“WHAT A MEAL AND HOTEL”

Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Malton
York, United Kingdom
“WHAT A MEAL AND HOTEL”
Reviewed 28 October 2013

This was our 2nd visit, on both occasions the food was some of the best I have had, the tasting menu with wines was first class, well balanced and simply perfect, I wish Craig and his team all the success they deserve. More awards are on the way
The hotel and service are of the highest standards
I cant complement this hotel enough

Room Tip: Try the Tasting Menu with wines
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Jeremy d, General Manager at The Talbot Hotel Malton, responded to this review, 29 October 2013
Dear Family05034,

Thank you very much for your kind feedback, it is very much appreciated.

I am delighted that you enjoyed the tasting menu that Craig and his team produced and also the very good wines that Dominique my Restaurant Manager chose to match it.

It was never our intention to go out and chase awards, but if some come our way, then I guess you usually get what you deserve?!

Your comments are sincerely welcomed and we all hope to see you again soon.

Jeremy du Plessis.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (344)
Harrogate, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 October 2013

We booked an overnight stay for a Sunday. On arrival at 11.30am we had a pleasant drink in the bar as our room was not ready. We asked to see the dinner menu for that evening and then asked to book a table. The very pleasant young man behind the bar said he would speak to the restaurant manager, which he did, but the manager did not come over to speak to us. We asked again if we could book and it was left to the barman to tell us the restaurant was fully booked that evening. We went for a walk round Malton to see if there were any restaurants that might be open but drew a blank so we went back to the hotel to cancel our stay. The receptionist called for the duty manager who just happened to be the restaurant manager. He said the restaurant was fully booked but we could either eat at 9pm or eat our meal in the bar, and that they had more bedrooms than could be accommodated in the restaurant. We decided to leave and drive home.

Dear Tinny2013,

Thank you for your feedback.

I note your comments regarding not being able to eat in our Restaurant until 9pm, or as another option given to you, in our Bar area.
However, I do not feel it fair that you expected us to have a table reserved for you at all as you were booked on a Bed and Breakfast rate and not Dinner inclusive.
We only set aside tables for those who wish to book Dinner.
The fact that my Manager offered you two options for dining, I believe was very fair as we did have a fully booked Resturant with a table wait list and a function of 90 people that evening.

I do know that at all times that my team will try to find a way to squeeze an extra table in here and there and surely a later table would have been better than none at all.

I am sorry that you felt the need to depart early, but I do believe that we did try to offer you some options, in what was already a fully booked Restaurant and Function Room.

Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 October 2013

Second time staying at the Talbot. I do like it here for a quiet relaxing couple of days. We visited Castle Howard and Whitby either side of our stay. Food in he restaurant was good, breakfast is very nice also. We will be back!

1 Thank Robre
Dear Robre,

Thank you very much for your review and we are all delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us.

We all hope that we have the pleasure to welcome you back again soon.

teesdale u k
Reviewed 25 October 2013 via mobile

My wife and I have just come back from a one night stay at the Talbot, where we had the tasting menu. The hotel has been very well renovated, and the public rooms are all delightful. The lounge with its open fires was particularly lovely, but the bar and atrium areas are also very nice spaces. The highlight was the dinner which was faultless, and amongst the best meals I have ever had. The service was just right. Levels and style of service are a matter of personal taste I know, but the absence of waiting staff reeling off a long list of ingredients as each course is served was a bonus as far as I was concerned, given that it was all on the menu which was helpfully left on the table. The amuse bouche was the one (helpful) exception - chestnut velouté with chocolate jelly, superb! The other welcome absence was anyone instructing us to "enjoy your starter" etc, and constant enquiries as to whether "everything is alright". The paired wines were a good choice although by the time I was negotiating the stairs after coffee and cognac I was wishing I hadn't succumbed to the extra pint of excellent Black Sheep before dinner! Two minor service faults were a very slow response to a request for tea on arrival, and erratic clearing of plates at breakfast. However, these in no way spoiled the overall experience. I am looking forward to our next visit!

Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank teesdalewanderer
Dear Teesdalewanderer,

Thank you very much for you very kind review.

I would appear that we managed to hit the right note with our service standards and the delivery of it. This is particularly pleasing to hear, as I know My Restaurant Manager Dominique and his team try hard to get things just right!
Thank you for telling us how much you enjoyed not only the hotel itself, but also the food as well.

We all hope that we can welcome you back again soon,

Hirwaun
Reviewed 25 October 2013

Had a wonderful recent stay at The Talbot Hotel in Malton. We booked as part of the James Martin offer, which included 2 nights bed and Dinner in the main restaurant, plus a bottle of champagne on arrival. This included a suite and it was a stunning room overlooking the gardens. The food was amazing. Even my husband, who is the James Martin fan was not put off by the haute cuisine portions. If this bothers you however, eat at lunchtime in the bar and order the chips or potatoes. I haven't enjoyed food this good since I ate at Marco Pierre White's restaurant some 20 years ago, and we do try to sample good food when we can afford it. The hotel has a lovely country homely feel and the staff are very friendly and attentive. Perfect for a romantic break.

Room Tip: Go for a Suite or a room facing the gardens. I would imagine the road side may be a little noisy as...
2 Thank SarahK202
Dear Sarah K202,

Thank you very much for your generous words and your lovely feedback.

We are all delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and were impressed by the service and the food we offered.

kind regards,

West Sussex
Reviewed 24 October 2013 via mobile

We stayed at The Talbot on one of their Autumn Getaway offers which was amazingly good value. We were very lucky to be given an upgrade to a feature room which was lovely. The food and service were excellent and overall we had a really nice time and would definitely recommend this hotel.

Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Thyme123
Dear Thyme123,

Thank you for your review and I am glad to see that you enjoyed your stay with us so much.

We all hope to see you back again soon.

Kingston-upon-Hull, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 October 2013 via mobile

We attended the Malton food festival and thought we should stay at the Talbot. The room was very spacious and very cozy. Our favourite part was the meal in James Martin's restaurant, it was superb and very reasonably priced. Amazing weekend.

Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank abrahamovervoorde
Jeremy d, General Manager at The Talbot Hotel Malton, responded to this review, 23 October 2013
Dear Abeus,

Thank you for your kind review, we all very much appreciate it.

I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us and hope to be able to welcome you back again soon.

Jeremy du Plessis.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Malton
The Old Lodge
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,511 reviews
The White Swan Inn
The White Swan Inn
#1 of 3 in Pickering

Been to The Talbot Hotel Malton? Share your experiences!