“Great place to stay with good food”
Review of The Cresswell Arms

The Cresswell Arms
Ranked #1 of 14 Malton B&B and Inns
Reviewed 1 August 2014

Stayed with friends for 1 night, superb clean nicely decorated rooms, very spacious with impeccable attention to detail (even the tea/coffee/sugars in room laid out in order in the basket!). We had a great evening meal in the pub restaurant (you can also eat in the bar), a little short on menu choice the night we stayed, but a good menu selection. Would definitely stay here again if I'm passing by the area.

Room Tip: All of the rooms outside are in converted stables and are in newly decorated condition. All are grea...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends

Reviewed 25 July 2014

My partner and I sayed for one night on 23rd July when we were visiting Castle Howard.
We were very happy with the room, it was comfortable and spotlessly clean. We found the staff to be friendly and effiicient and would recomend the hotel as being very good value.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 July 2014

After a very stressful day taking our horse to the equine hospital nearby in an emergency, we contacted to Cresswell Arms for somewhere to lay our heads for the night. The phone was answered very quickly and from the call to checking in was a matter of 15 minutes. The room was immediately ready for us. It was immaculately clean and very comfortable. We ate in the restaurant and the food was homely and tasty. We were met by friendly, helpful staff for breakfast, which again was tasty and fresh. All in all a day that started out badly was made much easier by the Cresswell Arms!

• Stayed: July 2014
Reviewed 11 July 2014

The Cresswell Arms is one of the best places I've stayed. We stayed there for 3 nights. In that time We had Clean Towels Every Day, Bedding Changed on the 3rd Day. Clean, Comfortable, The Best Breakfast to Keep you going All Day. Lovely Meals, I Had Warm Salad with Wild Mushrooms (lovely) Staff were friendly.............Beer was Good!
Was Ideally placed for Touring.

Room Tip: We stayed in Room 4 but I'm Sure there all an Equal.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank tavish854
Reviewed 29 June 2014

My husband and myself stayed here last night and found the hotel to be in an ideal place. We stayed with friends who had room no 3 and we had room 7 both themed rooms and tastefully decorated and spotless. It was nice and quiet and we didn't realise until breakfast that others were actually staying there. The breakfast was freshly made and good portion sizes. I would like to return to the hotel at a future date.

Room Tip: Any of the rooms would be nice.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Heather M
Reviewed 27 June 2014

We were attending a friends' party in the next village who recommended the Cresswell Arms for their guests. I suppose, unlike some previous guests' reviews on trip advisor, we were fortunate not to have been allocated the caravan parked in the car park. When we arrived, we assumed that it was staff accommodation, but having read the reviews on trip advisor I now know that it is reserved for guests who are the victims of overbooking, regardless of how far in advance the booking was made.

When we arrived, we could not find reception so we went to the bar, which I believe is the reception, and was told by a lady serving (she seemed surprised to see us) to go through to the next room to look for someone who could give us a key. After finding myself in the kitchen, my partner was more successful and managed to get a key.

We were in a rush to get ready and after a long day I was looking forward to a quick hot shower. I knew it wouldn't be straightforward when I saw an old fashioned electric shower from the 1980s. It was impossible to adjust: on the medium and high setting, the water alternated from dangerously scalding hot to freezing cold. I stood in the shower with soapy hair for at least five minutes whilst I tried various setting combinations. By turning the power setting to its lowest setting, and thus a trickle of warm water, I was able to just rinse my hair. On the plus side, afterwards, I was able to turn on a portable heater to get warm Despite having booked a double room, only one side of the bed had a bedside table. A plastic waterproof mattress protector meant that we had a poor night's sleep: it caused us to sweat and made a crinkle sound every time we moved. The pillows were thin and filled with fibrefill. I would have thought a good hot shower and a comfortable bed are minimum requirements for a comfortable stay. I woke early the next morning, packed and left as quickly as possible.

Room Tip: Ensure you do not book the room with the old electric shower and mismatched reproduction furniture...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jacqueline C
Reviewed 24 June 2014

stayed here for unfortunately 1 night . my mom + sister stayed in the Marilyn Munroe room . both rooms very spacious , clean and very comfortable . set in a beautiful area of Yorkshire . Breakfast very good , cooked breakfast or cereal which was included in the price . We eat here on the night and very good food and good range of menu Would stay here again .

Room Tip: room 3 is Marilyn munroe
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family