“Just a couple of niggles”

The Talbot Hotel Malton
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Malton
Reviewed 22 December 2013

Overall our stay was good but there were just a couple of little niggles that stopped it being an exceptional stay. We booked the gourmet taster menu with 'wine flight'. On arrival we were left wondering where to register. There is a desk tucked away under the stairs but no-one there and when we asked a member of staff where we register the reply was 'down there on the right'. A little later a receptionist turned up. Our room was one of the junior suites and we couldn't fault this. Four poster bed, lovely views, clean, large light bathroom etc. The bed was comfortable and the night was quiet and we had a good night's sleep. Fantastic. During dinner the wines arrived a few minutes before the food giving time to taste etc. The food was excellent, well prepared, well presented and is probably the best dinner I have had so far. With one of the courses the wine failed to appear and had to be requested but turned up eventually. Coffee and brandy failed to appear and when we asked we were told 'most people are full by now and don't want any'. I would have thought a question would establish if we wanted coffee rather than assume. Coffee was served in the sitting room, but arrived with no brandy and this had to be asked for again. We were left feeling that if they could get away with providing these things it would just be extra profit. This was reinforced the next morning when we checked out and on the bill there was an extra £54 for wines that were included in the price (another pure profit item had we not queried it). The extra cost was removed when queried but no apology was offered. We received a feedback request from the hotel the day after our return which we completed, raising the issues raised here and in addition emailed the manager (Mr du Plessis) but to date have not even had the courtesy of a reply. Yes, these are just minor niggles but they stopped it being an exceptional Christmas treat fir us.

Room Tip: We looked in the standard room and these seemed quite large but for an extrat reat upgrade to a juni...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Jeremy d, General Manager at The Talbot Hotel Malton, responded to this reviewResponded 23 December 2013

Dear Sando 1954,

Thank you for your recent review, I am sorry to have not been able to reply to your comments on our guest survey, I have not received it on my e-mail bounce back.

I would be delighted if you would call me at The Talbot at a convenient time for you and allow me the opportunity to go through certain aspects of your stay.

I look forward to hearing from you soon and in the meantime, I would like to wish you are very happy Festive Season from us all at The Talbot.

My kind regards,

Jeremy.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,334)

Reviewed 21 December 2013 via mobile

I booked this hotel for my partners birthday and was not disappointed! The room was spacious, well equipped and clean with a huge comfortable bed! We had the 6 course tasting menu for dinner which was amazing, each course was delicious! All of the staff we met were very friendly and helpful. The breakfast buffet selection was lovely, we also enjoyed the "full talbot" breakfast. I would thoroughly recommend this hotel and restaurant and hope to visit again.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Roxy20,

Thank you for your review following a recent stay.

We are all delighted that you enjoyed yourselves so much and we hope to see you both back again soon.

Wishing you a very pleasant Festive Season from us all at The Talbot.

Kind regards.

Jeremy.

Reviewed 19 December 2013

I had already reviewed this hotel last week, but somehow my review and the Managers response have disappeared of Tripadvisor's site. so I will try and review again.

We were with a large group having our Christmas party. It was a black tie "Do".
Check in was swift and easy, the young porter insisted taking our luggage to our room, which was a nice surprise. When we entered our room it was obvious that the room had been missed as it just had not been cleaned. The young man was very embarraed but soon organised staff to clean the room.
Because it was a black tie event, my wife had to go to her friends room to get changed and put her under pressure. I had to go down to the bar and wait for the room to be cleaned. It might have been nice for the Hotel to offer a complimentary drink.

the room was cold and draughty and as much as we tried, we could not get the radiator to work.

The food was acceptable but you cannot go really wrong with a traditional Christmas dinner.

We were missed out with the deserts, and had to bring it to the staffs attention. I would have thought they would have asked us or mention something to us.. My wife and I went for the Christmas pudding and I have to say it was like rubber. I think that it had been over microwaved.

The hotel lacked a Christmas atmosphere, just a few red baubles hanging from the lights, where we were eating. I think the Christmas tree was being put up on the Sunday morning.

If the club decides to go there again next year, then for sure we would not attend.
Graham S
Malvern UK

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
Jeremy d, General Manager at The Talbot Hotel Malton, responded to this reviewResponded 20 December 2013

Dear Graham S,

I am surprised that this review has re appeared after being taken down for misleading content, however I will happily add our comments again to let people make their own minds up.

We a truly sorry that your room was not ready upon your arrival and I accept that this was our mishap.

However, the room was serviced straight away by three members of our team and was ready very speedily, allowing plenty of time in which to prepare for the evening ahead.

Our central heating is never usually a problem as we have a new system throughout the house and indeed, during your stay, it was so very mild that we were asked not to light the fires!

Every room has an individual control on the heating and I am sure that as nobody else had mentioned any other heating issues over the 24 hours of your stay, it could have been we may have needed to ''bleed'' your radiator. This does sometimes occur and with notification, would have been sorted in ten minutes.

I have checked with your groups organiser, Mr Burgar regarding the other comments that you have made regarding desserts and your thoughts concerning the general decorations around the house.
He assures me that you did not order any dessert, although you were requested to. This seemed to be the case on a previous trip you had in Scotland. Not a major issue to us, but it was not ordered. The comments regarding your meal from the party were very favourable and people seemed to love their experience.

There were no desserts put into a microwave at any stage, although unfortunately for Chef, as we were about to serve the party with their individual choices, it was decided to stop proceedings to do a prize giving. We did try to keep everything as fresh as possible and as I mentioned to the organisers after the meal, it is always better to have these gaps in service planned before hand for obvious reasons!

The decorations were put up as directed by your group's organisers and we have got some great copies of the group photograph around our 11 foot Christmas tree in our main hallway and it looks very good with you all laughing and smiling. However, it does leave me at a loss as to your comment about us not having one up as there was also another very large one in our Atrium and Bar area where you had your Band and dancing later on in the evening?!

I am delighted that The Ferrari Owners Club have decided to book again for next year's Christmas Party and we are so pleased with the letters and comments that people have sent to us following their stay.

Your remarks concerning our rooms and comparing them to a Travel Lodge I feel best to leave alone and let the past, present and future visitors to our wonderful house make up their own minds.

We would all be delighted if you decide to join your group next year and give us the opportunity to win back your favour. However, that is your choice.

We all wish you a very happy Festive Period and thank you for letting us have your thoughts.

My kindest regards.

Reviewed 19 December 2013

We stayed here to celebrate my birthday just before Christmas. We were on the special gourmet break - £199 to include B and B and the tasting menu plus matching wines. We were allocated an excellent bedroom on the ground floor. Everything from start to finish was first class - could not really fault it. Tasting menu was well balanced and they substituted a wine for the sake which we are not particularly fond of. Breakfast was also enjoyable. Tea and coffee is brought to your room on request and there is no additional charge for this.

Dear TJG51,

Thank you for your recent review, we all very much appreciate it.

We are delighted that you enjoyed yourselves so much and enjoyed the food, service and rooms at The Talbot.

Have an enjoyable Festive Period and we all hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 16 December 2013

We had the pleasure of staying at The Talbot for three nights in the Junior Suite [room 16]. The room was beautifully appointed, comfortable, quiet and with views over the river. We ate in the restaurant and the food was absolutely excellent, with plenty of choice and cooked to perfection, and our stay was made special by the staff. They were lovely, warm and friendly, nothing was too much trouble even a hot steaming pot of tea to wake up with!

Dear Grannysum,

Thank you for your comments, they are very much welcomed by us all.

We are delighted that you enjoyed everything about The Talbot and we all wish you a very enjoyable Festive Period.

Reviewed 13 December 2013

This hotel was finished beautifully and the attention to detail outstanding.

We ate in the restaurant and enjoyed the taster menu, I am a hungry chap but found the small plates very satisfying after my 7 courses. Contrary to a previous comment about having a big lunch in advance to make sure you don't go hungry.

We took our dog along and he seemed to enjoy himself too.

Dear Ian M,

Thank you for your kind review, it is very much appreciated by us all.

We are delighted that you enjoyed yourselves so much and we look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed 10 December 2013 via mobile

My partner and I stayed at The Talbot for 2 nights in the Fitzwilliam suite. Wow! The room was quite simply beautiful, fabulous views over Malton and beyond and extremely well equipped. We ate in the restaurant on both evenings and were blown away by the food - we both agree that it could quite possibly have been the best meal we have ever eaten (the beef is something else!). On top of the amazing room and the sensational food, the staff really make this hotel special. Everybody we encountered were friendly, helpful, knowledgeable and clearly enjoyed their jobs which shone through. We felt completely at home here and both agreed that we would have loved to have stayed much, much longer! We will definitely be returning as soon as we can. Thank you to everyone at The Talbot for making our stay so memorable.

• Stayed: December 2013
Jeremy d, General Manager at The Talbot Hotel Malton, responded to this reviewResponded 11 December 2013

Dear Talia31,

Well well !! You really did enjoy yourselves at The Talbot.

I am really pleased that you all had such a good time and we managed to make your stay so special.

You are very generous with your kind words of praise for all my team of staff and it is also really nice to be told how much you enjoyed the food and the rest of the Hotel.

We all look forward to being able to welcome you back again soon and wish you a very enjoyable Festive period ahead.

Jeremy du Plessis.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Malton
The Old Lodge
#1 of 3 in Pickering
Middlethorpe Hall & Spa
Feversham Arms Hotel & Verbena Spa
Best Western Forest & Vale Hotel

Been to The Talbot Hotel Malton? Share your experiences!