All reviews attending a wedding the pub stayed here coffee or tea ensuite shower room some tlc an extensive menu plenty of parking rooms were very clean full english breakfast fruit juice two nights breakfast was excellent would stay again carol wagon oak
Reviewed 16 January 2016

Went for dinner this evening (Saturday)
Took my elderly mother for a treat.
I really can't fault the place! We walked in to a warm welcoming atmosphere, we were served promptly and politely by the bar staff and sat by the roaring log fire.
We each ordered different meals, all were available, all arrived together after no time at all. I had their own "Waggon sausages" the portion was generous and the sausages were delicious. My cheesecake for desert was sublime. All in our party said the same thing.
The food is excellent, great value for money, the staff couldn't be nicer, friendly and attentive and the landlady Carol was a darling.
We are planning another visit already! Thank you all for a fabulous evening

Date of stay: January 2016
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
StuartRoyall, Owner at The Waggon & Horses, responded to this reviewResponded 18 January 2016

Thanks Sheila for your kind review, so glad you enjoyed your evening, good to know we will see you more times in the future, Many Thanks Carol

Reviewed 10 December 2015 via mobile

My wife and I stayed at The Waggon & Horses for two nights for my friend's wedding at Sandhole Oak Barn. The location for the wedding was spot on, being all of a third of a mile away!! The room we stayed in was basic but spotlessly clean and perfect for our needs. The service of the staff was exceptional. The breakfast was lovely also. I'd like to make a special mention to Carol... She was lovely. On checking out, we decided to skip breakfast and stay in bed for an extra hour following a late night, but Carol still offered to make us a bacon sandwich and gave us some coffee before our journey home, even though breakfast had finished. Would recommend staying here to anyone, especially if you are attending a wedding at the Sandhole Oak Barn :)

Date of stay: December 2015
Trip type: Travelled as a couple

Thanks Chris for your review, Sorry for the late reply but we have been so busy in December. Glad you enjoyed your stay and hope to see you again if you are passing this way. Many Thanks Carol

Reviewed 29 November 2015

I would imagine the main reason people stay here is they are going to a wedding at sandhole oak barn which is only a 10 minute walk away. I couldn't speak more highly of the staff who were welcoming, the rooms are basic but clean and do the job they were designed for. The highlight of the trip however was the breakfast after a full day of celebrating on free wine its the best recovery you could ask for. Don't expect anything more than a B&B and you won't be disappointed.

Room tip: if you like us are going to a wedding take spare shoes as you will get muddy.
Date of stay: November 2015
Reviewed 6 November 2015

Booked on the day for a business trip to Manchester; arrived 6ish, pleasant check in via the bar; nice twin room, recently refurbished. Ate in the bar, good food, ale, log fire, good breakfast.
The only issue is the rooms are in an annexe, and all the walls are plasterboard, and the bathrooms use a Saniflo or similar, so you could hear all other guests moving about, and using the bathrooms, as the pump kicked in - this and the fact that the pub is on the A34, and the windows are only double, not triple glazed, mean that sleep was disturbed - otherwise, decent place, pleasant staff, good food, good value...oh and the wifi was poor too!

Date of stay: November 2015
Reviewed 21 September 2015

We stayed here, 8 of us, in 3 rooms for my nieces wedding half a mile away. One room was for 3 of us, one for 2 + a 11 month baby (but we had to take our own travel cot) & one for me & my wife. For all there was a kettle there was no coffee or tea supplied. One room had a ironing board + iron but others only had a ironing board. I would also like to point out, as I usually do, is that there were no grab handle or anti-slip mat in the shower. The best bit was the 7 + a highchair breakfast around one big table on the Sunday morning. Plenty of parking for our 3 cars.

Room tip: Book early if there is a wedding on across the road
Date of stay: September 2015