All reviews the pub stayed here coffee or tea ensuite shower room some tlc an extensive menu plenty of parking rooms were very clean full english breakfast pudding top quality fruit juice two nights breakfast was excellent would stay again wagon oak
Reviewed 10 December 2015 via mobile

My wife and I stayed at The Waggon & Horses for two nights for my friend's wedding at Sandhole Oak Barn. The location for the wedding was spot on, being all of a third of a mile away!! The room we stayed in was basic but spotlessly clean and perfect for our needs. The service of the staff was exceptional. The breakfast was lovely also. I'd like to make a special mention to Carol... She was lovely. On checking out, we decided to skip breakfast and stay in bed for an extra hour following a late night, but Carol still offered to make us a bacon sandwich and gave us some coffee before our journey home, even though breakfast had finished. Would recommend staying here to anyone, especially if you are attending a wedding at the Sandhole Oak Barn :)

Date of stay: December 2015
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
StuartRoyall, Owner at The Waggon & Horses, responded to this reviewResponded 18 January 2016

Thanks Chris for your review, Sorry for the late reply but we have been so busy in December. Glad you enjoyed your stay and hope to see you again if you are passing this way. Many Thanks Carol

Reviewed 29 November 2015

I would imagine the main reason people stay here is they are going to a wedding at sandhole oak barn which is only a 10 minute walk away. I couldn't speak more highly of the staff who were welcoming, the rooms are basic but clean and do the job they were designed for. The highlight of the trip however was the breakfast after a full day of celebrating on free wine its the best recovery you could ask for. Don't expect anything more than a B&B and you won't be disappointed.

Room tip: if you like us are going to a wedding take spare shoes as you will get muddy.
Date of stay: November 2015
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 6 November 2015

Booked on the day for a business trip to Manchester; arrived 6ish, pleasant check in via the bar; nice twin room, recently refurbished. Ate in the bar, good food, ale, log fire, good breakfast.
The only issue is the rooms are in an annexe, and all the walls are plasterboard, and the bathrooms use a Saniflo or similar, so you could hear all other guests moving about, and using the bathrooms, as the pump kicked in - this and the fact that the pub is on the A34, and the windows are only double, not triple glazed, mean that sleep was disturbed - otherwise, decent place, pleasant staff, good food, good value...oh and the wifi was poor too!

Date of stay: November 2015
Reviewed 21 September 2015

We stayed here, 8 of us, in 3 rooms for my nieces wedding half a mile away. One room was for 3 of us, one for 2 + a 11 month baby (but we had to take our own travel cot) & one for me & my wife. For all there was a kettle there was no coffee or tea supplied. One room had a ironing board + iron but others only had a ironing board. I would also like to point out, as I usually do, is that there were no grab handle or anti-slip mat in the shower. The best bit was the 7 + a highchair breakfast around one big table on the Sunday morning. Plenty of parking for our 3 cars.

Room tip: Book early if there is a wedding on across the road
Date of stay: September 2015
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 16 September 2015 via mobile

We stayed one night here and it was warm and comfortable. The bed was great and lovely homemade sausages for breakfast. A warm welcome and a good budget option. For us at least, preferable to the anonymous travelodge.

Date of stay: September 2015