“A little tired but perfect for what we needed”
Review of The County Hotel

The County Hotel
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Dalkeith
Gloucester, United Kingdom
“A little tired but perfect for what we needed”
Reviewed 27 November 2012

The hotel was nice and quiet during our stay and although the carpets, decor and bedroom furniture is a little tired and worn, it was clean and the bed was comfy. Breakfast wasnt bad but as other reviewers have said, there's no choice and everything is piled on the plate. Overall it was good value for money. We paid £60 for a double room with breakfast via Late Rooms.

• Stayed November 2012

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Fairfield, California
Reviewed 7 November 2012

This was surprisingly a nice place to stay. It was not the fanciest of places, but it was clean and the staff were friendly. The restaraunt was good, but not a lace for a rushed eal. A worthwhile place to stay, as it is conveniently located near many great places to visit in all directions.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled solo
Kilsyth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 November 2012

Members of our extended family stayed here for the weekend of my daughter's wedding in August. The decor needs to be updated and a bit of modernisation would help however our room was a good size. The hotel staff were all very friendly and helpful and made us feel welcome. The breakfast was of a good standard with a good choice. Parking can be difficult but you can park on the street very close to the hotel. I wouldn't hesitate to stay here again.

Room Tip: Our room was on the front of the hotel which is on the main road. However, Dalkeith is a small town...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 October 2012

Visited here last weekend along with 2 elderly ladies and my 2 cousins.

Despite there only being four other people in the restaurant all in one party, we waited ages to get out 'food' which was fish, chips and peas.

The plate of food was a pile of over done chips, peas that tasted like anything but peas and a huge piece of greasy fish plonked on top. Horrible!

I left some of my food and I had to leave early as the service took so long. I left the others there and I believe that the Staff handed a survey form to one of the old ladies who gave them four of of five. I can only guess that she didn't want to hurt their feelings.

Truly dreadful food and service. Should have guessed when on a Saturday afternoon the restaurant was almost empty.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with family

Travellers are raving about these Dalkeith hotels

edinburgh
Reviewed 30 September 2012

Myself and my family 3 children 6 adults went here friday28th September 2012 for a bar lunch starters were lovely but dont know what happened to the mains?? I ordered the burger which was edible but chips way over done.3 of the adults ordered the fish wish looked great on the plate but all had to leave there meal as way to many bones in every mouthful..My son ordered the lasagne that we refused to pay for swimming in tomatoe puree and hardly any meat,the macaroni was ok,bread that i had ordered for my granddaughter was stale/hard...all in all a very poor meal one that i will Not be repeating..Staff on the other hand were very attentive and manageress behind bar gave us our money back straight away when complaint was made.Shame really as this could be a really nice place.Need new chef

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank jo2626jo
Llwyngwril
Reviewed 27 September 2012

I stayed here when My son got married and I have to say that it was very nice. The staff were helpful and friendly. The room was comfortable and the restaurant was lovely. Breakfast was good and I have no complaints. I will stay here again. I stayed in a single room and I have to say that the decor was a little tired. Having said that it was clean and everything worked and was perfectly adequate. I also know that there is a programme of redecoration going on so I expect this will be remedied in time. The public areas were all very welcoming.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Prysgoed12
Reviewed 22 August 2012 via mobile

My partner & I stayed here 17 &18 aug 2012 with a large group for a wedding. We were supposed to be staying at the Queen Margaret Uni but after arriving late from an 8 hour drive on the Friday we found the room to be unsuitable & in very poor shape. We called the b&b straight away and they were extremely helpful in booking us in for two nights to join the wedding party. The rooms were of a lot better standard & a more reasonable price. The staff were very friendly and helpful & the bar was great - cheap drinks and a pool table. The rooms were basic but comfortable, we had everything we needed. The breakfast was nice - the cooked breakfast was lovely & there was toast, cereal, yogurts & fruit.

Highly recommended & in a good location. :)

• Stayed August 2012
1 Thank Rufio1989
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dalkeith
Premier Inn Edinburgh A7 (Dalkeith) Hotel
#1 of 1 in Bonnyrigg
Carberry Tower Mansion House and Estate
Premier Inn Edinburgh A1 (Musselburgh) Hotel
Best Western Kings Manor Hotel

Been to The County Hotel? Share your experiences!