All reviews honeymoon suite four poster bed wedding venue wedding breakfast massive bathroom the main hotel lovely old building sunday roast afternoon tea lovely hotel open fire roll top bath north yorkshire biscuits stayed here for one night an evening meal superior room
Reviewed 22 July 2017

I am writing after I just saw the review about Pets. We have been regulars at The Old Lodge and my partner and I have always gone there with our dog. Including this month. The staff as always was very friendly and welcoming. It's is unfair to say they are not pet friendly. Our stay was excellent and our dog Dennis had a great time, there were the usual pet amenities.
We will surely visit again

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Laura K
Reviewed 21 July 2017

We stayed for one night with a room in the annexe. At a function elsewhere so we didn't have dinner at the hotel. Lovely old building and a friendly welcome. You can feel the 'but' coming. The annexe rooms are much cheaper than the main building and are a somewhat irritating 100 yds down the road. Poorly soundproofed with noise from other rooms, close to the church with bells every 15 mins and road noise as well. Fine if you are a heavy sleeper but not otherwise. At breakfast they allocate one table per room with annex rooms being in the bar rather than dining room - uncomfortable tables for eating. Even when dining room tables had been used and cleaned they declined my request for a new setting to be laid. Intrusive piped music. Poorly set tables with juice glasses upturned in cups. I had scrambled eggs and bacon - the latter gave every impression of having been cooked at 7.30 and then kept in oven for two hours. Scrambled eggs poor and presentation poor. Hard really to see how this most simple of breakfast could be so bad or how any chef could let it out of the kitchen. No sign of a hotel manager all the time we were there and perhaps that is the cause of all this. We would not stay there again which is a shame because our initial impression was so good.

Stayed: July 2017
1  Thank chasn673
Reviewed 19 July 2017

This visit was our third time at the old lodge having had two fantastic stays with our dogs. Although on this visit, the grounds were beautiful, the restaurant food and the staff were great the room was a let down. Everything was as previous visits until we found the accommodation that we had been allocated (room 10). This room is at the front of the property next to the kitchen and the bins and was very poor compared to the other rooms we have stayed in. A summary of things that were not good include, the shower and cubicle, dangerous kettle/tea making tray position, toilet flush and general state of the room which was tired and does not reflect the standard of the other rooms or price charged. On checking out we raised the disappointment in the accommodation and were informed that there were new owners who had a different policy regarding dogs and that they were only allowed in certain rooms. This is clearly a different take on the previous owners because their approach was clearly 'dog friendly' (treats, bowls, beds and poo bags) as opposed to 'dog tolerant'. We wish that this had been pointed out at the time of booking. Bearing in mind they do charge for each dog I could not recommend this as a dog friendly hotel and would advise all prospective customers (dog owners or not) to check out what room they have been allocated before booking as only those at the back of the property (overlooking the grounds) are worth considering (in my opinion). The final point is that we were overcharged for our stay but this was quickly resolved when we queried it a few days later.

Room Tip: be aware of room 10/11 and also if staying with your dog/s
  • Stayed: May 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank andyandhazel
Anu B, Owner at The Old Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 22 July 2017

Hi,
We are sad to note that your third stay was not to your satisfaction. Yes we have introduced a new policy to limit pets (dogs & cats) in certain rooms. This is done primarily to be considerate to those guests who are allergic to even minute pet dander that does not go away easily despite Housekeeping sterilising each room before the arrival of the next guest. We have three rooms in varying categories including a Feature Room that have been allocated as Pet friendly. All the other amenities for the pets remain the same. And we ourselves being pet lovers & owners will always welcome pets at The Old Lodge.
I do note from your other reviews you have had a few very disappointing experiences in the recent times. Nor was I able to see any positive comments from your past two visits that were as you say "fantastic".

Regards

Anu

Reviewed 11 July 2017

Finally got round to using a voucher we received as a xmas present,called in for Monday lunch.Had drinks in the bar and given choice of eating in there or the dining room.Prefered the dining room as tables at a better height. Had the steak in guiness suet pudding with chunky home made chips and red cabbage- all excellent.Wife had the salmon with spaghetti which she also said was excellent.Had the cheese board with Yorkshire blue,smoked Applewood and wensleydale although it was not the usually white crumbly one.Wife had the lemon tart with clotted cream,we both enjoyed. With 2 pints of beera moretti and a glass of port came to just over £50.With friendly service we will return.

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
3  Thank videoman213
Reviewed 6 July 2017 via mobile

We knew when we booked that we would be staying in the annexe called The Old Lodgings. It was cheaper than the main hotel building and therefore expected it to be a little different. I don't know why but I had expected the annexe to be in the same vast grounds of the hotel, but it was down the road and down another small road in a separate converted block of cottages. There is no parking but there is a drop off bay so you can leave your cases, then you have to return your car to the main hotel carpark.
The building is a very high standard and has a separate lounge and kitchen area downstairs if you want to use it. It is a little confusing when you first go in as there are no signs to direct you which door lead to where?
As we had booked the last available room, it did not have a shower. At our age it's hard to get in and out of a bath so a shower is preferable. I had to laugh when I saw the bath which was actually in the bedroom. No wall no curtain! I laughed because we have been married for a long long time but you get used to your privicy and I wouldn't want to frighten my husband with my flab!
So we muddled by for the night.
The staff are so helpful and moved us the next day to a downstairs room with a lovely bathroom complete with walls! The rooms are extreemly well presented and clean and you have all the same options of service as the main building. Don't worry about the chiming clock on the church opposite, it stops bonging at 9pm!
We opted for breakfast at £10 each extra which was well worth it and plentiful. We also had dinner there each evening and it was amazing food. Try the pan fried duck, scrummy.
I cannot speak too highly of the staff who seem to be there at breakfast time and still there at night. They were friendly and helpful and made it a lovely stay. The grounds are beautiful and so well kept.
We would definately go again but I think it would be worth the extra to stay in the main building.

Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple