The Old Lodge
US$283
US$93
US$87
Travelocity
No availability for your dates from our partners
  • Bar/Lounge
All reviewshoneymoon suitefour poster bedwedding breakfastwedding venuelovely old buildingsunday roastlovely hotelafternoon teathe main hotelopen firenorth yorkshireroll top bathbiscuitsgreat weekendstayed here for one nightsuperior rooman overnight stay
Reviewed 17 November 2013

Disappointed with our accommodation to find only a very cramped shower and no bath. The shower is an accident waiting to happen. One minute water that is far too hot, then when one gets the temperature right it suddenly goes cold, then stops altogether for 3 or 4 minutes then returns cold then warm again all with not touching the controls!!! Breakast only very average -little choice from the cereal and fruit course and the staff serving breakfast were very in different with service they provided. Would not stay at this hotel again.

Room Tip: Read the web page and choose a room from there
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
5  Thank DaveW55
OldLodgeOwner, Owner at The Old Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 25 February 2014

We would like to thank these customers for their review following their stay with us as guests at a Charity event.
We would like to reassure our guests that we have carefully assessed the situation and we do not feel that there is any risk of accident due to any of our showers, however I apologise for the fluctuations in temperature that this guest experienced.
Our breakfast choices include yoghurts, fresh fruit, pastries, four different cereals, fresh bread, jams dried fruits, nuts, juices along with a cooked breakfast of your choice from our hot food menu, which also includes, amongst other things, kippers and smoked salmon and various things on toast. We have since added peanut butter (individually packaged to ensure safety for our peanut allergy guests) and we're at a loss as to what else we could add that would be appropriate for breakfast.

Reviewed 14 November 2013

We booked just about every room in the hotel for a weekend with friends. Eileen was very helpful with all the details before we arrived and the attention we recieved from all the staff during our stay was fantastic.
The rooms were beautiful and very comfortable. The food was delicious and the service was excellent. There were little touches all weekend to make our stay even better. e.g. a bottle of champagne for friends who were celebrating their wedding anniversary (we didn't tell the hotel, they just picked up on conversations)and a donation to our raffle.
Highly recommend the hotel.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
OldLodgeOwner, Owner at The Old Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 16 November 2013

I would like to thank this guest for their kind review- it's always nice to be able to feedback positive comments as well as constructive comments to the staff team!
We are glad that you enjoyed your stay and we hope to see you again soon at The Lodge.

Reviewed 14 November 2013

We stayed overnight at the Old Lodge as part of a wedding party. While it is an excellent venue for a wedding and the wedding breakfast was delicious I thought our room was expensive and the breakfast was extremely disappointing.

Our room was huge and although furnishings in keeping with the character of the hotel the bathroom was modern. Would have been nice if there had been more hot chocolate/tea/water/biscuits as our tray appeared to be missing some items.

Not much choice for breakfast and when it arrived did not look at all appetizing, was dry and not a generous serving.

However it is a quaint lodge in a beautiful setting and perhaps that is reflected in the price.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank SheffieldKat
OldLodgeOwner, Manager at The Old Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 16 November 2013

I would like to thank these guests for their review. I am glad that they enjoyed the wedding, and that they thought that their wedding meal was delicious.
I am disappointed that they found their room to be expensive. We set our room prices with extreme care, and we do feel that they reflect the quality of the room size, décor and our location. All of our room rates are available to view on our website so a choice can be made about which room is chosen, as we have a range of room types to choose from.
As also stated on our website, any guest who would like more tea bags etc, or some fresh milk instead of the little UHT cartons that are provided has only to ask and they will gladly be provided.
I am afraid that I cannot agree with these guests about the breakfast choice. Our menu is extensive and features many options to choose from in addition to the usual full cooked breakfast, and our portion sizes are generally thought to be very generous.
Regarding the comments that it looked unappetising and was dry, I will ensure that this review is seen by our head chef and he will certainly investigate what happened on this occasion. We very rarely receive negative feedback about breakfast at The Lodge, and we will ensure that our breakfast is and remains to be excellent.

Reviewed 2 November 2013

Enjoyed a lovely afternoon tea. The service was great and all staff were very friendly and helpful. The food was great and the cakes were enjoyed. The lodge itself is beautiful and has a gorgeous garden and surroundings. The authentic china tea cups on the table were a gorgeous added touch! There was so much food! Lovely finger sandwiches, scones,clotted cream and jam and even more cakes to finish. We had a glass of champagne to start and a huge pot of tea. Overall a really scrumptious treat!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
OldLodgeOwner, Owner at The Old Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 4 November 2013

I would like to thank this customer for their kind review and I am delighted that they enjoyed their afternoon tea, including our authentic old fashioned china!

Reviewed 1 November 2013

I took my parents for an anniversary lunch but it wasn't what we were expecting we had great starters but unfortunately two of the mains weren't very good one was the steak and chips which I am afraid looked like it had been boiled it was quickly replaced by fish and chips and no charge was made but when you fancy a steak fish isn't really what you want the other was battered chicken which was really soggy not really appetising. The service was excellent and the surroundings lovely but the food needs a bit of attention, maybe it was because it was lunch time and there was only us 3 eating but food should be excellent what ever time of day. The starters and the one main meal which was liver and bacon with mash were very nice so maybe we will try here again.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family

I would like to thank you for your constructive feedback, and I am pleased to hear that your starters were great.
I am sorry that your steak was below standard, however I am glad to hear that the mistake was quickly rectified and that you were not charged on this occasion.
I often eat our tempura battered chicken with dips- it's one of my favourites- and although I'm not disputing that it was below standard on this occasion it's usually really good, so I'm really disappointed that it was not great on this occasion.
You are quite correct that our food should be excellent whatever time of day- our lunchtimes are often very busy, and there should be no difference in the quality of the food whatsoever.
I am aware that our head Chef was (and still is) on holiday during the time of your visit, however I'm sure he will be investigating these issues and delivering training where necessary as soon as he returns.