The County Hotel
Dalhousie Castle(Bonnyrigg)
  • Restaurant
  • Restaurant
View Hotel
See what travellers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 15 February 2013

My husband and I went for a meal at the County Hotel restaurant in January. There were 3 people in the restaurant including us. The service was fair but the food was not very appetising at all. To be honest after our meal we could have quite happily gone to the “chippy” on the way home! Food was at best average and portion size left a lot to be desired. To be honest, don’t think I would bother again which is sad as this used to be a lovely please to eat. It was alos poor value for money.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 February 2013

The County Hotel is located right inthe centre of Dalkeith. The room was very clean, with nice soft white towels in the bathroom. very quiet in my room [306] at the back. The restaurant was empty of customers, so I went a short walk in to town for dinner.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 11 January 2013 via mobile

The country park was in a lovely location, right next to a wonderful park. I was disappointed with the rooms the walls were peeling, service however was more than average. Staff where friendly and chatty. Come back again hopefully next time round it's cleaner

• Stayed: December 2012
Reviewed 16 December 2012

With a group of friend we attended the Christmas party on Friday night. The tables were full, which promised a good night.
The 3 course menu, was full of false promises, food tasted ok, presentation, why serve very large dishes and only fill with very little.
I had the soup, unfortunately when having tomato/peppers soup, the skins must be removed!
Then the stuffed turkey which was ok, but I small price of carrot, I sprout,1 small new potato, and 1 roast potato..a pitifull sight.
Trife, was the highlight I asked for no sponge as I am wheat allergic and they delivered, thank you.
The disco was awful, by 9.30pm the hall was empty, dj believed because there was a party of 8 elderly, that they had choice of music...
We left at 10pm with not exactly the festive feel good feeling.
We have no plans to ever return..
If the hotel really wanted these evenings to be a success it was within their grasp. :-((

Room Tip: Don't book a Christmas evening or do what we did fill up at the chippy next door!
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 5 December 2012 via mobile

I stayed in this hotel in early December for one night with my husband and two children. I booked in advance for 120 I think as the normal premier inn was booked up. There was few parking spaces outside but we managed to get sorted. When were checked in promptly and were given keys to 105. Named of the Duke of Edinburgh suite. It was a little chilly when we arrived and took about 30 mins to warm nicely. The suite had two rooms both overlooking the church opposite. The kids room had bunkbeds and an additional bed and ours a double bed. Each with tea/coffee facilities and tv/DVD player. The bedding was immaculate and fresh they rest of the decoration was as has been previously said ...a little dated. One area of the wall had an obvious peeling effect. The bathroom was adequate and toliet made a huge noise whenever you flushed or drained the bath water. As we were only staying one night this was fine.
The church opposite also chimes hourly which for some might be annoying.
The highlight of our stay was definately breakfast, wonderfully friendly service, gorgeous mouth watering food and left us full for ages. I would highly recommend their food, location was almost great for us and I will look forward to staying again in the summer.
Thanks