“Will Return!”

The Talbot Hotel Malton
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Malton
Reviewed 10 November 2013

We arrived at the Talbot somewhat weary after a long day's travel only to find Expedia had dropped our reservation. The manager, Dominique, went out of his way to rearrange the fully booked rooms finding us a lovely suite. It was comfortable, clean and a delight. Service was wonderful and after freshening up we enjoyed a terrific meal in their restaurant. After a good night's sleep and a welcomed breakfast we strolled the lovely gardens and grounds. It was indeed a wonderful treat to stay at this hotel.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Jeremy d, General Manager at The Talbot Hotel Malton, responded to this reviewResponded 21 November 2013

Dear J Douglass,

Thank you very much for your review following your recent stay with us at The Talbot.

We are all delighted that you enjoyed your time with us and hope to see you back again soon.

Reviewed 10 November 2013

Upon our arrival we (two couples) were greeted in a very friendly way, invited to leave our bags at reception (we were early) and told that they would be put in our rooms when they were available. When we reached our rooms there had been no muddle and a loose jacket had been hung in the wardrobe. There were bright white bathrobes, as well as bath sheets, hand towels and face flannels. We had pre-dinner drinks in the drawing room in front of the fire when we were offered the menu and the extensive (but not too expensive) wine list. Each course for each of us, as well as wine, were all really deliciously memorable. The beds were very comfortable and the breakfast was as good as the dinner. Throughout our stay the staff, from the general manager to the waiters, were all very efficient, friendly (without being over familiar) and thoroughly professional.

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the river will be quieter
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends

Dear Harmanell,

Thank you for sending your review following your recent stay.

We are delighted that you enjoyed your visit to The Talbot and hope to see you back again soon.

Reviewed 6 November 2013

We chose to eat at the Talbot Hotel in Malton for Sunday lunch because my wife wanted to see if Chef James Martin’s Yorkshire puddings were as good as he makes out!
When we arrived, we were taken to the Hotel lounge and offered coffee (we were 30 minutes earlier than our booking). We leisurely perused the menu which had a choice of four starters, mains and puds all for the set price of £20 or £25 depending on how many courses you wanted.
I chose smoked haddock risotto and roast beef whilst my wife chose a crab dish and also the roast beef. We were offered a selection of warm breads but only a small amount of butter by James Martin standards. My starter was piping hot (essential) and the flavour was exceptional. My wife enthused about her starter which was beautifully decorated even down to the brown crab crisp that was propped up in the little quenelle of watercress sorbet (she thinks – didn’t read the menu properly). The roast beef dinner, was in fact served with a crisp, rather large Yorkshire pudding which could have done with a bit more gravy (they call it meat jucice’s) but was cooked in beef dripping so had a superior flavour to that of my wife’s – however I do like a bit of ‘give’ in my Yorkshire (this is the only time when a soggy bottom is required). As for the roast potatoes, my wife could definitely give the kitchen a lesson on those – they do require a crisp exterior and fluffy inside unlike those experienced on Sunday although flavour again was good. The beef was cooked extremely well and was very tender and considering the hotel had a wedding reception in another part of the hotel, and a full dining room, the friendly, attentive staff coped admirably which made our experience most enjoyable. I notice some not so good reviews on trip advisor – well get over the fact that James is the executive chef (but not necessarily in residence); consider the whole experience and the value for money. Think like a canny Yorkshireman!

Dear Taximan 1959,

Thank you for taking the time to send us your feedback.

We are all very glad indeed that you enjoyed your visit overall and welcome your points of view regarding the other aspects of your meal.

We have discussed these points and thank you for letting us know.

We all hope to see you back again soon.

Reviewed 5 November 2013

Spent our anniversary weekend at the Talbot and it was an absolute delight. From the moment we walked through the door to the minute we left they could not do enough for us. Even our Choccie Lab Elena was made to feel part of the family.
I cannot recommend this Hotel highly enough. The James Martin restaurant was a perfect experience and the food was outstanding.
If you ever find yourself in Yorkshire and need a Hotel, treat yourself and stay here if only for one night. I am sure you deserve it.

Dear Steve JPMansfield,

Thank you very much for your review following your stay at The Talbot.

We are all delighted that you enjoyed your stay so much and we all look forward to welcoming you back again in the near future.

Reviewed 4 November 2013

This was our second stay at this superb Hotel. My girlfriend had arranged it as a surprise
anniversary weekend, so I am not sure of the cost, so can't comment on value for money.
We had a one night stay this time and were upgraded to Room No.3 on the ground floor, but with lovely views of the grounds.
The room was very spacious and beautifully decorated and furnished. We had a sofa and chairs in the seating area. The bed was comfy. Quality bed linens. We had a big bathroom, it was gorgeous, with free standing slipper bath,a big walk in shower. Lots of marble. Quality toiletries. The room was also quiet as it is away from the road which was nice. The room we had last time was a little noisy, but was on the road side.
The staff were all very pleasant and the service was excellent. The breakfast was very good. I had the Malton a full English and it really set you up for the day. My partner had a bacon roll with tomato chutney. There is a good choice of other cooked to order items as well as a cold buffet with the usual, cereals, juices, fruit and croissants etc.
We really enjoyed our stay here, Malton is a nice little town and well worth a visit. I can't recommend this hotel highly enough.

Dear Larnerdarren,

Thank you for taking the time review The Talbot following your recent stay.

We are delighted that you enjoyed all the aspects of your stay and we all hope to welcome you back again soon.

Reviewed 4 November 2013

I felt slightly disgruntled with this hotel before we arrived following a botched (in my opinion) last minute online booking on the hotel's own website - not a good start to a birthday weekend treat. So it's testament to this excellent hotel they turned my opinion around but with a couple of provisos - the soundproofing in our room and that booking experience regarding dinner.

We stayed two nights in a Malton room which was clean, reasonably spacious with great bed and linen and a fabulous bathroom. However, shortly after settling in our hearts sank because we could clearly hear the conversation of the occupants of the room next door - and they seemed to be talking normally and not raising their voices. A bit of investigation showed that our shared wall (we had room 26) is a very thin stud wall. As our tv was positioned against the shared wall, no doubt the occupants of the room next door would have known what channel we were watching too... But we needed the tv on low to ensure we didn't hear their conversation. And it's a little disconcerting to wake up in the morning to hear so clearly someone in the next room sneezing as if they are in the same room. I suspect this soundproofing problem isn't widespread across the hotel as it would have been mentioned more often and perhaps we were just unlucky getting the room that had been subdivided. We didn't hear anything the second night so I suspect the occupants hadn't asked to move because they could hear our telly!

Unfortunately we only had dinner on the first night of our two-night stay - I say unfortunately because we enjoyed a fabulous meal with superb, discreet yet friendly service and we'd have loved to repeat the experience on the second evening. Just a word of warning to anyone who is considering a last minute booking for dinner bed and breakfast at the weekend - don't book it on the hotel's website, ring them up instead and check they have a dinner table available at a reasonable time before you book. I booked online a few days before naively thinking that as the hotel was still selling two-night DBB packages on its website for that weekend they would have tables available at reasonable dining times - unfortunately this wasn't the case. Shortly after making the booking I received an email saying that table availability was very limited and they could only offer us 6.30pm or 9pm on Friday and only 9.30pm on Sat. We could just about live with the Friday times but didn't feel that 9.30pm (or at least 10pm by the time we started to eat) was reasonable on the Saturday. So I emailed and asked if we could change our booking to bed and breakfast only on the Saturday because we'd need to reluctantly find dinner elsewhere. I then received a reply to say that we'd booked a two night package but as a 'gesture of goodwill' we could have bed and breakfast only on the Saturday. I think it was my goodwill being tested here rather than the hotel's! Had I realised before making the booking that the dinner table choices would be so early or late I may well have decided to book a different hotel.

But on balance I'm glad I didn't. There are so many positives about this hotel. All the staff we met on reception, in the bar, at dinner and breakfast were exceptional and set just the right tone - friendly, relaxed and also professional. Dinner (shame it was just the one!) was one of the best meals I have eaten. Breakfast great, freshly cooked and really sets you up for the day. Although this may seem like a mixed review overall it's hard not to warm to this lovely hotel and I would say that the Talbot punches above its weight.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Hackn8y,

Thank you for taking the time to send us your feedback. I am glad that you enjoyed your stay and found The Talbot to be a nice place to visit.

There are a few times now and again when our Restaurant is so busy, we can offer an early or late Dinner time, simply as we cannot have everybody sitting cetween 7.30-8.30. It just would not be possible to feed everybody at the same time!

I am sorry that these available times were not to your liking, cut we do try and fit everyone in!

Thank you for taking the time to let us know your feedback and we will take your points of biew on board.

Reviewed 3 November 2013

From arrival to departure the Talbot surpassed expectation. Having never visited Malton we will be sure to return due to the surpassed service and experience we enjoyed. Dinner was a pleasure, simply a pleasure.The courses were timed, presented and cooked to perfection. Knowledgeable and always available staff made the entire experience one I only hope to repeat in the future. Huge thank you to Jeremy and the rest of the staff at the Talbot. Until next time.....

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Hannah170883,

We are all delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us so much and all hope to see you back again soon.

Jeremy du Plessis.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Malton
The Old Lodge
The White Swan Inn
#1 of 3 in Pickering
Best Western Forest & Vale Hotel
The Grand Hotel & Spa

Been to The Talbot Hotel Malton? Share your experiences!