but I had to change my choice of drink as the drink itself smelt awful. Not sure why. The hotel claims wifi but you get told its best in the coffee room so work that out. Its not the best for reliability. Parking is a nightmare and I had to leave my car a good distance away.

Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank MarkPocock
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 July 2012

Just been for a meal at The County Hotel in Dalkeith. They have a new introductory menu with 2 courses for under £10. We were VERY impressed. The presentation was 5 star, the food was top class and the staff were friendly and attentive. If you are looking for a fabulous meal at a good price this place comes highly recommended!!

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank gkfisch
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dalkeith
Premier Inn Edinburgh A7 (Dalkeith) Hotel
#1 of 1 in Bonnyrigg
Carberry Tower Mansion House and Estate
Premier Inn Edinburgh A1 (Musselburgh) Hotel
Best Western Kings Manor Hotel

Been to The County Hotel? Share your experiences!