“A Great Find”

Ranked #8 of 12 Congleton B&B and Inns
Haddington, United Kingdom
“A Great Find”
Reviewed 15 July 2012

We have been going to Yew Tree Farm for about twelve years. We always receive a warm welcome from Sheila and are well looked after. We can thoroughly recommend the delicious breakfasts and home made evening meals. We always have a good night's sleep in the comfortable bed and it is very convenient having a guest lounge with its own TV. We would not hesitate to recommend this Farmhouse B and B which is beautifully located.

Room Tip: We like the bedroom downstairs.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
HORNSEA
Reviewed 20 January 2012

We can only give many thanks to Sheila and Malcolm for a wonderful stay with so much attention to detail and excellent standards in all spheres. We opted to book for an evening meal - boy are we glad we did! The food was of the highest standard, beautifully presented and piping hot and all home made- well done Sheila.
We learned about different rare breeds of cattle from Malcolm and their preservation and the best way to feed them - actually , it was very interesting indeed.
We were comfortable and so very well cared for and would certainly come again.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
Southampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 October 2011

The first thing that I have to say is that the bad review from the 8th Feb 2011 entitled "Not what we had expected" is complete rubbish and is an unfair appraisal.

I stayed here last night for a one night stay and it was truly wonderful! It was my niece's Christening today and as I live a couple of hundred miles away I needed a stop over ... and I wanted something with character. Yew Tree Farm really hits the spot in the character department! I thoroughly enjoyed the whole atmosphere. The farm is gorgeous and you are encouraged to walk around the fields. When I discovered the duck pond (lake) it took my breath away .. so picturesque!

Sheila and Malcolm are very welcoming and treat you like royalty. I took them up on their offer of an evening meal and I ended up eating with the other guests (a lovely couple with a young son) at the family table. As I was staying on my own I really appreciated this and it made the evening for me (thanks T, N and L)!

There are lots of nice touches such as an array of books in the room, a collection of "things to do leaflets" nicely presented in a ring binder and a torch in case of emergency.

All in all I had a fantastic time and look forward to coming back soon (with my wife and kids)! Thanks!

• Stayed October 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank S_Whiteside
Athens, Georgia
Reviewed 26 July 2011

I have had the great pleasure to stay at Yew Tree Farm on several occasions over the years. I am usually traveling alone and each time I have been there I am made to feel so welcome by the lovely, joyful hostess, Sheila Kidd. She and her gracious husband, Malcolm run a farm tucked down a lovely lane that leads out of the tiny village of North Rode. This is the real England. Big trees and well kept farm yards with tidy lanes lead you back to the lovely home that sits looking out on a sweet garden. The farm seems to surround the house and there are happy chickens and lazy cats and every now and then a mother cow and her calf in the field near the house.
The house is so well appointed and the guest lounge has everything one could possibly need to be comfortable. My favorite bedroom is down stairs and is small but oh, my so cozy. The bed is wonderful with clean, soft sheets and right by a window looking into a small garden with the farm beyond.
The en suite bath is so nice with a great shower. It is spotlessly clean. The towels are fluffy and there are nice toiletries in the bathroom.
The TV in the bedroom is a flat screen telly and the hospitality tray is full of treasures from good tea and hot chocolate to a big candy bar. I usually arrive at Yew Tree Farm after a long drive and after a really hot shower I just dive into the comfortable bed, turn on the telly and melt into comfort and a good nights sleep. I have to say there are mornings I have to make myself get out of that comfortable bed. But I do for the breakfasts at Yew Tree Farm are top notch. Sheila knows good quality and you will always find a generous breakfast with fresh fruit and good coffee and granary toast and good fresh eggs. Gosh, I like this place and the people that make it so comfortable. The price is great for a single room and as well as for a double.
Sheila serves really wonderful evening meals at a reasonable price. The house smells so good and welcoming when you walk in with some delicious dinner being prepared for guests.
Better call for reservations as this is a really special place. The location is far from the madding crowd and if you are traveling the M6 it is really not too far away; just through Congelton. Well worth the drive for all the good comfort, peace and quiet.
I always try to make my way to Yew Tree Farm.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled solo
4 Thank missbean2
Richmond, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 June 2011

Lovely room, nice touches such as fresh picked flowers, ajoining living room was full interesting books and personal trinkets made it feel like that much more homely. Breakfast was delicious with fresh eggs, and home made marmalade. Wonderful views of the countryside along with all the farm pets, ducks and chickens wandering in the garden. Would highly recommend a stay.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank michelleriley63
Leicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 April 2011

We found the place welcoming, very comfortable and the food delicious. Nice touches were the home made marmalade and beef from the farm.Bedrooms were clean and fresh looking with lovely views. We definitely would come again.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank lindahaggett
Blackwater, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 March 2011

A beautiful B and B set in an idilic part of the country on acres and acres of farm land that you are free to explore. From the friendly response to our intial enquiry we stopped looking for anywhere else to stay and quickly sent the link to our friend who was also attending the wedding we were. Upon arrival Sheila was extremely welcoming and showed us to our quaint family room with views of the farm. Tea and muffins followed in the lounge area, a lovely treat after a long drive. Sheila had provided us with taxi numbers before arrival so no delay in getting to the wedding. Our 11 year old was free to roam and loved getting up close and personal with the cows, chickens, goats and sheep whilst we showered and changed in the en suite bathroom. A delicious breakfast awaited us in the morning, tailored to suit our specific needs, perfect for the morning after the night before!! Sheila then took our son out to meet the chickens, collect the eggs and feed the goats the left over toast, he has decided that he wants to be a farmer :o) We were even given a box of eggs to bring home - delicious. Before departure we took the time to take a walk through the fields to a beautiful lake. Sheila and Malcolm are more than happy for you to take a walk and there is lots of information on different walks and 'things to do' in a specially compiled folder. We will definately look to book again and certainly recommend to friends and family. If you fancy a B and B with a difference book here, you won't be disapointed. Thanks Sheila. Zoe, Paul and Alex.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank ArcherJennison
Also consider these accommodations in or near Congleton
The Alexandra Court Hotel
The Egerton Arms Country Inn
The Lion & Swan Hotel
The Lion & Swan Hotel
#9 of 12 in Congleton

Been to Yew Tree Farm? Share your experiences!