“One night stay in cold December”
Review of The County Hotel

The County Hotel
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Dalkeith
Reviewed 5 December 2012 via mobile

I stayed in this hotel in early December for one night with my husband and two children. I booked in advance for 120 I think as the normal premier inn was booked up. There was few parking spaces outside but we managed to get sorted. When were checked in promptly and were given keys to 105. Named of the Duke of Edinburgh suite. It was a little chilly when we arrived and took about 30 mins to warm nicely. The suite had two rooms both overlooking the church opposite. The kids room had bunkbeds and an additional bed and ours a double bed. Each with tea/coffee facilities and tv/DVD player. The bedding was immaculate and fresh they rest of the decoration was as has been previously said ...a little dated. One area of the wall had an obvious peeling effect. The bathroom was adequate and toliet made a huge noise whenever you flushed or drained the bath water. As we were only staying one night this was fine.
The church opposite also chimes hourly which for some might be annoying.
The highlight of our stay was definately breakfast, wonderfully friendly service, gorgeous mouth watering food and left us full for ages. I would highly recommend their food, location was almost great for us and I will look forward to staying again in the summer.
Thanks

• Stayed: December 2012

Reviewed 27 November 2012

The hotel was nice and quiet during our stay and although the carpets, decor and bedroom furniture is a little tired and worn, it was clean and the bed was comfy. Breakfast wasnt bad but as other reviewers have said, there's no choice and everything is piled on the plate. Overall it was good value for money. We paid £60 for a double room with breakfast via Late Rooms.

• Stayed: November 2012
Reviewed 7 November 2012

This was surprisingly a nice place to stay. It was not the fanciest of places, but it was clean and the staff were friendly. The restaraunt was good, but not a lace for a rushed eal. A worthwhile place to stay, as it is conveniently located near many great places to visit in all directions.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 3 November 2012

Members of our extended family stayed here for the weekend of my daughter's wedding in August. The decor needs to be updated and a bit of modernisation would help however our room was a good size. The hotel staff were all very friendly and helpful and made us feel welcome. The breakfast was of a good standard with a good choice. Parking can be difficult but you can park on the street very close to the hotel. I wouldn't hesitate to stay here again.

Room Tip: Our room was on the front of the hotel which is on the main road. However, Dalkeith is a small town...
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 5 October 2012

Visited here last weekend along with 2 elderly ladies and my 2 cousins.

Despite there only being four other people in the restaurant all in one party, we waited ages to get out 'food' which was fish, chips and peas.

The plate of food was a pile of over done chips, peas that tasted like anything but peas and a huge piece of greasy fish plonked on top. Horrible!

I left some of my food and I had to leave early as the service took so long. I left the others there and I believe that the Staff handed a survey form to one of the old ladies who gave them four of of five. I can only guess that she didn't want to hurt their feelings.

Truly dreadful food and service. Should have guessed when on a Saturday afternoon the restaurant was almost empty.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 30 September 2012

Myself and my family 3 children 6 adults went here friday28th September 2012 for a bar lunch starters were lovely but dont know what happened to the mains?? I ordered the burger which was edible but chips way over done.3 of the adults ordered the fish wish looked great on the plate but all had to leave there meal as way to many bones in every mouthful..My son ordered the lasagne that we refused to pay for swimming in tomatoe puree and hardly any meat,the macaroni was ok,bread that i had ordered for my granddaughter was stale/hard...all in all a very poor meal one that i will Not be repeating..Staff on the other hand were very attentive and manageress behind bar gave us our money back straight away when complaint was made.Shame really as this could be a really nice place.Need new chef

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank jo2626jo
Reviewed 27 September 2012

I stayed here when My son got married and I have to say that it was very nice. The staff were helpful and friendly. The room was comfortable and the restaurant was lovely. Breakfast was good and I have no complaints. I will stay here again. I stayed in a single room and I have to say that the decor was a little tired. Having said that it was clean and everything worked and was perfectly adequate. I also know that there is a programme of redecoration going on so I expect this will be remedied in time. The public areas were all very welcoming.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Prysgoed12
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dalkeith
Premier Inn Edinburgh A7 (Dalkeith) Hotel
The Sun Inn
The Sun Inn
#2 of 5 in Dalkeith
Rathan House - the Guesthouse at Eskbank

Been to The County Hotel? Share your experiences!