The Old Lodge
US$283
US$93
US$87
Hotels.com
No availability for your dates from our partners
  • Bar/Lounge
All reviewshoneymoon suitefour poster bedwedding breakfastwedding venuelovely old buildingsunday roastlovely hotelafternoon teathe main hotelopen firenorth yorkshireroll top bathbiscuitsgreat weekendstayed here for one nightsuperior rooman overnight stay
Reviewed 16 January 2014

I recently had my third stay at The Old Lodge and can honestly say I can't fault it. This wonderful old building and its interior have bags of character.During each visit I stayed in a different room and they were all excellent.Each one was spacious,comfortable and pleasing to the eye.The staff were wonderful in every sense.This included being informed very early in the morning that there had been a change in train schedules at Malton station.Had this not been brought to my notice I could have been delayed with a lot of inconvenience to my schedule. The hotel has a very pleasant bar and their breakfast is excellent. I will certainly stay there again.

Room Tip: All the rooms I stayed in had pleasant views.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
OldLodgeOwner, Owner at The Old Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 24 February 2014

Thank you for your kind review. We're really pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay and have enjoyed our rooms during this and your previous stays.
I'm glad that the staff looked after you well - they are always pleased to have praise from our guests and thank you for giving such positive feedback, it is very much appreciated.

Reviewed 13 January 2014

My family and I (16 of us in total) have dined at The Lodge for the past few years at lunchtime on Christmas Eve. Last year, we felt rushed and, as we were drinking our coffee, one of the staff actually asked us to hurry as they all had homes to go to for Christmas! This year, my Mum had booked lunch for 12.30 so we arrived at midday for a drink. At 12.10, the waitress asked us to go to our table as "Chef is ready" (we'd pre-ordered the food). We persuaded her to allow us to finish our drinks but thenceforward we were rushed throughout the meal - desserts for some of our party arriving before others' dinner plates had been removed. We really felt the staff couldn't get us out quickly enough and that we were rather a nuisance - despite the very hefty bill (though the food was delicious). WE SHALL NOT BE GOING AGAIN!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank Joanna R
OldLodgeOwner, Owner at The Old Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 25 February 2014

We are sorry to hear that these guests did not enjoy their dining experience at The Lodge, although we are pleased that they thought the food was delicious.
I have investigated this incident with care, as we pride ourselves at The Lodge on offering a relaxed and pleasant dining experience at all times.
Our general manager was on duty this day, and she can clearly remember this party and the day itself.
She remembers that Chef called through for this party at 12.30, and the manager herself went through and asked if they would like to come through to the table. When food is pre-ordered, it is prepared in accordance with the time that the guests are booked in at. This is even more crucial at busy periods such as Christmas. This being the case, it is unlikely that the food would be ready at 12.10, when booked for 12.30.
As far as we are concerned these guests were asked to take their seats at 12.30, and not any earlier as they claim in their review, and our only explanation is that there is perhaps some confusion on their part about the timings. The manager returned to ask these guests if they were ready to take their seats a little later, which they did, the Chef having managed to delay their food for a time.
It is not our way at the Lodge to serve desserts prior to all dining plates being removed and we believe that all guests are given adequate time between courses. These reviewers do not state whether they asked for more time to enjoy their meal, and regarding being asked to go home, we are very confused as to why these customers felt like this, as we still had many customers lingering and enjoying drinks in the bar at 5pm that day.
Regarding the bill- all of our prices are published in our brochure for guests to view prior to booking. We don't think that any of our food is overpriced, and we are very careful to offer sensibly priced food without compromising on the quality of the ingredients.

Reviewed 12 January 2014

We have just got home after a two night stay in this wonderful hotel! We had the family suite, which was fantastic, the staff could not have been more helpful and friendly from the moment we arrived! As we had had a difficult journey with an ill child they where quickly on hand and even laundered a bag full of clothes over night and returned them to our room the next morning, they where so attentive to everybody's needs over the the whole weekend, the food was delicious and service was very efficient! As for Irene, what can I say, wish she had been on hand at our wedding!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family

Thank you for this positive review. We're really glad that you had a good time with us and that we were able to help you with your laundry. Many of the senior team have their own kids and know that a little help at a trying time can be just what you need! We were just happy to be able to offer a helping hand on this occasion.
We hope to see you again soon at The Lodge.

Reviewed 8 January 2014

We decided to have a trip out to The Old Lodge at Malton on a wet January afternoon. I booked afternoon tea for me and my husband. We were seated in a small room with 5 tables, which were well spaced out! The room had a tudor style about it. Lovely white table cloths and napkins,proper miss matched china cups,tea plates and tea pot. First a plate of finger sandwiches were brought,which were very fresh. Then a cake stand with 6 petit fours, strawberries and really freshly baked scones with pot of jam and clotted cream! Absolutely gorgeous. We will be back again, hopefully on a better day!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank holidayyay_11

Thank you for your positive review for our afternoon tea at The Old Lodge. We're glad that you enjoyed it and that you found the food to be of a high standard.
We hope to see you again soon at The Lodge, and we too can't wait for the better weather and to be able to enjoy the garden- even though we have cosy rooms and real fires here, winter seems to have lasted for a very long time!

Reviewed 29 December 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for one night after our wedding at Sandburn Hall nearby. We booked the honeymoon suite. On check in we were greeted by the night porter which was fine given the early hour. However there were no extra touches which was disappointing as I did mention when booking that we were newlyweds. The room did have a luxurious feel and was nicely decorated. There were only a couple of small hand towels so we had to request more. Also in the morning the shower stopped working after only one of us had showered. We didn't have enough time before check out to try to get it fixed. We did mention these things on check out but didn't really get much of an apology and we were too tired to make more of a fuss. Given that we had had our wedding elsewhere we weren't too upset but if we had been getting ready or had got married at the hotel it would have been much more disappointing.

Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Cost1986

Thank you for your review of your stay at The Old Lodge, following your wedding at a nearby venue, and we would like to offer you congratulations and best wishes for your married life together.
We are glad to hear that you found your room luxurious and well decorated, however we are sorry that you did not have a full set of towels- this is really unusual as we do offer all guests full size bath sheets as well as a smaller towel (we can't stand those chilly towels that only cover half of you and don't meet in the middle).
I've done several spot checks on the rooms since your review, and also stayed at The Lodge myself on several occasions (all unannounced) and found there to be towels in all the rooms, all the time, so I can only apologise if there was an oversight on this occasion- our housekeeping staff are very enthusiastic and rarely miss anything.
I also apologise for the shower breaking. I appreciate that it's frustrating, however on rare occasions things unfortunately do break, and if this happens we do fix and/or replace them immediately. As in all hotels the process of updating, redecorating and replacing to maintain high standards is an on-going process, and I'm very sorry that your shower failed to work on this occasion.
Should you choose to return to us in the future we will try our utmost to make your stay perfect in every way.