See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 16 December 2012

With a group of friend we attended the Christmas party on Friday night. The tables were full, which promised a good night.
The 3 course menu, was full of false promises, food tasted ok, presentation, why serve very large dishes and only fill with very little.
I had the soup, unfortunately when having tomato/peppers soup, the skins must be removed!
Then the stuffed turkey which was ok, but I small price of carrot, I sprout,1 small new potato, and 1 roast potato..a pitifull sight.
Trife, was the highlight I asked for no sponge as I am wheat allergic and they delivered, thank you.
The disco was awful, by 9.30pm the hall was empty, dj believed because there was a party of 8 elderly, that they had choice of music...
We left at 10pm with not exactly the festive feel good feeling.
We have no plans to ever return..
If the hotel really wanted these evenings to be a success it was within their grasp. :-((

Room Tip: Don't book a Christmas evening or do what we did fill up at the chippy next door!
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 5 December 2012 via mobile

I stayed in this hotel in early December for one night with my husband and two children. I booked in advance for 120 I think as the normal premier inn was booked up. There was few parking spaces outside but we managed to get sorted. When were checked in promptly and were given keys to 105. Named of the Duke of Edinburgh suite. It was a little chilly when we arrived and took about 30 mins to warm nicely. The suite had two rooms both overlooking the church opposite. The kids room had bunkbeds and an additional bed and ours a double bed. Each with tea/coffee facilities and tv/DVD player. The bedding was immaculate and fresh they rest of the decoration was as has been previously said ...a little dated. One area of the wall had an obvious peeling effect. The bathroom was adequate and toliet made a huge noise whenever you flushed or drained the bath water. As we were only staying one night this was fine.
The church opposite also chimes hourly which for some might be annoying.
The highlight of our stay was definately breakfast, wonderfully friendly service, gorgeous mouth watering food and left us full for ages. I would highly recommend their food, location was almost great for us and I will look forward to staying again in the summer.
Thanks

• Stayed: December 2012
Reviewed 27 November 2012

The hotel was nice and quiet during our stay and although the carpets, decor and bedroom furniture is a little tired and worn, it was clean and the bed was comfy. Breakfast wasnt bad but as other reviewers have said, there's no choice and everything is piled on the plate. Overall it was good value for money. We paid £60 for a double room with breakfast via Late Rooms.

• Stayed: November 2012
Reviewed 7 November 2012

This was surprisingly a nice place to stay. It was not the fanciest of places, but it was clean and the staff were friendly. The restaraunt was good, but not a lace for a rushed eal. A worthwhile place to stay, as it is conveniently located near many great places to visit in all directions.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 3 November 2012

Members of our extended family stayed here for the weekend of my daughter's wedding in August. The decor needs to be updated and a bit of modernisation would help however our room was a good size. The hotel staff were all very friendly and helpful and made us feel welcome. The breakfast was of a good standard with a good choice. Parking can be difficult but you can park on the street very close to the hotel. I wouldn't hesitate to stay here again.

Room Tip: Our room was on the front of the hotel which is on the main road. However, Dalkeith is a small town and there was no traffic noise at night.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family