“Nothing wonderful, nothing horrible”

The Alexandra Court Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Congleton
Reviewed 10 April 2014

Staff are typically of a Cheshire business. Not unpleasant just a bit northern! Hotel nice. Room nice, if a bit on the little side. The shower seemed very small, another stone (and I'm average weight) and I would have had problems washing my feet! Turn down service basic, they tidy up but not much else, towels left where I left them hanging to dry, not sure if new bedclothes. I don't want to do them down but I'm not a messy person so I'm not sure what they did do, the bed was made properly and the bin was emptied when I came back in. The room I was in backed onto the garden and had a view of the breakfast room(?) or another room of some description which made me feel a bit uncomfortable as I had some work to do while stopping and so didn't like having the curtains open during the day in case anyone saw me pulling funny faces at my laptop or the window open in case anyone else heard me chuntering to myself.

Bed comfortable. The rooms got everything you need. Plenty of light, plugs to charge your electronics, desk, night stands, sink, toilet, shower, wardrobe, enough towels, cotton pads and cotton buds (which I always forget to pack) good guest information pack. I'm not sure if there is more parking then the parking at the front but if there isn't it may get a bit tight. There's a tesco round the corner and plenty of places to eat and visit. When I turned the lights on and blew a fuse the man on reception came to help straight away when I asked which was nice and replaced the two bulbs that were out straight away. Carried my suitcase and gave me a mini tour (bar, breakfast area) as we walked through when I checked in. the staff managed my quirks (like the fact I strongly dislike toast and cooked breakfasts) with civility.

Little things let it down. I found a sock in the wardrobe that wasn't mine which was a bit gross. Either they didn't give me a clean spoon after first turn down (which is fine but odd) or they gave me a dirty one. The cups on the brew tray were left on their sides which is not important but make it look less tidy considering they make the bed and tidy round. It's tiny things like that.

I have no issues as such but for the price I paid I'm not sure it's worth it. I have paid less and got more from other hotels/guest houses around the country and around the world. Don't forget this is just a B&B. The good and the bad weigh each other out. It's a zero sum guest house. Although, the three star rating is based on a small hotel which they obviously are not anymore since the restaurant was closed.

I stayed here because it was one of the closest to where I needed to be and I'm not used to the area so maybe there isn't anywhere better to stay around here...? Just not blown away. It does the job but there is nothing exceptional about it. I won't be raving to friends and family about the hotel I stayed in but then I won't be dissing it either.

I've written a lot and not said much I know but nothing stands out either way for me.

Room Tip: If you are overweight it might be worth upgrading so you can have a shower! Or maybe that was just m...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Amy C

Reviewed 31 March 2014

Lovely hotel but a little pricey for somewhere like Congleton, which, although it is my home town, I can't believe is a hugely popular tourist location. The location is fine, out of the town centre but not too far to walk in. The room was lovely but a little small. The receptionist Kathryn was really helpful and friendly. Breakfast was OK but not a huge choice. The only problem was getting back into the hotel late at night as the key card did not work. Overall we enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 March 2014

We booked 2 nights accommodation for my wife, daughter and myself.

The staff we friendly, the hotel and and our room were well presented, with classic furnishings, a generously sized bed with lots of cushions etc. We also enjoyed our breakfast where they volunteered that they could make hot chocolate for my wife (using the bar supplies) and provided extra toast for out toddler (who is a big fan of toast).

However I have 2 issues.

Issue #1. Call me old fashioned but I expect a hotel to have food available at times other than breakfast. Especially when the hotel bills brands itself as 'Hotel and Restaurant'. Especially when there is prominent signage outside inviting non-residents to use the restaurant. Not here however - this is B&B (admittedly very nice B&B) with a small function room available for private hire.

Issue #2. When the checking out the receptionist asked for our opinions on our visit. I pointed out the inconsistency between the branding and signage (i.e. there's a restaurant) and actual service available being B&B. A good response would have been to indicate a recent change or an oversight and the branding/signage would soon be updated. The actual response was to invite me to talk to the manager (which I declined) and to advise that all booking confirmations indicated the lack of restaurant. Well, I re-checked mine, and no it doesn't. Not a peep.

Would I go back? Yes, if I wanted somewhere to stay on a B&B basis; but I didn't on this occasion. I was looking for somewhere where I could choose to eat and that isn't here - unless you want to bring 9 friends or family and book the function room long in advance.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Tim N
Reviewed 16 March 2014 via mobile

Lovely hotel situated in beautiful grounds. Receptionist Kathryn was excellent, she was very welcoming, showed us around the hotel and took us to our room. The room was beautiful and clean and the towels lovely and soft. The bed was amazing and I had an excellent nights sleep. Breakfast was also very good. Would recommend the hotel and would definitely go again.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Ruth I
Reviewed 3 March 2014

Great hotel, and ideal location. We arrived early and staff were really helpful arranging early check in for us. Great location to lots of local attractions and really good value for money, with comfortable, well decorated room and nice breakfast.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Anna S
Reviewed 24 February 2014

We stayed for one night with our children and had in total three rooms.
Small and very comfortable and well worth the stay. The staff were talkative and friendly. My wife has difficulty with stairs (there is a lift) and we were in Room 2 which is ideal for anyone with difficulties.
As a family we had breakfast in the conservatory - great. the whole area was ideal for a break. would recommend to all

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Tony M
Reviewed 23 February 2014

I recently just spent the weekend here. The double room was extremely nice and comfortable with a decent sized double bed, well heated and very good reception on the TV while watching the Six Nations!
The staff were very friendly and attentive, enjoyed walking around and spent some time looking over the old books in the library.
At breakfast on both mornings, the service was wonderful and the cooked English breakfast very nice. The staff again were very attentive and and the lady serving was very good and efficient during this busy period.
While checking out the lady on the front desk was again very nice and attentive and we both left with smiles.
Our stay was extremely enjoyable and we enjoyed both the building and the view of the grounds from our room.
I have complete praise for my stay at The Alexandra Court Hotel and would stay here again!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Congleton
Rookery Hall Hotel & Spa
#1 of 1 in Sandbach
Carden Park Hotel
Carden Park Hotel
#1 of 1 in Broxton

Been to The Alexandra Court Hotel? Share your experiences!