“Food Is Always Exelent Here” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #47 of 82 Restaurants in Malton
Price range: US$8 - US$40
Cuisines: British
Good for: Groups, Cheap Eats, Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Description: Great Barugh is just outside Malton on the way to Kirbymmoorside
Malton
“Food Is Always Exelent Here”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 February 2013

I've recommended the Golden Lion to lots of friends & family.
All who have visited agree with me on the quality & value :-)) Excelent
My sister + kids + myself eat there every thursday for PIE - YUM
We eat there for Sunday Lunch at every opportunity - ie most sundays !!
Everything is home made, good quality meat & loads of choice of vegetables with the added bonus of lots of gravy. Mmmmm.
The only problem i have is that i never have room for a scrumptious PUD
Maybe aswell 'cos i've put a stone on since October. I blame Gillian for that ! LOL
Always a warm welcome & i don't just mean the coal fire

• Visited January 2013
2 Thank CarolyninBrawby

N Yorks
“Great Sunday lunch”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 January 2013

After recommendation from a friend we decided to pop to The Golden Lion for Sunday lunch. I must admit that after reading one of the reviews I was a little wary. I can however say that I am very pleased we did decide to go. For a family with two young children wanting a traditional Sunday lunch it was ideal, the food was good, tasty & plenty of it & it was excellent value for money. As for the staff we found them all extremely friendly & obliging at all times. Definitely worth a visit.

• Visited January 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Fiona P
Malton
“Excellent value for money”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 November 2012

Very tasty homemade food. Pie night is a must !
Sunday lunch is great value, just wish i had room for one of the lovely homemade sweets
Very welcoming, Ian remembers everyones name.
Friendly atmosphere with a roaring coal fire.
Can't beat this rare treat of a family run country pub, very down to earth.
I often recommend it to others

• Visited November 2012
5 Thank CarolyninBrawby
Newcastle, United Kingdom
“Appalling service”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 June 2012

Now I can cope with mediocre food if it comes with service with a smile and I can cope with grumpy service if the food is Michelin standard. Unfortunately The Golden Lion had the worst of both worlds. I've never been made to feel more unwelcome in a restaurant. It was as if they were doing us a favour by serving us. It's one of those village pubs where they don't seem to welcome "outsiders". Don't go unless you enjoy being made to feel as if they don't want you there.

Visited June 2012
19 Thank Liz H
Beckiboo1984, Manager at The Golden Lion, responded to this review, 6 November 2012
With response to the review i do apologise that this is way you feel. We try our best to make people feel welcome as do other front of house staff, especially for outsiders as there are a number of caravan sites around us and they bring young children ect also locals aswell wether they are from surrounding villages or area's or that little bit further away. However I do not agree though that you are saying that the service was appalling and that the food was mediocre as our kitchen staff and waitresses strive to provide excellent quality food and also excellent service. The food may not be michelin starred, and we are not trying to achieve this, we just want to provide good, honest quality pub food at affordable prices for families and individuals alike. I do aplogise once again, and sorry that you feel you had a bad experience.